2011 Explorer Powertrain

The 2.0L makes 250lb-ft, the 3.5L makes 255lb-ft. From the sounds of it, they are about equal in power from idle-4000rpm. From 4000rpm on up, the 3.5L starts to pull away, topping out with a big 53hp advantage. Honestly, my wife's Edge rarely ever sees more than 4000rpm, so the 2.0L EB would be sufficient most of the time.

It would have been nice to see the 3.7L or 3.5L EB though. I like my 3.5L, but I expect the Explorer to weigh 500lb more than my Edge does.

Edited by atvman

Maybe that comes next? I think they're playing up the fuel mileage thing right now.

Yes but the reviews will bitch it is underpowered and that it needs more power and you can't get it. It will not hurt sales to have the 3.5eco engine in there as an option.

Maybe that comes next? I think they're playing up the fuel mileage thing right now.

Yes but the reviews will bitch it is underpowered and that it needs more power and you can't get it. It will not hurt sales to have the 3.5eco engine in there as an option.

The 2.0L makes 250lb-ft, the 3.5L makes 255lb-ft. From the sounds of it, they are about equal in power from idle-4000rpm. From 4000rpm on up, the 3.5L starts to pull away, topping out with a big 53hp advantage. Honestly, my wife's Edge rarely ever sees more than 4000rpm, so the 2.0L EB would be sufficient most of the time.

It would have been nice to see the 3.7L or 3.5L EB though. I like my 3.5L, but I expect the Explorer to weigh 500lb more than my Edge does.

Motortrend is predicting that it will weigh between 4350 and 4600lb, which is just 200lb or so more than an Edge. If this is true, then the 3.5L and 2.0L EB should be fine. Heck, it might even be quicker than my Edge because it has 25 extra ponies.

The Flex has the 3.5L EB, so I am sure the new Explorer will get it too, eventually. A 400 HP 3.5L EB Explorer Sport (or SHO or whatever they will call the sporty variant) would be pretty sweet. For now, a 290 HP Explorer with an optional fuel miser 2.0L EB will be just fine. They have to have some new stuff to offer in the future.

Ford needs to release a 2.5 liter EB engine to fill the missing hole. 285HP with 290lbs torque. Then they can idle down the 3.5 liter. But personally, I don't see Ford releasing such an engine for another 3 years.

The only engine not currently listed would be the 2.5 liter. BTW the 1.0 liter engine is a 3 cyl and is currently only planned for european markets..

1.0 EB 126 HP

1.6 EB 170 HP

2.0 EB 237 HP

2.5 EB 285 HP

2.5 EB H.O 310 HP

3.5 EB 365 HP

3.5 EB H.O. 400HP

It may be the front wheel drive setup found on the 4 cyl engine

quote name='PWR Kid' date='28 July 2010 - 01:00 AM' timestamp='1280293223' post='631077']

Not sure why towing on 4 cyl EB is only 2,000lbs.

V6 EB in F150 is going to be class leader in towing...

Motortrend is predicting that it will weigh between 4350 and 4600lb, which is just 200lb or so more than an Edge. If this is true, then the 3.5L and 2.0L EB should be fine. Heck, it might even be quicker than my Edge because it has 25 extra ponies.

No, the 2011 Edge has 285 hp. It will still perform better than the Explorer, lets not factor in the Sport Edge at 307 HP.

Not sure why towing on 4 cyl EB is only 2,000lbs...

Probably because the 2.0L EcoBoost is not capable of putting out max torque for sustained periods of time. Like driving up Eisenhower Pass with a loaded trailer.

Cresting Eisenhower Pass at nothing less posted minimum speed, with maximum Gross Vehicle COMBINED Weight is at least an "unofficial" test for Ford vehicles.

Probably because the 2.0L EcoBoost is not capable of putting out max torque for sustained periods of time. Like driving up Eisenhower Pass with a loaded trailer.

Cresting Eisenhower Pass at nothing less posted minimum speed, with maximum Gross Vehicle COMBINED Weight is at least an "unofficial" test for Ford vehicles.

This explains why I have seen many camouflaged Fords testing here on I-70 in Colorado over the years.

Eisenhower is not a pass but a twin mile long bore through the Continental Divide at about 11,000 Ft above sea level. The approaches, from both the east and west become exceptionally steep just before you enter the tunnel.

Edited by Kev-Mo