2012+ Escape

mettech

Let the Kuga be the Mariner.

Are there enough sales for Ford to build the business case for 2 distinct tophats?

I think the Kuga is more likely to be a Lincoln - the Mariner will be a sister to the Escape in the same way the Milan is to the Fusion - and there are certainly enough sales to justify a "U.S. only" body for the Escape/Mariner.

Edited by Harley Lover

Are there enough sales for Ford to build the business case for 2 distinct tophats?

I think the Kuga is more likely to be a Lincoln - the Mariner will be a sister to the Escape in the same way the Milan is to the Fusion - and there are certainly enough sales to justify a "U.S. only" body for the Escape/Mariner.

They need to make them distinct so they can get more sales. Look at how much better the Terrain is selling conpared to the Torrent since the Noxs sister no longer looks like it.

Ford cannot sell a Ford as a Lincoln without significant changes (Sell Kuga as a Lincoln). I don't see the need for a smaller Lincoln SUV. An Escape tophat won't sell in Europe. I think Kuga as a Ford in the US is both too close to the Edge, and too different from the Escape. So, if Ford determines that it needs a Kuga tophat, and an Escape tophat selling the Kuga tophat as a Mercury in the US makes a ton of sense.

Ford cannot sell a Ford as a Lincoln without significant changes (Sell Kuga as a Lincoln). I don't see the need for a smaller Lincoln SUV. An Escape tophat won't sell in Europe. I think Kuga as a Ford in the US is both too close to the Edge, and too different from the Escape. So, if Ford determines that it needs a Kuga tophat, and an Escape tophat selling the Kuga tophat as a Mercury in the US makes a ton of sense.

Easy. Sell the Ford with a 1.6EB and 2.0EB (EU spec) and Hybrid. The Mercury with the 1.6EB, Hybrid, and 2.0EB(US spec) . And the Lincoln with the 2.0(EU spec) and the 2.7EB.

Easy. Sell the Ford with a 1.6EB and 2.0EB (EU spec) and Hybrid. The Mercury with the 1.6EB, Hybrid, and 2.0EB(US spec) . And the Lincoln with the 2.0(EU spec) and the 2.7EB.

I think it's an 'either/or' choice for the Lincoln or Mercury. Based on their past comments about emphasizing Lincoln over Mercury, I think they might lean towards Lincoln being the sister product instead of Mercury. OTOH, L/M showrooms have both the Milan and the MKZ, so there is certainly a precedent for having a version for both brands in the showroom.

If the Escape gets bespoke sheetmetal (a 'trucky' tophat), my thoughts that the Kuga could be a Lincoln are twofold: that Ford will go down the path of giving Lincoln the product instead of Mercury, and Ford's stated intention to no longer have Lincolns share sheetmetal with Fords/Mercurys. The MKZ doesn't count since the triplets haven't been through a true model change yet - just a mid cycle update.

There is another factor at play that would help the case for two tophats.

Ford has announced that Louisville will have a "significant" export program to Europe. I think there is a good chance that all European market Kugas will be made at Louisville. So that could give enough volume for a traditional boxy Escape and a Kuga in a single plant. No need to double tool the exterior panels which would save a bundle.

I agree that you can't just slap on a Lincoln badge on a Ford, but if you have bodystyle differentiation and if you put Lincoln in the planning process then there's a shot. You have to plan for more than just powertrain changes. It's all the details like electrical load, ride quality, quality of materials, etc. So even if the exterior were the same as Kuga, there would have to be interior changes.

If Ford thinks they need a Mercury also, then make it a "typical" Mercury differentiated product from the Escape.

A Lincoln compact utility along the lines of the Acura RDX would work well for me personally.

There is another factor at play that would help the case for two tophats.

Ford has announced that Louisville will have a "significant" export program to Europe. I think there is a good chance that all European market Kugas will be made at Louisville. So that could give enough volume for a traditional boxy Escape and a Kuga in a single plant. No need to double tool the exterior panels which would save a bundle.

I agree that you can't just slap on a Lincoln badge on a Ford, but if you have bodystyle differentiation and if you put Lincoln in the planning process then there's a shot. You have to plan for more than just powertrain changes. It's all the details like electrical load, ride quality, quality of materials, etc. So even if the exterior were the same as Kuga, there would have to be interior changes.

If Ford thinks they need a Mercury also, then make it a "typical" Mercury differentiated product from the Escape.

A Lincoln compact utility along the lines of the Acura RDX would work well for me personally.

Im not sure if all the EU Kuga's could be built in the US. I mean US would have to handle production for all most of the world then and US production is almost full as it is now. Not sure if the switchover to LAP would change that.

LAP could handle production of NA and RHD vehicles for South Africa, Britain, and Australia but I think thats all.

