MT pits the 2011 Mustang GT against the 2011 M3

I think that if anything the Taurus is going shrink a bit from the current car....

As for the Falcon/Tbird...look at this way...its going to be a low volume Halo/Flagship car for the NA market...starting price in the 30K range and going up to 50K or so. Then we get to add the MKR to Lincoln lineup too! The Taurus will be the volume/every day car with the SHO as the model with extra spice.

If Ford builds a T-Bird as described in this thread, I doubt they'll set unrealistic sales expectations for it.

If Ford builds a T-Bird as described in this thread, I doubt they'll set unrealistic sales expectations for it.

Outside of the Flex supposedly selling as many as 100K units a year, I don't think Ford will make a mistake of announcing how many they plan on selling.

I just wonder how practical it is to import a Thunderbird and MKR from Australia if they only sell 70K of them a year in NA..unless Ford puts the Mustang into another plant and builds the RWD Sedan with it, but then where is that going to happen, since Flat Rock is shared with Mazda.

Id stick with thunderbird.....to do anything else would be as sacreligious as renaming the mustang the Probe. T-bird ranks as one of the top four ford Nameplates in my book, Mustang, Explorer and focus the others...in THAT order. So, new flagship I would guess, unless Blue is chain yanking and I doubt that....anyone says Crown Vic replacement should be temporarily suspended.....

I disagree. To me, it has always meant 2-door. And frankly, the name never did much for me anyway. You would put FOCUS above FALCON as far as iconic Ford nameplates?? :headscratch:

Face it, Thunderbird doesn't have much recognition anymore either...

At least the Thunderbird has been in production in the past 10 years and has 55 years of history behind it...can't say that about the Falcon! The Falcon is pretty much a nonentity these days....it was totally over shadowed by the Mustang, which its platform bore...

The Falcon name is ok, but I don't think it would work for a high class 30k+ Sedan..the Thunderbird has a better name for snob appeal.

At least the Thunderbird has been in production in the past 10 years and has 55 years of history behind it...can't say that about the Falcon! The Falcon is pretty much a nonentity these days....it was totally over shadowed by the Mustang, which its platform bore...

The Falcon name is ok, but I don't think it would work for a high class 30k+ Sedan..the Thunderbird has a better name for snob appeal.

I'd say if it has the looks and performance it won't matter what they call it.

Besides, Ford probably lost the "Falcon" naming rights here in the US like when they lost "Futura" to Pep Boys and "GT40" to whoever that was.

At least the Thunderbird has been in production in the past 10 years and has 55 years of history behind it...

And anyone who owned one of those built in the past 10 years is going to stay far, far away from a new one.

Falcon has global appeal. It's the longest continuous running car nameplate in Ford's entire worldwide lineup. If it's similar to the Aussie Falcon, it should be called Falcon.

Besides, Ford probably lost the "Falcon" naming rights here in the US like when they lost "Futura" to Pep Boys and "GT40" to whoever that was.

Ford still has an active copyright on Falcon.

And anyone who owned one of those built in the past 10 years is going to stay far, far away from a new one.

Just like the people who bought 2000 Focus and 2003 Escapes? They don't seem to have a problem selling these days....

Falcon has global appeal. It's the longest continuous running car nameplate in Ford's entire worldwide lineup. If it's similar to the Aussie Falcon, it should be called Falcon.

Whats the point? Using that logic the Mondeo should be renamed Fusion in Europe when they become platform mates

Anyways, the only way that it will work, is if the Thunderbird gets different sheetmetal then the Falcon..I dont see the current Falcon selling well at all with the current styling it has...its about a generation behind what is sold in NA,,,its not bad, but doesn't fit the look that people are expecting here.

Just like the people who bought 2000 Focus and 2003 Escapes? They don't seem to have a problem selling these days....

I would call the last gen Thunderbird a notably worse vehicle than either the 2000 Focus or 2003 Escape.

Whats the point? Using that logic the Mondeo should be renamed Fusion in Europe when they become platform mates

Anyways, the only way that it will work, is if the Thunderbird gets different sheetmetal then the Falcon..I dont see the current Falcon selling well at all with the current styling it has...its about a generation behind what is sold in NA,,,its not bad, but doesn't fit the look that people are expecting here.

