New Mercury to be called C4

[tongue-in-cheek]

well that settles it ...must be a 4-door Coupe** smilewide.gif

[/tongue-in-cheek]

but seriously,

how much would it cost to have a NAMEplate made and attached aftermarket?

** I also hope it'll be a hatch that doesn't look exactly like a hatch ;)

Edited by 2b2

Chances are it's a chassis DESIGNATION not a model NAME.

ie. At the Ford engineering/plant level, an Edge is a U387 and a Flex is a D471 and an MKT is a D472.

the Focus-based Mercury's codename is C557

&

Mercury may be 5 to 10 years away from going global, but it sounds like they are starting to think global with their naming schemes. Numbers and letters work better for international cars. That way language is not an issue.

I really hope the replacement of the Focus-Cabrio will marketed globally as the Mercury Capri...

so ...NEXT YEAR!!! :D

Edited by 2b2

I hope it has a name. Alphanumeric names only work on established luxury brands like BMW and Mercedes. The goal of an alphanumeric name is to draw attention to the brand, not the model. On a mainstream brand (Pontiac) or even an upscale mainstream brand (Mazda), alphanumeric names have proven to not be effective. In those cases, you want to draw attention to the model.

or even an upscale mainstream brand (Mazda), alphanumeric names have proven to not be effective. In those cases, you want to draw attention to the model.

I disagree. I think Mazda's naming scheme for their cars is very effective (not so much for their SUVs).

Mazda2/3/5/6 is an excellent naming scheme in my opinion.

I think the C4 name would be a monumental fail name. Might as well start posting screen shots on Failblog. It would rank up there with the proposed Hurricane name of the engine. Either that or call it iPad. At least that has a feminist spin to it.

Now "codename" C4 is fine. Not very many public people know those platform names.

I think the C4 name would be a monumental fail name. Might as well start posting screen shots on Failblog. It would rank up there with the proposed Hurricane name of the engine. Either that or call it iPad. At least that has a feminist spin to it.

Now "codename" C4 is fine. Not very many public people know those platform names.

The way I understand Mercury's future, they will be small luxury cars. Like the smaller Volvos. While Lincoln will be larger, more expensive luxury cars. That means Mercury will appeal to younger people who can not afford a larger car. Like the son of a doctor. I think the name C4 would appeal to a younger crowd.

The way I understand Mercury's future, they will be small luxury cars. Like the smaller Volvos. While Lincoln will be larger, more expensive luxury cars. That means Mercury will appeal to younger people who can not afford a larger car. Like the son of a doctor. I think the name C4 would appeal to a younger crowd.

My son is not quite of driving age yet. If I mention "C4" to him, he'll think of all the games he plays where he blows stuff up with. I think that link is not a good thing. Especially if something should break on the car. All I can hear is "Dad, my C4 blew up!". Or worse, kid invents a way to blow it up on post on BoobTube...

Ford has already demonstrated with Lincoln, that it can't work with the lettering game. There's no cohesive explanation why everything in Lincoln is Mark, well MK, S stands for what? T Stands for what? X Stands for what? And whos this Mark fella? And this started with LS6-LS8, who THEN Toyota had a problem with because it was too close to their naming scheme of LS400 (notice how GM didn't balk at it though). And at least THAT ment "Luxury Sport", and CS, and TC and all that somewhat made sense.

C4 ? I'm waiting to hear what THAT stands for.

Granted, it's probably the best time to start a alphanumeric naming scheme since Sable is out, So will Mounty, so will Grand Pa, so I figure Milan will be probably be their largest sedan and then is that changing to MM4? or CD4?