C&D compariason

I understand that, and therein lies the fundemental flaw of putting a potentially glorious engine in a FWD based vehicle...I want to see the beast unleashed......as she sits, as much as i like the vehicle, its potential is NOT fully realised.....and more so in the regular Taurus, which would improve immensly with the 3.7 ( hell they are putting it in the Edge, so why not say the limited Taurii )

I'm not sure what the MPG hit is with the 305HP 3.7L and the newer 285hp (I think) 3.5L V6 thats in the 2011 Edge, but its not like the Taurus WON"T be getting a bump in power...plus its only 60HP difference between the SHO and a 3.7L Equipped Limited...I'd like to see more of a bump in power in the SHO if that happens...Wonder if the drive train could handle another 15-20HP

If they can beef up the transaxle a bit more, SHO Stage 2? :idea:

wish list....400hp and a LARGE weight drop, plus some more radical stylistic deviation from the lower lines....the SHO should have SOMETHING that stands out dramatically.....

I'm not sure what the MPG hit is with the 305HP 3.7L and the newer 285hp (I think) 3.5L V6 thats in the 2011 Edge, but its not like the Taurus WON"T be getting a bump in power...plus its only 60HP difference between the SHO and a 3.7L Equipped Limited...I'd like to see more of a bump in power in the SHO if that happens...Wonder if the drive train could handle another 15-20HP

hey, its getting 31 mpgs in the Mustang, so it may actually up the ante a mile or two. And you touched on my exact point, i'm MORE impressed ( taking torque out of the equation....as most do ) with 305 from a naturally aspirated engine, than a twin turboed tour de force making a MERE 60 hp more............

wish list....400hp and a LARGE weight drop, plus some more radical stylistic deviation from the lower lines....the SHO should have SOMETHING that stands out dramatically.....

You won't see a significant weight drop till the Taurus moves to the CD4 platform in about 2013/14.

I agree with you about the styling, but do you go back and Ape the 1990's look for a performance car? LOL I'm sure this is something they'll address in the MCE refresh for the car

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have the Ford MyTouch system in it yet...but then again I won't be getting mine till May 2012 ;) and I'd bet a 20 in SHO wheel that the MCE Taurus SHO will have it.

You won't see a significant weight drop till the Taurus moves to the CD4 platform in about 2013/14.

I agree with you about the styling, but do you go back and Ape the 1990's look for a performance car? LOL I'm sure this is something they'll address in the MCE refresh for the car

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have the Ford MyTouch system in it yet...but then again I won't be getting mine till May 2012 ;) and I'd bet a 20 in SHO wheel that the MCE Taurus SHO will have it.

oh I know, as for the styling, look at the difference between the Caddy CTS and the CTS-V.....now THATS what I'm talkin about.......more agressive....

I think that if you are going to compare vehicles, you should do them by class and price. If the Lexus was 42k as tested. Then you should get a Taurus or Buick , etc... that is as close to 42k as possible. Or they could get a Lexus that is 35-37ish to compare.

If they're cross shopping a Taurus and a Lexus then they would most certainly be cross shopping a SHO and a Lexus. It's not that much different. And if they aren't cross shopping a Taurus and a Lexus then the article is even more stupid, eh?

A SHO is not a true sports sedan - never will be.

I doubt that they would be cross shopping a SHO and Lexus. The SHO is advertised as a performance sedan. The Lexus is not.

And, as I said before, the Lexus was included because Buick fancies itself as the "American Lexus." If so, then why not include the real thing and see how Buick stacks up against it? And the Taurus is the closest domestic competitor to the Buick (aside from maybe a base Chrysler 300 - but that one is old hat at this point), so include it, too.

I don't get too worked up about this test. To me, the results say that the Lexus scored better - but the Lexus also costs a good deal more. The Taurus and the Buick (in particular) acquitted themselves well in view of their price advantage.

Reminds me of a test in Top Gear where they pitted the the current generation Mondeo (when it was brand new) against a Mercedes (I believe it was a C-Class). Surprise, surprise, the Mercedes outscored the Mondeo...but a look at the price tag showed that it was considerably more expensive.

What I took away from the test was that the Mondeo was an excellent car, as it could be compared to the much pricier Mercedes in the first place - and not be completely blown away.

Edited by grbeck

Other than having a lot more power and marginally different suspension, there's not much difference between the SHO and the standard trim level Tauruses (unfortunately). It's certainly not on par with the differences between the LeMans and GTO.

The differences between a GTO and LeMans were the engine (the 389 V-8), the transmission (standard four-speed floorshift), heavy-duty suspension, tires and the nameplates. That basically sounds like what the SHO version offers over a regular Taurus.

Even the GTO wheelcovers were dead-stock units - the fancy wheels cost extra, while the SHO offers unique wheels as standard equipment. The interior trim of the SHO is different from that of the Taurus, while the GTO's bucket seats and floor-mounted shifter were straight from a LeMans.

I doubt that they would be cross shopping a SHO and Lexus. The SHO is advertised as a performance sedan. The Lexus is not.

Who cares how they're advertised? If somebody was looking at a Lexus and wanted to compare it against a Taurus I guarantee you the SHO would be the closest competition based on price and performance. You act like the SHO is a totally different vehicle from a base Taurus. It's just a trim level.

The spin I see is, they are comparing a Taurus with 3 supposed luxury vehicles...It has to be good if that's what they are comparing it with. They obviously weren't going for price points either for their comparison. The person who wants a Taurus, is because they want it...same with the SHO. The one going for the Buick is, hm a step away from death. The one going for the Lexus probably doesnt like vehicles and just wants a name, nothing else...a toaster. And the one going for the Genesis will be someone who probably likes toys, HOPEFULLY will only keep it for 2 years before it starts falling apart, and probably got it for a few thousand off, or str8 off the rental car lot for cheap...

