MT pits the 2011 Mustang GT against the 2011 M3

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/index.html

Lap Times:

MT Editor Ed Loh:

BMW M3: 92.07sec

Mustang GT: 91.52sec

Pro driver Randy Pobst:

BMW M3: 86.67sec

Mustang GT: 86.76sec

0-60:

BMW M3: 4.4sec

Mustang GT: 4.4sec

1/4mi:

BMW M3: 12.8sec at 110.9mph

Mustang GT: 12.7sec at 111.6mph

Edited by atvman

Some how, they still awarded victory to the M3. Just ignore the facts that the Mustang equaled the M3 in every single performance category, was more fun to drive (their words, not mine), and costs $30K less; BMW can obviously do no wrong.

Edited by atvman

That's asinine.

The BMW wins because of SHOCKS?

????

For $26k extra, all you get is BETTER SHOCKS?

SHOCKS?

S*H*O*C*K*S?

I have a good mind to subscribe to Motor Trend just for the sheer joy of canceling my subscription.

LOL! Reminds of Allen Iverson's "Practice" rant...

Now, bolt on that new supercharger, and bye-bye Bimmer, and still save maybe $25K. :)

Or get a 2012 Boss 302? I read that the M3 was the Boss' benchmark and there was a Ford claim of superiority. Maybe the shocking issue was addressed. I don't think much more power would be required.

That's asinine.

The BMW wins because of SHOCKS?

????

For $26k extra, all you get is BETTER SHOCKS?

SHOCKS?

S*H*O*C*K*S?

I have a good mind to subscribe to Motor Trend just for the sheer joy of canceling my subscription.

Here’s how other M3 comparisons would weigh out:

M3 vs. Boss 302: The Boss would be faster around the track and better to drive, but the M3 wins because you have to physically turn a wrench to adjust the Boss 302’s suspension.

M3 vs. GT500: The GT500 would dominate all performance tests by a considerable margin, but the M3 would win because it’s NA V8 has more character than the GT500’s supercharged mill.

4 words:

"Gotta have it factor"

Seriously... not only was the "klassik old skool" Mustang GT (solid rear axle and all!) just compared with the be-all end-all M3, but the pony outperformed the Bimmer. And cost about half as much. That's enough of a win for me. Let the magazines rub one off over the M3... we know which car is superior (and, apparently, so do the buying public). :shift:

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Here’s how other M3 comparisons would weigh out:

M3 vs. Boss 302: The Boss would be faster around the track and better to drive, but the M3 wins because you have to physically turn a wrench to adjust the Boss 302’s suspension.

M3 vs. GT500: The GT500 would dominate all performance tests by a considerable margin, but the M3 would win because it’s NA V8 has more character than the GT500’s supercharged mill.

Here's a few more I just found:

M3 vs. Nude Sweedish Twins: While the twins are fun, the M3 wins based on its inability to speak and the fact you don't have to take it out to dinner before you go for a ride.

M3 vs. Chocolate Bacon Funnel Cakes: The sweet and salty fair fare is delicious, but the M3 narrowly pulls out a win. Death by crashing into a tree on the Nuremberg > Death by clogged arteries. Though MT says both left their hands a little sticky. :shades:

M3 vs. Jesus: M3 wins this one hands down. The M3 has been consistently improving since its debut (like the Mustang). Our Lord and Savior, on the other hand, was left to die and forced to rise again (like the Camaro).

• Like 2

that 0.09 second difference is statistically insignificant. Do you think he could run that lap so consistently that the difference between multiple runs in the same car would be within 1/10th of a second? I highly doubt it! They probably took an average of a bunch of laps, and I'm sure there was serious overlap. They gave the nod to the M3 as a formality, since anyone can tell that the Mustang is way more car for the money.

That accelleration testing was crazy. Talk about evenly matched vehicles, wow. For me the Mustang is the clear winner here for several reasons. The first being price. They proved you can do anything the M3 can in the Mustang including hauling $29,000 back to the bank once you pick up the car. We won't even mention what happens to you when you start repairing the BMW post warranty. There really is no experience like a BMW service visit for good reasons during warranty and bad reasons once out. $29,000 cannot be ignored. That is a ton of money and as the article states, you can buy another car with that savings.

The one unmentioned factor in the comparison is snob appeal.

Among the crowd that MT tries to appeal to, the snob appeal factor trumps performance, user friendliness, and looks every day.

And nothing that Ford will ever build will change that perception.

But, those who just want a good performance car, without all of the baggage, will probably go with the Mustang.

It's common knowledge that this is a huge win for the mustang. The crowd understands that the challenger has won and the challenger understands that as well, but we all know for the challenger to be awarded the bout he has to convincingly defeat or knockout the raining champ and the fact is the M3 is the standing champ. Who won the fight in Rocky, the guy who wasn't suppose to even be in the ring or the defending champ? Depends on who you ask, the bout was given to Apollo by the judges but the people already had there champ.

Ford has been putting out some really quality products for years now but had been losing the war of perception, merely by the audacity of a consumer reputable publication putting the Mustang against the M3 has instantaneously put it above everything in it's class and altered the state of how it is perceived in the minds of Americans, would not have happened five years ago guaranteed!

It's common knowledge that this is a huge win for the mustang. The crowd understands that the challenger has won and the challenger understands that as well, but we all know for the challenger to be awarded the bout he has to convincingly defeat or knockout the raining champ and the fact is the M3 is the standing champ. Who won the fight in Rocky, the guy who wasn't suppose to even be in the ring or the defending champ? Depends on who you ask, the bout was given to Apollo by the judges but the people already had there champ.

Ford has been putting out some really quality products for years now but had been losing the war of perception, merely by the audacity of a consumer reputable publication putting the Mustang against the M3 has instantaneously put it above everything in it's class and altered the state of how it is perceived in the minds of Americans, would not have happened five years ago guaranteed!

You don't dethrone the champ by competing, you dethrone the champ by beating his...