2011 Mustang 3.7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they just holding out on the 5.0 until like Detroit? Or will we see it this week in LA? Or will we not see the 5.0 until August?

It seems to me like they are positioning the Mustang as the American alternative to the 370Z or G37 coupe. Similar weight profile, now similar power, better mileage. Probably similar acceleration with the 3.31 and similar driving characteristics.

How long until Ford starts comparing it directly to the Nissan and Hyundai? Are they trying to pre-empt the Toyobaru? It somehow feels like the Camaro is no longer the target of the Mustang. Sure, similar power/efficiency of the base engine, but everything else is so much higher quality that they don't even seem to be in the same class now.

Okay I'm confused, or this is a typo. How do you have roller finger followers AND DAMB ? The last 3.5L I saw just had DAMB. I need a picture.

The high output is due largely to Ti-VCT which allows variable control of valve operation across the rev range. The variable cams operate on a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain using polished buckets
and roller finger followers
to reduce friction.

Edited by theoldwizard

In your face everyone who says change your oil every 3,000 miles !

A die-cast aluminum deep-sump oil pan provides 10,000-mile oil change intervals, saving drivers money on maintenance and resulting in less waste in oil disposal.

Although, I would certainly be using at least a synthetic blend, if not a full synthetic oil.

Obviously this is under "normal" driving conditions.

Edited by theoldwizard

Do automotive writers actually ever read what they write and realize how little sense it makes ?

From Jalopnik

T
here's also a new auto, an all-Ford 6-speed automatic transmission called the 6R80. It's
the same box
that goes into the 6.2-liter equipped Ford SVT Raptor with different guts.

If the guts are different, then I'll bet the case is different. Furthermore, I'll bet there isn't more than a handful of incidental parts (sensors, solenoids, etc) that are actually common between the 6R80 and its big brother that is going behind the Raptor 6.2L.

Similar design does not equal "same". Sure the 6F35, 6F50 and 6F55 are similar, or all from the same design family. That does not make them "the same"

Edited by theoldwizard

Damn, the V6 with the performance pack should be a killer in the turns! For once I'd be satisfied with the V6, and for the price will be a performance bargain, I think I might stop waiting for another SVT Focus and trade my 2600 pound, FWD, gas guzzling Focus for one of these fuel sipping, 305 horsepower gas sippers.. :shades:

Do automotive writers actually ever read what they write and realize how little sense it makes ?

From Jalopnik

T
here's also a new auto, an all-Ford 6-speed automatic transmission called the 6R80. It's
the same box
that goes into the 6.2-liter equipped Ford SVT Raptor with different guts.

If the guts are different, then I'll bet the case is different. Furthermore, I'll bet there isn't more than a handful of incidental parts (sensors, solenoids, etc) that are actually common between the 6R80 and its big brother that is going behind the Raptor 6.2L.

Similar design does not equal "same". Sure the 6F35, 6F50 and 6F55 are similar, or all from the same design family. That does not make them "the same"

The press release calls it a 6R60, my insider told me it's a ZF built under licence by Ford.

In your face everyone who says change your oil every 3,000 miles !

A die-cast aluminum deep-sump oil pan provides 10,000-mile oil change intervals, saving drivers money on maintenance and resulting in less waste in oil disposal.

Although, I would certainly be using at least a synthetic blend, if not a full synthetic oil.

Obviously this is under "normal" driving conditions.

+1

Okay I'm confused, or this is a typo. How do you have roller finger followers AND DAMB ? The last 3.5L I saw just had DAMB. I need a picture.

The high output is due largely to Ti-VCT which allows variable control of valve operation across the rev range. The variable cams operate on a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain using polished buckets
and roller finger followers
to reduce friction.

Maybe he needs finger followers for his keyboard. This engine is a real hoot to drive.

"...Finally, just because the powertrain is the big story with the 2011 Mustang V6 doesn't mean there's aren't significant upgrades elsewhere in the car. Standard now are GT disc brakes all around, optional 19 inch wheels, stiffer bushings, bigger stabilizer bar, dual exhaust standard, low rolling resistance tires, and 7% better aerodynamics because fascia tuning, an underbody tray and wheel spats. Anyone who's been in the convertible knew cowl shake was a problem, and as such Ford's stiffened things quite a bit, the 2011 is over 1000% stiffer than the 2010. That's not a typo. The improvements come in underbody and cowl cross-bracing and structural foam injected into the door pillars. 1000%, pretty impressive..."

:ohsnap:

"...What we are interested in is the rather off-hand comment from one of the engineers regarding the track pack. Optional on the V6, the track pack turns things up a notch and makes it a track-day special. Said unnamed engineer mentioned there's a distinct possibility the track-pack equipped V6 will not only stick with the V8 track-pack 'Stang, it might even outrun it. Well, we would certainly be happy to test that theory out..."

:ohsnap::ohsnap::hysterical:

Edited by mettech

I like this news.

But this engine/trans should have been in the 2010.

Welcome to The Way Forward !

New/refreshed bodies ("top hats") will not wait for new powertrains. I suspect only hard core enthusiasts hard find this to be illogical.

Happened with the Escape.

Happening now with both Mustang and F150.

Welcome to The Way Forward !

New/refreshed bodies ("top hats") will not wait for new powertrains. I suspect only hard core enthusiasts hard find this to be illogical.

Happened with the Escape.

Happening now with both Mustang and F150.

OTOH - the new Taurus debuted with a new tophat, interior and the EB 3.5L all at the same time. I think it's just a matter of timing rather than a predetermined strategy. If the engines are ready they go in - if not then they have to wait.

I like it. I do wish they worked on the tail light section though. I'm trying to get use to it but, the 05-09 rear is just much better IMO. But overall a good job.

I dunno more and more I see the 2010/11 Mustang the more I like about it, including the tail of it...the 05-09 models are too flat and upright looking....I still love my 06 GT, but I really do like the detail styling changes they did to the new Mustang.