Why not, bring the T6 Ranger

Mackintire

Ford,

Why don't you bring the T6 Ranger to the US? The smaller Eco-boost engines may be a good option for the parts trucks and eco-boxes. But we do need a larger 2.5 liter sized Eco-boost type engine with 280+ HP. If this truck has good payload and decent mileage you will sell a pile of them. The truck needs to fit a lifestyle. Basically it needs to be superior to both the Tacoma and the Frontier. The SUV version needs to be directed towards limited production, Forest rangers, boarder patrol and those types of applications. I really don't want to purchase a Tacoma in 2013. The F150 is way too big and the fuel mileage is 4 MPG worse than what I am looking for. Ideally I would like to purchase something that can tow 3000lbs with ease, handles 1000lb loads from HomeDepot without damage and occasionally handle 5000lb tow loads for short durations. 24MPG is what I expect. I would want the sync system and refinement fitting of a modern truck. I personally have owned 4 Rangers. My 2001 ext cab 4x4 was the first Ranger I have not damaged in what I refer to as "normal use". The T6 project looks interesting, but if such a truck does not make it to the US, I will have to shop around for the closest available replacement.

I am hoping that Mr.Farley takes a good look at this market and considers our opinions.

Best Regards,

Your customer.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the very small minority that agrees with you completely.With both the Ranger and Sport Trac going away the choices for those of us who don't require a full sized truck are few at Ford. And growing fewer.The option of a 5 1/2 foot bed on the F 150 super Cab has also been eliminated. I think we may see the T-6 in 2012 but I fear that it will marketed mainly to those looking for fuel economy. The latest articles I dug up on Google described engines as a 1.6 eco-boost at 175 hp and 180 lb/ft torque and a 3.0 diesel. I doubt the diesel makes it here. I'm hoping for an optional engine in the 275-300 HP range. There are those who would argue that,like the current Ranger,it wouldn't sell unless the fuel economy was markedly better than the F 150. That's been verified by falling sales over the last few years. However,with the F 150 growing ever larger and retail prices approaching $35000 to $40000 to get it well equipped, Ford may find takers for some loaded T-6 trucks.

• 4 weeks later...
No Ecoboost in T6, atleast not at launch.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...UTO04/912300316

It seems like decades since the Ranger pickup was updated. The current Ranger will fade away in 2011 and be replaced by a new model in 2012. Derived from a new platform to be used around the world, the U.S. model is expected to be powered by a direct-injection, turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-4 with 175 horsepower. Ford also may drop the Ranger name in favor of F-100.

It seems like decades since the Ranger pickup was updated. The current Ranger will fade away in 2011 and be replaced by a new model in 2012. Derived from a new platform to be used around the world, the U.S. model is expected to be powered by a direct-injection, turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-4 with 175 horsepower. Ford also may drop the Ranger name in favor of F-100.

well at least they are not reviving the courier nameplate...good truck really..my neighbor had a new one in 81...ran good and with gas at 50 cents a few bux is all we needed to look for girls

Cruising for chicks in a Courier....you must've been knockin' em dead and that chick magnet..... :hysterical:

Has to be better than what my dad let me drive in high schoo - an orange Hornet station wagon with plaid seats!

At least I knew the girls were interested in me and not the car......

And the other option was a crap brown 4 door maverick with vinyl seats........

They're wrong.

T6 is not F100 and will not be heading to the States anytime soon.

They're wrong.

T6 is not F100 and will not be heading to the States anytime soon.

Ford's already done 2 U-turns in the last 24 months. I wouldn't be surprised if they "changed their minds" again.

Current rumors are either: 4 cylinder EB 150 or T6 in some customized variation. Its some sort of managment on-again off-again cycle.

Ford's already done 2 U-turns in the last 24 months. I wouldn't be surprised if they "changed their minds" again.

Current rumors are either: 4 cylinder EB 150 or T6 in some customized variation. Its some sort of managment on-again off-again cycle.

That's true and certainly a possibility, but I know Ford AUS haven't been doing the work for a N.A T6. If N.A have the resources and they're doing it, then it's a maybe.

