So, what will the new Lincoln line-up look like?

Anyone got a connection as to what the Lincoln variant of the Focus will look like? Will Lincoln steadfastly hold on to the current naming strategy? Will they get rid of the "bow wave" front end and come up with something more elegant?

Inquiring minds want to know... :shades:

I hope they do a good job of it. The new compact Buick is a nice looking car. It will be interesting to see if Lincoln will go the Buick route and keep it under $20k (assuming since the Regal is going to be int he low $20's once the lower trims come) or if they will go upscale like the S40, A3, BMW 1 series etc..

We are talking about a 7 vehicle lineup, so...

MKC (C-segment car)

MKZ

MKX

MKS

MKT

Navigator

It's also safe to assume we'll see a compact SUV to succeed the Mariner (Lincoln dealers are going to be really hurting until they get one). I'm actually shocked Lincoln didn't include that in their announcement, but we are painfully far away from the Escape's successor right now. I am very VERY eager to see a smaller Lincoln CUV.

As for the 7th, has Lincoln officially closed the door on Town Car yet?

As for design, I like bow-wave but I don't like the scale they are using for it. It looks good on the MKS and MKX, but way out of proportion on the MKZ and MKT. Ford is just painfully inconsistent with design and easily one of the worst in the biz, so I have no faith in their design execution AT ALL until they overhaul their design management.

Edited by BORG

So, what will the new Lincoln line-up look like?

Rebadged Fords.

No unique platforms.

No Convertables.

No high performance RWD sedans or coupes.

No reason to spend tens of thousands more to buy them.

Lincoln needs...

MkA-Explorer platform based crossover

MkB-subcompact car

MkC-compact car

MkL-LWB full size car

Navigator-full size SUV

MkR-RWD 4 door coupe

MkS-SWB full size car

MkT-full size crossover

Mkv-subcompact crossover

MkW-compact crossover

MkX-mid size crossover

MkZ-mid size car

You don't pay attention much, do you?

By all means go ahead post some proof, pictures with actual launch dates of these exciting new Lincolns. I'd like to see a cool retractable hard top like a Mercedes SLK. How about a serious RWD that can put away a 6-series BMW, that would be nice.

C-segment:

MKC, MK? - both a compact utility and a compact sedan/hatch; neither will look anything like the Focus or Escape. The base engine in the MKC will likely be the 1.6EB or a small V-6/large I-4. The MK? probably won't have anything less powerful than the 2.0EB. Expect things like start-stop. DSG transmissions. Potentially no FWD. Launched in early 2012 and late-2012/early-2013. I expect a PHEV version of one or both of these vehicles

CD segment:

MKZ, MKX - MKZ will get the 3.5 with Ti-VCT soon. Along with 2.0EB. I think the hybrid stunt was a bad idea - we'll see how long that lives. Next update is early-2013, and it will differ drastically from the Fusion/Mondeo. Again, things like start-stop, DSG and other technology. The MKX just had its refresh, and I think it's decent. It's next is probably early 2014. Expect the 3.5EB (or some similarly ridiculous engine) to be dropped in with decent mileage in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hybrid version of one or both of these.

D segment

MKS, MKT - MKS has a refresh coming soon, like early next year. 3.7 Ti-VCT is coming and probably 2.0EB. Next major refresh probably isn't until 2014. But before or by that time I expect a few things: 8-speed DSG and probably some adaptive suspension. I expect that that next gen MKS will vary from the Taurus even more than it currently does. I sort of expect FWD to disappear and Ford to hone a really solid AWD system. Ditto MKT. Both will lose some weight with their refreshes in 2014/2015.

Other

Navigator - 3.5EB, 5.0, 6.2. And hopefully a MUCH better interior. I would like to see a "small" version of the Navigator much like the F-150/F-100 relationship. Or the Land Cruiser/GX460 relationship. But if the Navigator refresh is 2011/2012, I wouldn't expect anything like this until 2015.

Farther in the future:

Continental, MKR - Ford cannot commit to either of these now as their RWD program is still TBD. But I do expect that both of them will be born sometime around 2014/2015 when the next Mustang is born. They will be good to go when Lincoln is a bit more upmarket. Expect them to be blindingly efficient for RWD sports-lux vehicles. Using cooled EGR, laser ignition, improved emissions control and other enhancements along with a stunning 8-speed DSG, I wouldn't be surprised to see a small V6 with 30+ mpg hwy still offering less than 6 seconds to 60.

cut'n'paste

imho the MKZ being F-Awd is just fine since it's the most popular size-segment - for now

and could be closely bracketed in size by new models

altho I'd add an MKT-sized sedan - it's wlb anyway (Ford needs to lose their overhang fetish)

the main thrust would be

replacing the MKS with a tauter GRwdP Continental

and add

a GRwdP Mustang-sized sportsedan & coupe

...don't really care HOW Lincoln handles their CUVs ...except imho

a very car-like MKG/KuGa is a GOOD THING

(otoh the MKFocus is very risky/doubtful)

ps

imho (yeah right) the GRwdP is/was 90+% completed before it got stuck on a shelf

& could still be on sale WITHIN 2 years.

