2011 Ford Explorer

Like the Explorer is now and soon will be, the Grand Cherokee is a shell of its former self in the off-roading dept. My friend Aaron has a similar model (99-04) not sure which of the 4.7 it has, but it's a dog and and has had constant tranny problems. Similar to the like year Explorer tranny issues. Still sad to see these once decent off-roaders heading into the mostly on-road performance.

Oh, and I'd love to see Ford release that Bronco, just can't see it ever happening.

Is this due to style? I've heard people either like or dislike the Flex style, there's been little in between. Or maybe rebates offerred on the hood of the X but not the Flex?

Your friend doesn't know how to order his Cherokees.

1) 4.0L OHV straight 6-cyl iron block and head. Far more durable and respected than the Explorer's German 4.0 V6.

2) Selec-Trac transfer case. Full-time; two speed with shift on the fly; includes low-range (2:72:1); allows for two- or four-wheel-drive mode; full or part-time 4WD; single lever transfer case mode operation. A real mechanical shift linkage not an unreliable electric shift system like the Explorer used.

My Grand Cherokee has over 160,000 miles on it now, it's all original powertrain has had no problems.

Jeep has moved the Grand Cherokee to upscale luxury but it is still very capable off-road. For serious off-roading in a solid axle 4-door SUV Jeep now has the Wrangler Unlimited. There is not a regular production vehicle than beat a Rubicon Wrangler's off-road capability on tight trails. Hell most of the competition would have a tough time matching the Liberty's capability.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would NOT drive a semi on the Million Dollar Highway in the dark in a snowstorm. Nope. Not going to happen.

Was in Ouray not too long ago, kind of wanted to go further into the San Juans, but that highway is insane. What they forgot to mention is that there are several stretches with no guard rails.

BTW: came back on 80 because I didn't want to be one of 'those people' trying to blast through the Rockies on I-70, regardless of rain, sleet, or snow.

As a good Aussie friend, you know this smack is all in fun...I have had the good fortune to visit your wonderful country.

I'm not slow, it's the time difference - really!

Oh, I love my American buddies, you guys know how to take the piss outa me. :shades:

Great fun down here, weather is usually good all year round.

Edited by jpd80

1) 4.0L OHV straight 6-cyl iron block and head. Far more durable and respected than the Explorer's German 4.0 V6.

Not sure if this is the same engine as what was found in the Cherokee/Cherokee Classic, but I'm willing to assume it is...but I've heard all sorts of issues with them overheating leading to engine failure. A buddy of mine as a Cherokee Classic and the thing as been dead for nearly a year now...had an internal engine failure with only 88K on the engine!

possibly, but with the weather in certain areas being as bad as it is, as V8 mentions...ground clearance and TRUE 4x4 ability trumps AWD systems.....having the ability to switch a transfer case into LOW is a bonafide deal maker/ breaker...

Also reliability. In rural areas, of course you don't want to be stranded. Plus on the reliability factor, every day the vehicle is out of commission the more money is lost.

theres always Yetis....

disney-pixar-cars-die-cast-characte.jpg

Actually still looking for that one for my sons collection of cars.

Dingos, wombats, poisonous snakes, boxing kangaroos, burning heat of the Outback - NOTHING compared to Texans, Floridians, and other various flatlanders trying to get to Keystone, Breckenridge or Vail on an icy I-70 in a snowstorm, while driving rented vehicles under the influence of altitude sickness. I would take my chances with those critters from down-under any day!

Oh yeah! I so much enjoy watching these sunny state and flatland drivers make the trek through the mtns. I'l take my chances on the less plowed back highways than on the interstates with these folks. And nothing against any sunny stateers or flatlanders.

Would NOT drive a semi on the Million Dollar Highway in the dark in a snowstorm. Nope. Not going to happen.

Was in Ouray not too long ago, kind of wanted to go further into the San Juans, but that highway is insane. What they forgot to mention is that there are several stretches with no guard rails.

BTW: came back on 80 because I didn't want to be one of 'those people' trying to blast through the Rockies on I-70, regardless of rain, sleet, or snow.

What? Come on now, I just love white knuckling it over passes in the winter. And the wife hates those guard railless highways, as she's typically the one looking off over the edge!

Your friend doesn't know how to order his Cherokees.

2) Selec-Trac transfer case. Full-time; two speed with shift on the fly; includes low-range (2:72:1); allows for two- or four-wheel-drive mode; full or part-time 4WD; single lever transfer case mode operation. A real mechanical shift linkage not an unreliable electric shift system like the Explorer used.

My Grand Cherokee has over 160,000 miles on it now, it's all original powertrain has had no problems.

