Ford holds tight to police market

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Large Mercurys are dead for the time being.

I only asked because last month, Milan and Grand Marquis were neck and neck at 3101 and 3169 respectively. I was merely thinking it might be a way of increasing D3 sales by about 2,500 to 3,000 a month...

I only asked because last month, Milan and Grand Marquis were neck and neck at 3101 and 3169 respectively. I was merely thinking it might be a way of increasing D3 sales by about 2,500 to 3,000 a month...

They could come out with a D3 version of Grand Marquis and leave the Sable name for a coupe cabriolet version of the upcoming Tracer...just a thought. :reading:

They could come out with a D3 version of Grand Marquis and leave the Sable name for a coupe cabriolet version of the upcoming Tracer...just a thought. :reading:

That is the last thing that anyone wants to see. Especially those who will actually miss the GM... the name would live, but then they'd blast the car for not being a 224-HP RWD BOF "true" full-sized sedan with a 4-speed auto.

from ^ I got a totally off-topic idea

so made a thread elsewhere: "If FoMoCo was an Asian Mfg..."

if there's any interest I could dupe it here...

Ford is looking at the C-car end at the moment but surely there's opportunity for Mercury to develop at both ends. The next gen Mondeo/Fusion may be roomier and more appealing to the larger car buyers at Mercury, maybe that's Ford's plan...

Edited by jpd80

That is the last thing that anyone wants to see. Especially those who will actually miss the GM... the name would live, but then they'd blast the car for not being a 224-HP RWD BOF "true" full-sized sedan with a 4-speed auto.

If Ford do another rwd G/M you think Ford will put in a 224 hp v-8 and 4-speed auto?........ :banghead:

AS for the Taurus no way it will see police sales as the C/V do. in order here's what i think PPV police sales by 13;

1 Caprice

2 Charger

3 "T.I."

4 Impala

5 Tahoe

6 Exploder

7 Carbon (if they make it)

As i mentioned before i bet Ford wanted to do an Panther update but the new "One Ford" won't allow that or a global rwd platform for 11-'12 but the cash and timing just isn't there. Besides with possable profit margins the Taurus will make, even if T.P.I. sells less then the C/V and competion i doubt Ford will be crying about it.

If Ford do another rwd G/M you think Ford will put in a 224 hp v-8 and 4-speed auto?........ :banghead:

I think you missed the point.

I responded to the idea of reviving the GM on the D3 platform and remarked on how the traditionalists would decry the car as not being a "real" Grand Marquis... and would ultimately declare it to be inferior to the outgoing one.

[)

As i mentioned before i bet Ford wanted to do an Panther update but the new "One Ford" won't allow that or a global rwd platform for 11-'12 but the cash and timing just isn't there. Besides with possable profit margins the Taurus will make, even if T.P.I. sells less then the C/V and competion i doubt Ford will be crying about it.

I think you make a very valid point. Is the Taurus a better PI than a Panther? On most points I don't think so- but under "one Ford" and given the incremental profit it will generate for CAP the bean counters and Mulally will settle for what they get out of the police market. As for the Explorer PI, more of the same- plant utilization to the n'th degree.

While they are at it, I say add two more police packages- the V-6 Mustang- hot car while durable and fuel efficient, and a legitimate Expedition- in both cases added plant utilization for existing products and both would fit a niche in the PI market- a high speed turnpike cruiser and a durable "illegal" transporter or general PI for the small department that needs complete flexibility.

So an Australian built Sedan gets a free pass because its RWD? In all seriousness, I doubt the Caprice is going to make much of a dent in the market...its going to be too $$$ and the parts are going to be $$$ too. I'll venture a guess that the PI sells roughly at the same #s that the CVPI does..if not at the same or even more with the Explorer PUV added in.

As for a Panther update...HAHAHAHA they haven't really put much $$$ into it since the 1990s

Impala is going Epsilon II in a year or so.

And the Impala may be -reliable (electrics & powertrain)- but that doesn't mean that it's built well. Compare the fit and finish of a 10 year old Taurus/Sable to a 10 year old Impala, and let me know what you think.

The W-Body-----the best that can be said about it is that it was better than the A-Body.

The FWD A-body? The Cutlass Ciera/Century/Celebrity/6000? I'll take issue with that. Those cars were not fancy, but they were tough. I still see 1000's of them still around, but yet I never see Tempo's or even first and second generation Taurus' around anymore. Those old A-bodies were really inexpensive to repair and didn't have any mechanical vices other than intake manifold gaskets on the V-6's. The 3T40 automatics were bullitt-proof, unlike Ford's ATX. An A body with the 2.5 'Iron Duke was admittedly a pretty miserable car, but it would get you where you needed to go.

The FWD A-body? The Cutlass Ciera/Century/Celebrity/6000? I'll take issue with that. Those cars were not fancy, but they were tough. I still see 1000's of them still around, but yet I never see Tempo's or even first and second generation Taurus' around anymore. Those old A-bodies were really inexpensive to repair and didn't have any mechanical vices other than intake manifold gaskets on the V-6's. The 3T40 automatics were bullitt-proof, unlike Ford's ATX. An A body with the 2.5 'Iron Duke was admittedly a pretty miserable car, but it would get you where you needed to go.

I see plenty of first gen taurus and Sables running around Pittsburgh. This despite our generally crappy roads, potholes you could live in and copious quantities of road salt used here. I still see a few Tempo/Topaz and lots of Contour/Mystique cars out and about.

So an Australian built Sedan gets a free pass because its RWD? In all seriousness, I doubt the Caprice is going to make much of a dent in the market...its going to be too $ and the parts are going to be $ too. I'll venture a guess that the PI sells roughly at the same #s that the CVPI does..if not at the same or even more with the Explorer PUV added in.

As for a Panther update...HAHAHAHA they haven't really put much $ into it since the 1990s

Something really interesting is happening with currencies.

Over the past ten days or so the Aussie dollar has gone from 93 cents US to currently 81 cents US.

If that trend continues, it could be down to 70 cents in no time flat giving Holden the currency advantage they need.

Edited by jpd80

Something really interesting is happening with currencies.

Over the past ten days or so the Aussie dollar has gone from 93 cents US to currently 81 cents US.

If that trend continues, it could be down to 70 cents in no time flat giving Holden the currency advantage they need.

If that trend continues, we'll probably have more to worry about than Holdens:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/05/25/world-markets-euro.html

If that trend continues, we'll probably have more to worry about than Holdens:

http://www.cbc.ca/mo...rkets-euro.html

A strengthening US dollar means a lot of other countries get a shot at exports as some of the currency cross rates return to pre-GFC exchange rates. Australia and Canada could both benefit from a stronger green back....

Edited by jpd80

A strengthening US dollar means a lot of other countries get a shot at exports as some of the currency cross rates return to pre-GFC exchange rates. Australia and Canada could both benefit from a stronger green back....

Oh, it'll be find in that regard, it's simply that it signals a very bad world economic climate.

Oh, it'll be find in that regard, it's simply that it signals a very bad world economic climate.

Market confidence level is low, everyone is worried because they can't safely predict what's happening in six months time. I see the strengthening of US currency as a stabilizing influence in world matters. Believe it or not a steadily recovering US economy is a good indicator of world out look. Improving US and China by underpinning confidence may slowly drag Europe up as well...

Edited by jpd80