Maybe the point is I just don't like the Thunderbird name one iota. :lol: It sounds retro-lame to me like Crown Victoria.

Ford still has an active copyright on Falcon.

couldnt disagree more in regards to the T-Bird....virtually 1/2 the teshs out back owned SC's or V8's....and the "screw up" T-Bird convertible used is in high demand, everytime we get one it gos QUICK.....Falcon is a 'good" name, thunderbird turns head and piques instant interest...especially here.

couldnt disagree more in regards to the T-Bird....virtually 1/2 the teshs out back owned SC's or V8's....

Did I make any reference to those vehicles? Besides, that was a couple decades ago now when those were new.

and the "screw up" T-Bird convertible used is in high demand, everytime we get one it gos QUICK

Because they aren't common and didn't hold value for crap.

.....Falcon is a 'good" name, thunderbird turns head and piques instant interest...especially here.

I just don't think 4-door sedan when I hear Thunderbird. It's such a vast departure from the previously available version, I think it would possibly even confuse customers.

How about Thundercougarfalconbird? That would please both of us and keep the Mercury diehards happy!!

Did I make any reference to those vehicles? Besides, that was a couple decades ago now when those were new.

Because they aren't common and didn't hold value for crap.

I just don't think 4-door sedan when I hear Thunderbird. It's such a vast departure from the previously available version, I think it would possibly even confuse customers.

How about Thundercougarfalconbird? That would please both of us and keep the Mercury diehards happy!!

Thunderbird is a name brand irrespective of year. The convertibles are selling for pretty high $, so i dont know where you get the low resale idea, and I may agree with the 4 door thinking, although several manufacturers are pursuing the 4door "coupe" stylistic.....although there were some 4 door t-birds made.....suicide doors and all.....my favorite was the convertible with the hard cover... Edited by Deanh

Thunderbird is a name brand irrespective of year.

So is Falcon.

The convertibles are selling for pretty high $, so i dont know where you get the low resale idea

I guess if you consider $15-20K for a $40K car to be "pretty high".... Better than the resale on my Mazda6 at least. That things's value has fallen like a rock. :doh:

Thunderbird is an iconic American car. Any car with a name Thunderbird will get attention. If the car is actually good, it will sell well. Falcon's a good name, but little history on this continent. Thunderbird is to Ford what Continental is to Lincoln. Both names should come back, but only on well executed top end vehicles.

I like NLPRacing's idea of both a Thunderbird 2 door and 4 door Falcon, along with a 4 door MKR/Continental for Lincoln. 3 birds (well 2 birds and a continental) with one stone and all could go Global. The Thunderbird/Falcon would be Fords top of the line vehicles. The Continental would be Lincolns. Throw the ecoboost v6 in the Fords and a modified 5.0 in the Linc.

Then make a shorter chassis version of the same RWD platform for Mustang and a 2 door coup version of the MKR/Continental/Cougar that will be the BMW M killer.

Then make a shorter chassis version of the same RWD platform for Mustang and a 2 door coup version of the MKR/Continental/Cougar that will be the BMW M killer.

The Mustang already kills the M3 in the 2012 Boss LOL

Wait a minute, we actually got back on topic with this thread! LOL

Edited by silvrsvt

You forgot perhaps the greatest Ford nameplate in history, F150.

The holy trinity of Ford nameplates:

Thunderbird, Mustang and Bronco

Others are great sellers, but only Ford can build the three vehicles named above.

The earlier post said the T-bird is coming...anyone here up for a Bronco built on a shortened Raptor chassis?

Edited by Kev-Mo

The holy trinity of Ford nameplates:

Thunderbird, Mustang and Bronco

Others are great sellers, but only Ford can build the three vehicles named above.

The earlier post said the T-bird is coming...anyone here up for a Bronco built on a shortened Raptor chassis?

Insiders say the TBird is coming as a Falcon-based 4door coupe / sports sedan and that a Bronco is under development within the T6 program.