Jeep has moved the Grand Cherokee to upscale luxury but it is still very capable off-road. For serious off-roading in a solid axle 4-door SUV Jeep now has the Wrangler Unlimited. There is not a regular production vehicle than beat a Rubicon Wrangler's off-road capability on tight trails. Hell most of the competition would have a tough time matching the Liberty's capability.

I'll take that challenge, guess the #1 cash for clunkers trade in...yup, Explorer....and you should have seen some of the mileages....4.0L OHV is a good engine, but NO superior to the 4.0 Cologne....case coule be made for both, but both were/ are pretty bulletproof, Ford did screw up on the trans for a tick though...as for off road capabilty, no argument there....but everyday livability is more of the Explorers mindset.....I cant imagine a cross country trip in a Wrangler....

I'm not slow, it's the time difference - really!

Oh, I love my American buddies, you guys know how to take the piss outa me. :shades:

Great fun down here, weather is usually good all year round.

watch out J they may start thinking you are from california and start bashing.....JEALOUSY I TELL ya, 46 here this morning, about 60 right now, and I rode the bike to work.....HAH! Parts of the country are getting HAMMERED!

Edited by Deanh

watch out J they may start thinking you are from california and start bashing.....JEALOUSY I TELL ya, 46 here this morning, about 60 right now, and I rode the bike to work.....HAH! Parts of the country are getting HAMMERED!

Pittsburgh: 58 yesterday sun and intermitent drizzle and windy, 23 today with snow flurries. I wouldn't mind being in sunny So. CA or FL today.

Pittsburgh: 58 yesterday sun and intermitent drizzle and windy, 23 today with snow flurries. I wouldn't mind being in sunny So. CA or FL today.

I can identify with you Mark, I'm over in Youngstown, OH. You go visit Dean for a :beerchug: , I'll head out to visit j for a :party: and of course, take a spin in an XR8 while I'm down there...

Hovering around zero. Snow is beautiful on a bright sunny day. As long as you're inside. And warm.

BTW: V8-X, I too am a very nervous passenger.

now, up the anti...pillion anyone?...was icy here two days ago......lol! No way in HELL I would be on a bike in your neck of the woods rich.

36C (96F) predicted again today with high humidity, I nearly melted over at the Alumina refinery yesterday.

Checking weld repairs inside a huge tank there but luckily, they have a huge air conditioner set up inside to keep everyone cool.

Salvation army playing Christmas carols in the mall, sleigh bells, snow - and we're all sweltering...go figure.:)

36C (96F) predicted again today with high humidity, I nearly melted over at the Alumina refinery yesterday.

Checking weld repairs inside a huge tank there but luckily, they have a huge air conditioner set up inside to keep everyone cool.

Salvation army playing Christmas carols in the mall, sleigh bells, snow - and we're all sweltering...go figure.:)

crazy...hey, interesting, I worked on similar tanks in NZ, I was the grunt doing the sandblasting and Zinc coating of rust....helped put me through Art School.....

crazy...hey, interesting, I worked on similar tanks in NZ, I was the grunt doing the sandblasting and Zinc coating of rust....helped put me through Art School.....

You can keep that sand blasting, very dirty job but it pays well - full encapsulation rules these days

means there an awful lot of set up needed for external jobs.

Nah I'm in the weld inspection field, ultrasonic testing all the repairs after completion,

I got days in front of me but we'll be finished before Christmas, 10 days off in a row then.

Time to go, cheers mate,

J

Edited by jpd80

You can keep that sand blasting, very dirty job but it pays well - full encapsulation rules these days

means there an awful lot of set up needed for external jobs.

Nah I'm in the weld inspection field, ultrasonic testing checking all the repairs after completion,

I got days in front of me but we'll be finished before Christmas, 10 days off in a row.

Time to go, cheers mate,

J

its a few years ago...I was 18....shoveled a LOT of sand.....jealous on the 10 days off....

Been in the single digits the last three days. With wind chill, dropped down to -36. Well that's the lowest I saw anyways. Otherwise today is in the 20s', tomorrow is to be in the high 30's and this weekend back to the high 40's and maybe low 50's. Not much snow in this part of CO though, just cold. Certain parts of CO got hammered though, mostly the southwest corner.

Not sure if this is the same engine as what was found in the Cherokee/Cherokee Classic, but I'm willing to assume it is...but I've heard all sorts of issues with them overheating leading to engine failure. A buddy of mine as a Cherokee Classic and the thing as been dead for nearly a year now...had an internal engine failure with only 88K on the engine!

So your friend damaged his engine by running it while it was overheating and has let it sit in the yard for a year...yea...ok.

Well MY personal, well maintained vehicle is still running strong.