Who cares how they're advertised? If somebody was looking at a Lexus and wanted to compare it against a Taurus I guarantee you the SHO would be the closest competition based on price and performance. You act like the SHO is a totally different vehicle from a base Taurus. It's just a trim level.

The SHO is not just a trim level. It has a different drivetrain and different suspension tuning, which give it a different character from a regular Taurus. Unless you are going to argue that the EcoBoost engine has the same performance, sound and feel of the regular V-6.

How they are advertised reflects their intended audience. And if somebody actually DRIVES both a SHO and a Lexus they will quickly discover that they are aimed at completely different audiences. A Lexus is NOT aimed at performance buyers, and even if the numbers are close, the character and driving "feel" are completely different for a Lexus as compared to a SHO.

Edited by grbeck

So, wouldn't that make the MKS a better comparison? BTW, I think the MKS should have the 3.7. That would give the Lincoln something the Taurus doesn't have.

But then again, if they put the dual variable cam update into the 3.5, it too would get a good bump in power.

• Like 1

The SHO is not just a trim level. It has a different drivetrain and different suspension tuning, which give it a different character from a regular Taurus. Unless you are going to argue that the EcoBoost engine has the same performance, sound and feel of the regular V-6.

How they are advertised reflects their intended audience. And if somebody actually DRIVES both a SHO and a Lexus they will quickly discover that they are aimed at completely different audiences. A Lexus is NOT aimed at performance buyers, and even if the numbers are close, the character and driving "feel" are completely different for a Lexus as compared to a SHO.

It might not literally be a trim level, but it's just a regular AWD Taurus with more power and better suspension. It's still a Taurus - it's not a M5.

I don't disagree that the Taurus isn't the best comparison for a Buick and a Lexus. But to complain about a lack of power when the SHO is available without at least mentioning it is bad journalism. Then again - why should this be any different than any other automotive article?

From the article:

Source: Car and Driver

---------------------------------------------------------------

4th Place: Ford Taurus Limited (as tested: $37,180)

Highs: Inviting rear seat, a trunk designed for golfers, lowest base price.

Lows: Spongy brakes, uninformative steering, underpowered.

The Verdict: A B- Student who is not applying all his talents.

3rd Place: Buick LaCrosse CXS (as tested: $36,806)

Highs: Luxurious cabin, quiet at speed, styling that's genuinely alluring.

Lows: Small trunk, limited sightlines, needlessly complicated center stack.

The Verdict: Resists being hustled but evinces cues aplenty that Buick is on the right track.

2nd Place: Lexus ES350 (as tested: $42,187)

Highs: Velvety drivetrain, rides like a Rolls, airy cabin, light on its feet.

Lows: Cramped back seat, no pretense of handling, wanders on the interstate.

The Verdict: As Jerry Stiller said on Seinfeld, "Serenity Now!"

1st Place: Hyundai Genesis 3.8 (as tested: $41,835)

Highs: Rear-Wheel drive, balanced chassis, solid platform, plenty of V6 power.

Lows: Contrived styling, a few cheap looking interior surfaces, resale value unknown.

The Verdict: A surprising blend of dynamics, composure, Euro-style chassis and refinement.

My Legalise: Mind you this is a VERY small part of the article (so don't base the entire thing on the quick notes they gave above), I recommend you read it yourself when it comes online or read an issue. There was MUCH more said about each vehicle.

Their criteria for these cars were (supposedly) based on the demographic of the article....older golfers (I guess they agree with some of your comments above about not cross-shopping the SHO). Even though they did not use they SHO, they did mention that this Taurus was very uncommunicative. Saying that in the company of a Buick and a Lexus? Interesting.

"They are near-luxury sedans that (are about) $39,000 range, all with 24 valve, dual-overhead cam V6's riding on M+S rubber."

Oddest criteria I've ever seen for a comparo.

Edited by Intrepidatious

It might not literally be a trim level, but it's just a regular AWD Taurus with more power and better suspension. It's still a Taurus - it's not a M5.

I'll bite.

In that same vein, how is an M5 not just the highest trim level of the 5 Series now? It's built on the same line as every other 5 Series, has more power, better suspension, different transmission to handle the output, trim pieces that show that it's the high performance model...

Intrepidatious- thanks for posting the info about the vehicles tested and the rank order!

The summary seems pretty accurate in identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each contender. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. :shrug:

In that same vein, how is an M5 not just the highest trim level of the 5 Series now?

It is. And if someone was comparing the performance of a 530i against other cars costing as much as a M5 and saying it needed more power then I would say the same thing.

Stupid comparo meant to hype the Hyundai, who the entire auto-rag core seem to be having a collective orgasm about. Lexus is a luxury car, Hyundai claims to be a luxury car, Buick is a dinosaur from the last decade waiting to become extinct, and the Taurus is not, nor has it ever claimed to be, a luxury car. Its a working man's car that should be compared to similar models.

I don't put any faith in any of those magazines these days. They want more horsepower or better handling as long as the car they like has it. C & D consistantly chose the Mazda Protege/3 over far more powerful small cars due to handling, even though almost nobody purchases a small car and takes it to the track to work out the suspension. Motor Trend once said the M5 was a better sports car than the Corvette because it was more comfortable. Most people here could give you a huge list of reasons that a Ford is better than any other car in its class. When you pre-determine the winner, its strengths become the most important features a car can have.