An overview of Panther's demise

What will happen when Panther production ceases? Or to put it another way, what will happen when Ford ends production of the most bullet-proof, invincible, beloved, dependable, iconic, recognizable vehicle on the planet? That not counting the fact that due to cost amortization, Ford MUST be making impressive profits! We all know NYC is squashing the CV as the premier and most popular taxi cab by demanding more fuel efficient vehicles. You can't even watch a TV show or movie without seeing a ton of CV's on the streets! So will the Escape and Transit Connect keep the blue oval prevalent on the streets and in future films and TV? That's called free advertising by the way! The same goes for the venerable Crown Vic Police Interceptor (CVPI). The dependable bullet-proof rear wheel drive standard of the industry has proudly displayed the blue oval on our streets and our viewing screens for two decades! Can the FWD Taurus fill that void when Panther production ends? I would have liked to have seen the next police cruiser on a 4-door RWD Mustang chassis! Imagine a speeder seeing that Mustang grille in his rear-view mirror! And what about the beefy, solid, long wheel-based REAL standard of luxury Town Car that no Lexus can match in ride? What vehicle will become the choice of limo builders? Will Dodge's Charger kill two birds with one stone and fill two voids -- that of most popular cruiser and the limo builders' chassis of choice? I don't see anything else from Lincoln that is wide enough or suitable for limosine use. Maybe the Taurus-based Lincoln MKS could be used. Or will Cadillac once again fill that niche? And let's not forget the Grand Marquis. This was -- and maybe still is -- the best selling full-size vehicle in Florida for years! Mercury's biggest sales year was 1978 with sales at around 500K units. In fact I'll insert here that discontinuing the Mercury brand now is a HELL of a way to celebrate the upcoming new Hawaii Five-O TV show! McGarrett belongs in a Merc! Wait a minute! Hawaii Five-0 ran from 1968 to 1980. Is there a connection? Did viewers seeing McGarrett's Mercury on TV make them want a Mercury? Who knows!? One thing is for sure: If not on the streets, you still will see for decades to come the Panthers in film and TV! Farewell old friend!

What will happen? Not much of anything. Retail customers won't even notice.

Can we please put an end to these whinefests about the Panther already?

If Ford had an announced RWD replacement for the Panther platform, I don't think you would see all the whining. But alas, Ford has nothing. Generations have been brought up on RWD platforms. I myself prefer FWD, but there is a place other than Mustang for RWD. I only hope the next generation RWD Mustang is flexible enough to be widened and lengthened to buile a new Lincoln sports sedan and a new Thunderbird. In my mind and in many others I suspect, Ford will not be fully back until they have a Lincoln RWD sports sedan and coupe plus a RWD Thunderbird. With AWD and traction control, RWD in some ways is better than FWD. If Ford doesn't offer more RWD vehicles, then Ford is going to be left out in the cold in future. This makes the end of Panther even sadder.

If Ford had an announced RWD replacement for the Panther platform, I don't think you would see all the whining.

The only people whining are people who bought panthers used....from old Taxis and PD fleets :rolleyes:

Ford needs to cater to a 2nd hand market...um ok!

What will happen when Panther production ceases? Or to put it another way, what will happen when Ford ends production of the most bullet-proof, invincible, beloved, dependable, iconic, recognizable vehicle on the planet? That not counting the fact that due to cost amortization, Ford MUST be making impressive profits! We all know NYC is squashing the CV as the premier and most popular taxi cab by demanding more fuel efficient vehicles. You can't even watch a TV show or movie without seeing a ton of CV's on the streets! So will the Escape and Transit Connect keep the blue oval prevalent on the streets and in future films and TV? That's called free advertising by the way! The same goes for the venerable Crown Vic Police Interceptor (CVPI). The dependable bullet-proof rear wheel drive standard of the industry has proudly displayed the blue oval on our streets and our viewing screens for two decades! Can the FWD Taurus fill that void when Panther production ends? I would have liked to have seen the next police cruiser on a 4-door RWD Mustang chassis! Imagine a speeder seeing that Mustang grille in his rear-view mirror! And what about the beefy, solid, long wheel-based REAL standard of luxury Town Car that no Lexus can match in ride? What vehicle will become the choice of limo builders? Will Dodge's Charger kill two birds with one stone and fill two voids -- that of most popular cruiser and the limo builders' chassis of choice? I don't see anything else from Lincoln that is wide enough or suitable for limosine use. Maybe the Taurus-based Lincoln MKS could be used. Or will Cadillac once again fill that niche? And let's not forget the Grand Marquis. This was -- and maybe still is -- the best selling full-size vehicle in Florida for years! Mercury's biggest sales year was 1978 with sales at around 500K units. In fact I'll insert here that discontinuing the Mercury brand now is a HELL of a way to celebrate the upcoming new Hawaii Five-O TV show! McGarrett belongs in a Merc! Wait a minute! Hawaii Five-0 ran from 1968 to 1980. Is there a connection? Did viewers seeing McGarrett's Mercury on TV make them want a Mercury? Who knows!? One thing is for sure: If not on the streets, you still will see for decades to come the Panthers in film and TV! Farewell old friend!

