2011 Fiesta OFFICIAL REVEAL!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next year's SEMA should be very interesting. Maybe Ford will have some interesting stuff, like paddle-shifters and EB . . . :)

this time round, regular aspiration for me...may NOT have the ooooomph I am used to, but I DO enjoy working an engine......Grill on the hatch i am not sold on, but in Black that will be trivial, and as you mentioned my friend, SEMA should be a hoot, and I'm guessing Grills will be a MAJOR player....

Red lighting is probably there because of the LCD display. Can't go 'ice blue' and keep a red LCD display; can't switch the LCD display to blue without causing headaches from the supplier.

Will probably get more standardized with the 1.5 version.

Oh, and Nick, my parents' '72 Galaxie 500 had green instrument lighting. Ford had been 'green' for years. Longer than they've been using Eurostile for all the instrumentation.

I prefer the Blue-Green lighting on my Mustang and T-Bird to Red lighting. The Red is harsh and reminds me of Pontiacs of the '80s.

Apparently every single 21 year old can't afford cars now--what is this trolling-baiting? We can't get disappointed? We can't fall in love with a design and expect reasonable design changes? We can't demand quality on the second most important purchase next to your home?

Who said I have sons? I'm 28 and I dont like children. How does demanding quality correlate to the lack of foglamps and a different grille?

I value design and quality. The original design was aggressive but the lines were simplistic and well done. It didn't feel or look busy. The US version looks fantastic A pillar to rear. But the front, what we focus on and tend to remember just looks cheap and the design is messy. I mean for example, the LED light bars that replace the fog lights are vertical compared to the horizontal-centric elements of the rest of the front. Also the way the hood ends and the plastic insert just don't look right in relations to the headlights. The grill itself is painted body color but is a separate element from the hood and the bumper--almost like it should match the lower air dam but if you paint it black it will definitely not look right, as well. Another note on the grill and hood is that they meet on a sharp straight angle while everything else has a smooth curve. Also, the air dam has chrome lining, the light bars have solid chrome gils, and the grill has no chrome. There's no uniformity in the design language.

If you look at the continuity of the design up front, the vertical placement of the LEDs does work with the trapezoidal opening of the grille. The shape of the grille is of similar shape to the lower opening. I think the grille would look better a contrasting color however. A dark grey would break it up. That really is my only complaint about the hatchback grille. I already mentioned the sedan tri bar grille is ugly. Now THAT grille is non cohesive to anything on this car.

Granted, I haven't seen the US-spec Fiesta up close I have seen the Euro Fiesta and drove it and loved it so much that I decided I would be irrational and buy a new Fiesta and keep it forever.

Look I'm a Ford fan and I've been rooting for Ford for since I could drive. My first vehicle was a Ford. But I was expecting more. It's a nice design, better than all the rest in its class I completely agree.

Of course, I'm a Ford fan too, my sig shows that Ive owned nothing but Fords, but to dismiss an entire vehicle over a grille and foglamps? seriously? It is still hard to fathom how absolute adoration of an entire vehicle can be totally dismissed because of a grille and foglamps. I wasnt aware that a grille and foglamps affected how a vehicle drives, feels inside or performs.

Also, not everyone likes a Mustang.

Edited by Sixt9coug

actually the LED bars and surround ( eeeek on the Chrome, Black for mine ) are actually more cohesive than the Euro round foggies, the bars follow the contour lines of the sides PERFECTLY....and dont poo poo the LEDS, without hands on who is to say they are INFERIOR?

A few years ago, my buddies in Livonia trans were claiming that the PowerShift was within 1 or 2 mpg both city and highway of a 5 speed manual !

interestingly enough Wiz, I have seen RECENT specs on cars ( Mustang for instance ) where the Auto is rated SUPERIOR Hwy.....and with 6 cogs compared with the Manuals 5, I would beleive it. However, driving here is NOT a constant pace, slow down speed up, stop, flip someone off, honk the horn, emergency avoidence moves etc etc...so City mileage will be more indicative of true average....and y'know, 40 freeway is commendable irrespective...

Edited by Deanh

Sounds like Powershift would be perfect for a lot mixed driving conditions, I hope buyers really take to it.

I'm lost on the powershift quip, is it different than the norm, if so how?,,,less frictional losses, parasitic? is it more efficient? I always equated the nomiker to an auto that HAD paddles....Wiz?

I'm lost on the powershift quip, is it different than the norm, if so how?,,,less frictional losses, parasitic? is it more efficient?

You got it Deanh.

Think of Powershift as being two parallel manual transmissions (even # gears/odd # gears) in a single housing, with mechatronics handling the shifting and clutch engagement rather than a human being. As with any dry clutch manual transmission compared to a traditional torque converter automatic, the Powershift should have fewer frictional and parasitic losses. It should be even more efficient than the VW/BorgWarner DSG tranny (as that uses a wet clutch).

OldWizard- please correct me if this is wrong.

Edited by aneekr

You got it Deanh.