That's true and certainly a possibility, but I know Ford AUS haven't been doing the work for a N.A T6. If N.A have the resources and they're doing it, then it's a maybe.

I'm lead to believe that while the US specs for T6 couldn be put under its envelope, that was in 2006 and much has changed in the meantime. I still believe that the US will transfer as many V6 Ranger buyers as it can onto the next 3.7 V6 8' bed F Truck (F100?)

but I-4 buyers might be steered towards an Explorer pick up product with EB I-4.....

The NA market needs a truck smaller than the F150 that much is for sure. I don't understand why they wouldn't use the T6 here. Under the ONe Ford plan there's no excuse to not bring it here. The F150 is getting to expensive and with the CAFE getting more strict soon the T6 is the only viable option. Its ounds more and more like Ford is going to dump the market share to Nissan and Toyota which will leave me driving a 99 Explorer for the next 20 years.

I still believe that the US will transfer as many V6 Ranger buyers as it can onto the next 3.7 V6 8' bed F Truck (F100?)

but I-4 buyers might be steered towards an Explorer pick up product with EB I-4.....

I think an F100 makes a ton of sense, if it's basically a smaller, less capable, version of the F150. If that is the route Ford goes, I cannot see a unibody Explorer based truck being less expensive.

The F-100 would work if Ford can justify it with sales volume. They can beat Toyota by having a product design specifically for the US market.

Without a large sales demand in this size of vehicle, the T6 Ranger makes more sense. We likely would likely have to wait for a 3 year design cycle to get the T6 legal for the US.

I think an F100 makes a ton of sense, if it's basically a smaller, less capable, version of the F150. If that is the route Ford goes, I cannot see a unibody Explorer based truck being less expensive.

If you look at how the current Explorer is made, to get the rigidity, it is essentially a unibody design sitting on top of a full frame. The frame does not add that much weight, but does take up space by raising the floor.

• 1 month later...

The F-100 would work if Ford can justify it with sales volume. They can beat Toyota by having a product design specifically for the US market.

Without a large sales demand in this size of vehicle, the T6 Ranger makes more sense. We likely would likely have to wait for a 3 year design cycle to get the T6 legal for the US.

Toyota Tacoma is specifically designed for the US market too...

I think the bottom line on the Ranger is this - the compact pickup truck market in the US is either very low margin fleet sales or "lifestyle" purchases. The "lifestyle" buyers will still consider a unibody truck based on D3 platform, which makes much more sense. Or they will buy a high MPG F-150 if Ford decides to make one. The low margin parts runner for Autozone is not worth the effort to introduce a while new platform in the US. They can buy a Transit Connect and it will work just as well (probably better). Either way, the volume is too small to support assembly of the truck in the US.

The only way I see T6 making to the US is if somehow the Chicken tax is repealed and Ford can import the truck from Thailand. The US-Thailand free trade pact which would have eliminated the Chicken Tax on Ranger was not ratified... this is why Ford changed its mind on T6. If they have the option of importing the truck to test the water, they would surely do it - the same way they tested the water on Transit Connect.

Edited by bzcat

Toyota Tacoma is specifically designed for the US market too...

I think the bottom line on the Ranger is this - the compact pickup truck market in the US is either very low margin fleet sales or "lifestyle" purchases. The "lifestyle" buyers will still consider a unibody truck based on D3 platform, which makes much more sense. Or they will buy a high MPG F-150 if Ford decides to make one. The low margin parts runner for Autozone is not worth the effort to introduce a while new platform in the US. They can buy a Transit Connect and it will work just as well (probably better). Either way, the volume is too small to support assembly of the truck in the US.

The only way I see T6 making to the US is if somehow the Chicken tax is repealed and Ford can import the truck from Thailand. The US-Thailand free trade pact which would have eliminated the Chicken Tax on Ranger was not ratified... this is why Ford changed its mind on T6. If they have the option of importing the truck to test the water, they would surely do it - the same way they tested the water on Transit Connect.

Well with the new EPA rules released yesterday, I suppose unless Ford can get the F150 to Average 28 MPG by 2016 we WILL be seeing the T6 Ranger.