"Lincoln without a Continental is NOT Lincoln"

Edited by 2b2

Lincoln needs...

MkA-Explorer platform based crossover

MkB-subcompact car

MkC-compact car

MkL-LWB full size car

Navigator-full size SUV

MkR-RWD 4 door coupe

MkS-SWB full size car

MkT-full size crossover

Mkv-subcompact crossover

MkW-compact crossover

MkX-mid size crossover

MkZ-mid size car

Lincoln does NOT need any b-segment/subcompact car, at least here and now!

CD segment:

MKZ, MKX - MKZ will get the 3.5 with Ti-VCT soon. Along with 2.0EB. I think the hybrid stunt was a bad idea - we'll see how long that lives. Next update is early-2013, and it will differ drastically from the Fusion/Mondeo. Again, things like start-stop, DSG and other technology. The MKX just had its refresh, and I think it's decent. It's next is probably early 2014. Expect the 3.5EB (or some similarly ridiculous engine) to be dropped in with decent mileage in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hybrid version of one or both of these.

Why do you call it a 'hybrid 'stunt,'' and why do you think it's a bad idea?

By all means go ahead post some proof, pictures with actual launch dates of these exciting new Lincolns. I'd like to see a cool retractable hard top like a Mercedes SLK. How about a serious RWD that can put away a 6-series BMW, that would be nice.

I believe that all Lincolns will get unique powertrains, 100% unique sheetmetal and interiors and some unique features. I believe they will get a flagship RWD platform in a few years. Everything that Ford has said publicly plus some inside information backs this up. If you choose to believe they're lying then that's your problem.

How can you possibly say the MKS and MKT are badge jobs? Those days are over. Even the MKZ got a totally unique interior from day one. That's called platform sharing, not rebadging.

Why do you call it a 'hybrid 'stunt,'' and why do you think it's a bad idea?

It feels really tacked on. Its performance will be a step down from the base model, whereas the Fusion has the benefit of the 2.5 being more anemic (albeit, sufficient and competitive for a 4-cyl, and likely the engine I'd go for if I ever bought a midsize).

It's just such a limited run model: I can't imagine real demand exceeding 2,500 units per year. It will do nothing for Lincoln's brand image like a 2.0EB with a higher output tune v. Ford would do. It's not the car to make Lincoln "green," but I worry it may define "Lincoln green" in magazine circles, which, believe it or not, do often influence the general consumer in terms of brand definition, if not being completely helpful as to which actual model to buy.

I would have waited until there was a real change in the hybrid program - like attaching it to an EB or maybe the 3.5. Or I would have used a Li+ battery pack. Something, anything, to show that Ford was investing in technology above and beyond what the Fusion has.

And it's not that I think the MKZ is differentiated meaningfully from the Fusion otherwise... or much of the Lincoln line-up for that matter. But Lincoln isn't resting any "definition" aspects of its brand on the regular MKZ except styling DNA. But it seems that Lincoln's green creds might be built significantly off this model... and it's just not the right model. In a similar vein, I don't think the HS was the right vehicle for Lexus.

Edited by focus05

I believe that all Lincolns will get unique powertrains, 100% unique sheetmetal and interiors and some unique features. I believe they will get a flagship RWD platform in a few years. Everything that Ford has said publicly plus some inside information backs this up. If you choose to believe they're lying then that's your problem.

How can you possibly say the MKS and MKT are badge jobs? Those days are over. Even the MKZ got a totally unique interior from day one. That's called platform sharing, not rebadging.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs.

MKS is my favorite Lincoln by far...but I'd buy a Taurus Limited and pocket the extra $10,000.

Expect Lincoln to go down market since they will be selling small economy cars and SUV's (Think Cadillac Cimarron, but a much better donor car) alongside their larger luxury vehicles. Actually I think getting rid of Mercury and introducing cheaper economy Lincolns is bad for the brand. It will lose any luster it had.

Personally I give Lincoln 3-5 years at the most. I think in the end "One Ford" will really be Ford and only Ford.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'm hoping the whole "Em Kay" alphabet soup nonsense is on its way out, seeing as how HYUNDAI is now the only automaker whose luxury car has a REAL NAME!!!!!