Im not sure if all the EU Kuga's could be built in the US. I mean US would have to handle production for all most of the world then and US production is almost full as it is now. Not sure if the switchover to LAP would change that.

LAP could handle production of NA and RHD vehicles for South Africa, Britain, and Australia but I think thats all.

I'm not sure what w/w sales of Kuga are (been looking but can't find 'em), but some of the reports I've read indicate around 80k upa exports from Louisville. It would make sense to consolidate production in a single location (and at lower U.S. labor rates) if at all possible. Run at 3-crew at Louisville if volumes justify.

There is going to be a lot of compaction in the smaller segments as all manufacturers push smaller vehicles for fuel economy. So maybe Ford is dialing back somewhat on Escape volume projections in the future??

I also have no idea whatsoever what happens to KC after the move, but it's coming in a couple of years, so we should know something jwithin the next year.

I'm not sure what w/w sales of Kuga are (been looking but can't find 'em), but some of the reports I've read indicate around 80k upa exports from Louisville. It would make sense to consolidate production in a single location (and at lower U.S. labor rates) if at all possible. Run at 3-crew at Louisville if volumes justify.

There is going to be a lot of compaction in the smaller segments as all manufacturers push smaller vehicles for fuel economy. So maybe Ford is dialing back somewhat on Escape volume projections in the future??

I also have no idea whatsoever what happens to KC after the move, but it's coming in a couple of years, so we should know something jwithin the next year.

True about the Escape sales going down some with the incoming EcoSport. KC is still needed for F-150 production. Dearborn could not handle it all and it could get TC production and maybe somethign else.

Likely to be built off of the same platform as the Kuga, but that is not new news.

Some are saying the Kuga will replace the Escape. I hope not. There is room for both.

The next C-max will be a little more like the Kuga (more stylish and sporty). I expect the next Kuga to be a little more like the Escape (more truck like).

• 9 months later...

I know we've probably all heard the recent news regarding plant upgrades for the 2012 Escape. I'm excited about that, only because I just pre-ordered a 2011 Explorer and was wondering when the remaining vehicles would, at the least, get a facelift. The Escape was high on my list because my mother in law is looking into one. Plus, with all the improvements made to the Explorer on gas mileage, I'm wondering what the non-hybrid Escape could get!

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped to buy a ford escape in the next couple of years, but if Ford turns it into a Kuga than they will lose my sale. I'll buy used (cry cry) before I buy that crap.

I'm sure that Ford will find a way to merge the two successfully. Hell there was a render going around that took the Explorer America concept and merged it with the Kuga and looked good. I'm willing to embrace some change, but don't change it too much...I think the 2011 Explorer is a good way to go with the styling, and maybe give the Kuga a new grill so it fits in better in the EU.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that Ford will find a way to merge the two successfully. Hell there was a render going around that took the Explorer America concept and merged it with the Kuga and looked good. I'm willing to embrace some change, but don't change it too much...I think the 2011 Explorer is a good way to go with the styling, and maybe give the Kuga a new grill so it fits in better in the EU.

I just ordered a 2011 Escape as I like the it the way it is now, and if it goes smaller than I think sales will drop.

I just ordered a 2011 Escape as I like the it the way it is now, and if it goes smaller than I think sales will drop.

I'm planning to order a 2011 Limited 4x4 V6 in about a month as well to replace my 2008 Fusion which is coming off of lease. Even though the AWD Fusion has good traction I moved to a place that gets quite a bit of snow and the Fusion sits too low. The additional height of the Escape will come in handy. I love the style of the current Escape. It is one of the last small SUV's that is still a "cute little truck" everything else looks like a little crossover wagon these days.

• 1 month later...

Yep... Kuga and Escape will combined into a single global car. The Vertrek is a good picture of the new styling, which is moving closer to generic crossover than minitruck. The platform will be a higher and wider version of the 7-passenger Grand C-Max, which itself is based off the Focus.

For comparision:

Ford Vertrek vs Escape vs Kuga

The Vertrek is 3.8 in Longer, 2.7 in Wider, and 1.8 in Lower than the current Escape.

Thanks a lot asshole.

The escape is dying, dying, dead.

Maybe to you. Everyone else who wants a modern compact CUV seems to be thrilled by the revelation. I'm all in favor of ditching the 1990's style of the current Escape, especially since this vehicle seems to lose zero functionality (and actually appears to gain a bit of interior volume) compared to the outgoing model.

Edited by NickF1011

Maybe to you. Everyone else who wants a modern compact CUV seems to be thrilled by the revelation. I'm all in favor of ditching the 1990's style of the current Escape, especially since this vehicle seems to lose zero functionality (and actually appears to gain a bit of interior volume) compared to the outgoing model.

The edge is starting to grow on me, maybe this will too. I'm still pretty anxious to see what the final product will finally look like.