Think of Powershift as being two parallel manual transmissions (even # gears/odd # gears) in a single housing, with mechatronics handling the shifting and clutch engagement rather than a human being. As with any dry clutch manual transmission compared to a traditional torque converter automatic, the Powershift should have fewer frictional and parasitic losses. It should be even more efficient than the VW/BorgWarner DSG tranny (as that uses a wet clutch).

OldWizard- please correct me if this is wrong.

me bad, pays to read the whole article...but thanks neeker, your description is easier to comprehend....hmmm, must drive both,,,I'm a Manual stalwart though....something about heel and toe i enjoy

interestingly enough Wiz, I have seen RECENT specs on cars ( Mustang for instance ) where the Auto is rated SUPERIOR Hwy.....and with 6 cogs compared with the Manuals 5, I would beleive it. However, driving here is NOT a constant pace, slow down speed up, stop, flip someone off, honk the horn, emergency avoidence moves etc etc...so City mileage will be more indicative of true average....and y'know, 40 freeway is commendable irrespective...

The Mustang V6 also has a 6 speed manual in it for 2011 :P

But anyways, that is impressive mileage with an Automatic..I'm sure they can control the shifting to produce better MPG then with a stick unless your hypermilling.....

I'm lost on the powershift quip, is it different than the norm, if so how?,,,less frictional losses, parasitic? is it more efficient? I always equated the nomiker to an auto that HAD paddles....Wiz?

They're in our diesel Focus, it still has a standard shifter but you can drive it like a semi auto.

I haven't experienced it personally but reports are that it's pretty slick and handles the torque well.

The Mustang V6 also has a 6 speed manual in it for 2011 :P

But anyways, that is impressive mileage with an Automatic..I'm sure they can control the shifting to produce better MPG then with a stick unless your hypermilling.....

yep...I think Ford missed an oppurtunity in the Fiestas case as well...6 speed manual would have been fantatstic, oh well maybe in a sports varient....

yep...I think Ford missed an oppurtunity in the Fiestas case as well...6 speed manual would have been fantatstic, oh well maybe in a sports varient....

It's probably lack of money; they've spent large to get the Ford/Getrag DSG in production, and sure, a 6-sp manual would be great, but the DSG is much more important for the vehicle launch.

But there should be an "ST" or "RS" version in maybe a year (because of Europe, if nothing else), so a 6-sp manual could still arrive.

Me, I'd just like to see a 3-door with a 6-sp DSG — with paddles. :)

I will reserve judgment until the Build and Price comes out on Ford's site, but I suspect that if I am able to overcome the red lighting (80's Pontiacs, as indicated above? Pfft---that was still on my 01 Sunfire--uggh), once I include the features I would want, it ends up pushing low 20's. Am I aiming too high? Maybe since there aren't too many variants now (one engine, 2 transmissions), the features become value-driven? Leather, EATC, auto, no nav---perhaps 18.5k?

The size in and of itself doesn't bother me---as long as it gets an IIHS Top Pick, I'm ok w/ the safety---but I drove hamster-powered 4 bangers my whole life until the Fusion and I'm not about to go back. This car would have to surprise me with its pull to get me to buy it. But that's ok---not every car is for everybody. I'm just happy Ford is going to have what I think will be the best car in the segment.

EDIT: Just got a tweet from Ford that soon there will be the availability to "customize your own Fiesta with no obligation to buy and no deposit required". That sounds interesting and I wonder what it means? That you could "order" one and see it at the dealer without having to buy it??

Edited by BrewfanGRB

I will reserve judgment until the Build and Price comes out on Ford's site, but I suspect that if I am able to overcome the red lighting (80's Pontiacs, as indicated above? Pfft---that was still on my 01 Sunfire--uggh), once I include the features I would want, it ends up pushing low 20's. Am I aiming too high? Maybe since there aren't too many variants now (one engine, 2 transmissions), the features become value-driven? Leather, EATC, auto, no nav---perhaps 18.5k?

The size in and of itself doesn't bother me---as long as it gets an IIHS Top Pick, I'm ok w/ the safety---but I drove hamster-powered 4 bangers my whole life until the Fusion and I'm not about to go back. This car would have to surprise me with its pull to get me to buy it. But that's ok---not every car is for everybody. I'm just happy Ford is going to have what I think will be the best car in the segment.

EDIT: Just got a tweet from Ford that soon there will be the availability to "customize your own Fiesta with no obligation to buy and no deposit required". That sounds interesting and I wonder what it means? That you could "order" one and see it at the dealer without having to buy it??

will be an internet "build your own" I beleive....

Sounds dangerous but less dangerous than selling a car and giving an option to return it after several months of use.

Could be a very good marketing move. Give people the freedom to order their dream car. After getting it, who would want to turn it down.

Ford was supposed to release pricing info on Fiesta today but so far I hear nothing. I'm thinking base SE will start at $12,999 with five speed manual. SES at $14,999, and SEL at $16,200. I would imagine middle of road Fiesta will run $15,000 with Hatch running a few hundred more.