Joe- you are a glutton for punishment-but I agree with you-would not have taken a lot to keep the platform going. Now to those who constantly flame the Panther, I OWN A 2010 SHO. IT replaced a 2007 CV Sport. Its a great car. BUT- if the 07 Sport had a few more ponies, I would prefer it over the SHO. Just something about BOF and RWD that I prefer.- Again an opinion but I feel I have q basis for that opinion.

Another comment on RWD- When the LS came out, it got rave reviews. What did Ford do? Ignore it. An opportunity to build on something and they blew it. This pattern gets old after a while.

Another comment on RWD- When the LS came out, it got rave reviews. What did Ford do? Ignore it. An opportunity to build on something and they blew it. This pattern gets old after a while.

Perhaps DEW platform and LS was a money pit that lost large amounts of money.....

Interesting how this website has turned into a giant cheerleading section for any and all decisions made by Ford. I remember in the old days where it was a much more even handed place.

Let's be honest - Ford blew it with this platform, and is replacing it with an inferior product because they can build a large sedan that can be cobbed off of a global platform on the cheap.

Sure, the new federal CAFE requirements are part of it, but Ford gave up on this platform over a decade ago. When the 2003 major up was cancelled, and just a few chassis improvements were done, the writing was on the wall.

Even though I could pay cash for a new car, my wife and I are keeping what we have and driving them as long as possible. Long term durability and reliability is main attributes I look for, which doesn't appear promising with the upcoming vehicles and all the new technology.

As Toyota found out with drive by wire, which is why I keep my old school Corolla instead of buying a new one.

The only people whining are people who bought panthers used....from old Taxis and PD fleets :rolleyes:

Ford needs to cater to a 2nd hand market...um ok!

Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars are not purchased new for police and taxi fleets...try again.

• Like 1

Interesting how this website has turned into a giant cheerleading section for any and all decisions made by Ford. I remember in the old days where it was a much more even handed place.

Let's be honest - Ford blew it with this platform, and is replacing it with an inferior product because they can build a large sedan that can be cobbed off of a global platform on the cheap.

We have a winner!

Sure, the new federal CAFE requirements are part of it, but Ford gave up on this platform over a decade ago. When the 2003 major up was cancelled, and just a few chassis improvements were done, the writing was on the wall.

As you already noted, "CAFE requirements are part of it," and you're missing that it's not just CAFE -- the Panther's fuel efficiency issues meant that CAFE or no CAFE, it was going to have to be on the way out, no matter what. In that respect, the Taurus is anything but an "inferior product." Its strengths are not what you consider important, perhaps; that doesn't make it an inferior product.

And the issues with the Panther's fuel efficiency meant that it could not easily be properly updated with the comfort/safety/technology advances that the Taurus has. As it stands already, the Grand Marquis weighs 4,117 pounds without those updates that people claim that it could have and should have gotten. The Taurus is substantially more fuel efficient at a comparable weight (4,015 pounds). Adding the equipment that would have been necessary to make the Panther market-competitive would have made its fuel efficiency issues just that much more glaring.

Edited by nelsonlu

Back to the topic,

No...

Ford, simply can't bounce back from the demise of the panther.

Laugh all you will about the crude limo conversions,the poor people who want a rwd

large car and the apparent non profitable police market.