I'm also hoping that the 2014 (2015?) Mustang provides some of the parts for a new RWD platform, providing flagship performance vehicles for Ford (Mustang and RWD Sport Sedan-- Gran Torino, anyone?) and Lincoln (Mk IX-- pronounced "MARK 9"-- grand tourer/cabrio and Continental sedan). Lincoln should get more advanced powertrains and more sophisticated suspensions, perhaps with pricier, lighter-weight components?

It feels really tacked on. Its performance will be a step down from the base model, whereas the Fusion has the benefit of the 2.5 being more anemic (albeit, sufficient and competitive for a 4-cyl, and likely the engine I'd go for if I ever bought a midsize).

It's just such a limited run model: I can't imagine real demand exceeding 2,500 units per year. It will do nothing for Lincoln's brand image like a 2.0EB with a higher output tune v. Ford would do. It's not the car to make Lincoln "green," but I worry it may define "Lincoln green" in magazine circles, which, believe it or not, do often influence the general consumer in terms of brand definition, if not being completely helpful as to which actual model to buy.

I would have waited until there was a real change in the hybrid program - like attaching it to an EB or maybe the 3.5. Or I would have used a Li+ battery pack. Something, anything, to show that Ford was investing in technology above and beyond what the Fusion has.

And it's not that I think the MKZ is differentiated meaningfully from the Fusion otherwise... or much of the Lincoln line-up for that matter. But Lincoln isn't resting any "definition" aspects of its brand on the regular MKZ except styling DNA. But it seems that Lincoln's green creds might be built significantly off this model... and it's just not the right model. In a similar vein, I don't think the HS was the right vehicle for Lexus.

Ok, I see what you're saying - makes sense - you're basically saying it should've been given more tech to make it different/better than the Fusion, right? I can agree with that, and it probably is more of a stop-gap measure at this point rather than a full "solution" to/attempt at 'hybridizing' the Lincoln lineup/offerings. Either way, it will be the most efficient luxury vehicle available when it comes to the market, so it has that going for it.

And I cannot remember anybody liking the HS - it's not even that efficient for it's size. Sadly enough, I see several of them on the road down here.

MB is bringing the B-Class here...

That doesn't mean Lincoln should offer one. Mercedes is an established luxury brand - Lincoln is still a damaged brand in many eyes. Perhaps in the future when Lincoln is healthier could they offer a b-segment vehicle. For now, I think that the c-segment is the smallest they should go.

Ok, I see what you're saying - makes sense - you're basically saying it should've been given more tech to make it different/better than the Fusion, right? I can agree with that, and it probably is more of a stop-gap measure at this point rather than a full "solution" to/attempt at 'hybridizing' the Lincoln lineup/offerings. Either way, it will be the most efficient luxury vehicle available when it comes to the market, so it has that going for it.

And I cannot remember anybody liking the HS - it's not even that efficient for it's size. Sadly enough, I see several of them on the road down here.

That doesn't mean Lincoln should offer one. Mercedes is an established luxury brand - Lincoln is still a damaged brand in many eyes. Perhaps in the future when Lincoln is healthier could they offer a b-segment vehicle. For now, I think that the c-segment is the smallest they should go.

To go global, theyll need a B-segment car.

To go global, theyll need a B-segment car.

Yes I realize that. They're not quite ready to go global yet I think. Even when they do and even when they do develop a b-segment car for the global markets, I think they should hold off selling it in the US until they are better image-wise.

Or maybe they just need to give the Lincoln dealers a hybrid to sell now that the Milan is gone.

This will appeal to folks who want a MKZ but want great fuel economy. Attempts at performance hybrids just don't work well. Hybrids are best sold for max fuel economy and that requires the 2.5L.

If Lincoln goes "down market" at all it will only be a stop gap to get over the hump of losing the Mercury vehicles. Anybody that thinks otherwise is not paying attention.

Of course Lincoln will not have unique platforms, since this is how business is run. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, and Audi share with their corporate siblings. M-B and BMW are stand alone, but will have challenges staying independant as costs rise.

Also, Lincoln is not a 'high performance' brand. Porcshe isn't independant anymore, and now relies on the new 4 door and Cayanne for profits.

I'm hoping the whole "Em Kay" alphabet soup nonsense is on its way out, seeing as how HYUNDAI is now the only automaker whose luxury car has a REAL NAME!!!!!

Thats because they don't want people to say...oh its a Hyundai! If you ever notice that people who buy these cars call them a BMW, Mercedes, Caddy etc..not 3 series, C series or CTS

Or maybe they just need to give the Lincoln dealers a hybrid to sell now that the Milan is gone.

This will appeal to folks who want a MKZ but want great fuel economy. Attempts at performance hybrids just don't work well. Hybrids are best sold for max fuel economy and that requires the 2.5L.

Um guess you didnt see this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/04/lincoln-mkz-hybrid-gets-updated-smartgauge-with-apple-blossoms/