Ford execs defend boxy Flex crossover

mettech

Two 7 seat wagons still seem like too much redundancy to me when Ford has other needs like a smaller foot print pickup to consider or a unique Lincoln that is not based off anything the Ford brand makes.

This from the guy who insists that Ford made the wrong decision in axing Mercury which would have required even more resources to keep around than the Flex is tying up?

• 4 weeks later...

I would never be seen dead in a Flex or MKT (MKT is even worse), unless it was my funeral of course for which it would be perfect. With great products such as the fusion, edge, f series, taurus... I'm not sure what ford was thinking when they designed the Flex. Kind of reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek (although I admit it is a little bit nicer).

I would never be seen dead in a Flex or MKT (MKT is even worse), unless it was my funeral of course for which it would be perfect. With great products such as the fusion, edge, f series, taurus... I'm not sure what ford was thinking when they designed the Flex. Kind of reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek (although I admit it is a little bit nicer).

You obviously havean't ridden in or driven one.

• Like 1

My vote would be to add sliding doors and capture more of the mini-van crowd. I own a Dodge because Ford doesnt make a vehicle with sliding doors.

And most people buy a Flex because it's NOT a minivan. Crossovers vs. minivans - which one is growing and which one is a shrinking market?

They'd be better off making a true minivan off the D3 platform if they want one and leaving the Flex alone.

And most people buy a Flex because it's NOT a minivan. Crossovers vs. minivans - which one is growing and which one is a shrinking market?

They'd be better off making a true minivan off the D3 platform if they want one and leaving the Flex alone.

The Flex sold 4,151 units in August and Chrysler LLC sold 18,691 minivans (9,219 Caravans & 9,472 Town & Country). Why can't Ford move more than 4,151 of them when Chrysler can move 18,691 of their minivan shit boxes? Is it price? Is it that the Flex isn't family friendly enough? I don't know, but I do think it needs to be addressed. Why aren't they selling better?

Like I've said before, I would like to see the Flex either shrink a little and become more like a 3 row Edge or grow a little (wider & taller), sliders that look more like suicide doors than sliders (and try to hide the track somehow) and make it appeal to people that need the features of a minivan, but don't want a minivan. It's a great product, but I think it's just either a little too big for some or too small for others and only the right size for a few. Just my 2 cents.

The Flex sold 4,151 units in August and Chrysler LLC sold 18,691 minivans (9,219 Caravans & 9,472 Town & Country). Why can't Ford move more than 4,151 of them when Chrysler can move 18,691 of their minivan shit boxes? Is it price? Is it that the Flex isn't family friendly enough? I don't know, but I do think it needs to be addressed. Why aren't they selling better?

Like I've said before, I would like to see the Flex either shrink a little and become more like a 3 row Edge or grow a little (wider & taller), sliders that look more like suicide doors than sliders (and try to hide the track somehow) and make it appeal to people that need the features of a minivan, but don't want a minivan. It's a great product, but I think it's just either a little too big for some or too small for others and only the right size for a few. Just my 2 cents.

limited supply is one reason for lower sales #'s.....that and uncompetitive lease programs.....

Do you think a better supply & low lease rates would double current sales?

absolutely...........to 12000, no.....but when you tell someone their payments are $800 a month it doesnt usually end in a sale.....they were selling REALLY well when in the mid $500's with usual drives....funnily enough over Labor weekend we sold 7

absolutely...........to 12000, no.....but when you tell someone their payments are $800 a month it doesnt usually end in a sale.....they were selling REALLY well when in the mid $500's with usual drives....funnily enough over Labor weekend we sold 7

Dean, you are absolutely right. My neighbor priced a Flex a short time ago and for the same amount of money (within a few bucks) he leased a Mercedes R Class with similar terms. When I told him it was ugly, he said yeah but it's a Benz! I don't think people walk into a Ford dealer expecting to shell out $800 a month for a car. Ford needs to keep their leases to under $600 a month or they are pricing themselves out of their market.

So a Bronco has to get poor fuel economy and drive like crap on the highway to be a Bronco.

The real Broncos rode very hard because they didn't trade capability for comfort. A good off-roader needs lots of suspension travel and fairly stiff springs. You wouldn't expect the Raptor to ride like a Lincoln. I would not expect a Bronco to ride like one either. No doubt it would be an improvement over the '77 and prior Broncos.

With the 3.5 EcoBoost the economy would not have to be bad.

My vote would be to add sliding doors and capture more of the mini-van crowd. I own a Dodge because Ford doesnt make a vehicle with sliding doors.

I'm on my way to a Chrysler van because Ford quit making the minivans.... I need sliding doors and the space for my electric wheel chair. 62,000 miles on my Windstar.

• Like 2

I'm on my way to a Chrysler van because Ford quit making the minivans.... I need sliding doors and the space for my electric wheel chair. 62,000 miles on my Windstar.

You can get a real nice, low mileage used Freestar or Monterrey for less than $10,000. I'm getting ready to buy my parents one for the same reasons, sliding doors and room for a wheel chair.