What do we have in Australia now that Ford pulled the plug on the LWB Fairlane/LTD?

Chrysler 300c

Holden Statesman/Caprice....oh,hang on...your next cop cruiser!

Ford in Australia CREATED the LWB segment,and like the Crown Vic/Marquis

let the once proud nameplate suffer in neglect with a new grill here and there and a re skin

with left over Falcon funds and wondered where the buyers went.

I feel for those who miss the panther,and obviously it's not just the US who suffer the same Ford mentality

when it comes to large RWD sedans.

As said before, I will not buy a NEW Ford product again,

until I can go into my local dearlership and buy a RWD Fairlane/lLTD

And by the looks of it, I won't be in a Ford dealership again.

As you already noted, "CAFE requirements are part of it," and you're missing that it's not just CAFE -- the Panther's fuel efficiency issues meant that CAFE or no CAFE, it was going to have to be on the way out, no matter what. In that respect, the Taurus is anything but an "inferior product." Its strengths are not what you consider important, perhaps; that doesn't make it an inferior product.

And the issues with the Panther's fuel efficiency meant that it could not easily be properly updated with the comfort/safety/technology advances that the Taurus has. As it stands already, the Grand Marquis weighs 4,117 pounds without those updates that people claim that it could have and should have gotten. The Taurus is substantially more fuel efficient at a comparable weight (4,015 pounds). Adding the equipment that would have been necessary to make the Panther market-competitive would have made its fuel efficiency issues just that much more glaring.

They could have put a 3.5L / 3.7L in her and the weight would have dropped, And MPG would have gone up. I am just pointing out that weight is not an issue.

Would be nice to see a 3.5L EB Marauder before its all over.

They could have put a 3.5L / 3.7L in her and the weight would have dropped, And MPG would have gone up. I am just pointing out that weight is not an issue.

Would be nice to see a 3.5L EB Marauder before its all over.

So true

Falcon is going to a 4cyl next year,

Plain and simple neglect for prior flagships. :banghead:

:happy feet: 1400 people lose their jobs :happy feet:

Nobody here is happy about that.

Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars are not purchased new for police and taxi fleets...try again.

Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but around here you see both models as taxis everywhere.

Falcon is going to a 4cyl next year,

Plain and simple neglect for prior flagships. :banghead:

Just like the Mercedes S-class, IIRC, which is going to be available in 2K11 with a turbo-4 gasoline option. Mercedes saw that in the EU, there's a market for minimal CO2-producing large luxury sedans. It's M-B's Eco-Boost variant. The advent of DI, VVT and 6-8 speed transmissions and the right turbo management software means that it's not your old 4-banger world.

And it seems that the initial reaction to the Mondeo turbo-4 is positive, so the Falcon turbo-4 should be an OK ride.

Add a giant replacement intercooler . . . it is interesting to remember that in the early years of the F-1 turbo era, the BMW iron-block 4-banger was used. Well over 1,000 hp for qualifying. GM were getting awesome power from their current 4-cyl. in the Import Drags, with a Cavalier/Sunfire duo, I've read in the 1,200 hp range.

But 6 cylinders are better. I would like to see a DI VVT EcoBoost system applied to the Oz inline-6. One exhaust manifold, one cylinder head, one set of cams. It would be nice to see a re-fresh with the plasma-sputter cylinder liner technology from the 5.0. :)

Nobody here is happy about that.

Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but around here you see both models as taxis everywhere.

Plenty of 07 Fairlane LWB cabs running around in Perth WA,

Problem is cab leases only last 5 years,

What happens then?....my guess LWB GM Statesman/Caprice or 300c

Well done euro-Ford

It would have still have been an issue with that RWD platform. The Panther would still be uncompetitive in the marketplace without the technology/safety/comfort updates, and those do have substantial weight additions. Let's say, in the most optimistic situation, they balance out so that it's a net 0 weight gain. It would still have been at about 4,300 pounds. The Mustang V6 gets 19 in the city and 31 on the highway at 3,400 pounds. Do you realistically think that a Panther, even with the engine update, can substantially better its current 16/24? I find that an extremely doubtful proposition. In particular, the substantially lighter Hyundai Genesis V6 (3,389 pounds) gets 18/27. I just don't see it.