Transit Connect 2011 Updates

I really like the TC, and am glad it seems to have found acceptance. I see them all over the place. I know of at least two small business owners who are saving up to buy one. :)

I did notice that for 2011 they added an upgrade package that adds more minivan-ness to the car, like cargo area rear windows and the like. I'm really glad they did that.

Do we know when the Transit Connect is being replaced? I imagine it would get the 2.0I4 from the 2012 Focus and/or the 1.6 EcoBoost.

I really like the TC, and am glad it seems to have found acceptance. I see them all over the place. I know of at least two small business owners who are saving up to buy one. :)

I did notice that for 2011 they added an upgrade package that adds more minivan-ness to the car, like cargo area rear windows and the like. I'm really glad they did that.

Do we know when the Transit Connect is being replaced? I imagine it would get the 2.0I4 from the 2012 Focus and/or the 1.6 EcoBoost.

It will get replaced when Ford Europe decides it wants a new one. And no, we won't be getting the 2.0 DI or 1.6 Ecoboost anytime soon. You have to remember the gasoline powered Transit Connect is a US/Canada only product with only 25k or so units per year. Ford is not going to throw money into a new powertrain development before the old one is paid off. The European Transit Connect is available only with turbo diesel engine and 5 speed manual... if anything, Ford will give the Europeans new diesel engines and DCT gearbox. Nothing that good for the US Transit Connect. We are stuck with CD4E until Ford stops making it.

Edited by bzcat

It will get replaced when Ford Europe decides it wants a new one. And no, we won't be getting the 2.0 DI or 1.6 Ecoboost anytime soon. You have to remember the gasoline powered Transit Connect is a US/Canada only product with only 25k or so units per year. Ford is not going to throw money into a new powertrain development before the old one is paid off. The European Transit Connect is available only with turbo diesel engine and 5 speed manual... if anything, Ford will give the Europeans new diesel engines and DCT gearbox. Nothing that good for the US Transit Connect. We are stuck with CD4E until Ford stops making it.

Tc is based on the current Focus ( Euro ) chassis no?....and that goes away when the 2012 Focus is here next year....why would they continue to manufacture a redundant floorplan?

Tc is based on the current Focus ( Euro ) chassis no?....and that goes away when the 2012 Focus is here next year....why would they continue to manufacture a redundant floorplan?

Transit Connect is based on the first Focus, not the current C1 Focus. So it has been "redundant" (as you put it) since it was launched.

It's really not redundant though... it is cheap and made in Turkey, which means it doesn't have to be on the same platform architecture as more expensive mainstream C-segment sedan/hatch that are made in Germany/Spain or USA.

Ford will eventually replace it with a new one... that much is assured. However, I was just pointing out that it won't be any time soon. Not especially since the van just received a mid cycle update (the US version grill will appear in the European version next year too). And the Europeans don't get the outdated CD4E so from their point of view, there is not much need to speed ahead on replacement.

IIRC, rumor has it that it would be assembled here, eventually. The new chassis would be a great place to start. IMHO, it's too big a market to stay out of. :)

it is not CD4E it is the FN from the focus.

I would agree with your assessment except for the fact that we are adding the Taxi model and look to be the new postal carrier van in the next few years in Canada and possibly US.

The new chassis would be a great place to start. IMHO, it's too big a market to stay out of. :)

I really don't see the need for a new platform..the current one is just a C170 from the A pillar forward attached to a custom body. Its sorta like a E series van...just needs improvement every 10 years or so.

if the sales only stay in the 25K range and its cheap enough to make it turkey and bring over here...why not keep doing it?

Only Transit Connect and Transit van info I have read is that Transit Connect production in Turkey will end and its switch to Craiova. Craiova will become a ―high body plant for small cars, making the Transit Connect and B-Max: A critical factor behind Craiova production volumes will be the success the Transit Connect has in North America. Some analysts have projected Transit Connect volumes closer to 150,000 on the back of strong North American sales.

That said, however, the stronger the North American sales of this model, the more likely it is that Ford will decide to make this model in North America.

Ford's van plant in the UK at Southampton will be retained; it will make the chassis-cab versions of the Transit when the new model is launched in 2012-13; the full bodied van versions will all be made in Kocaeli Turkey.

http://lib.smmt.co.uk/articles/MemberServices/MemberServices/final%20version%20of%20po%20report%20july%202010.pdf

Edited by MKII

Only Transit Connect and Transit van info I have read is that Transit Connect production in Turkey will end and its switch to Craiova. Craiova will become a ―high body plant for small cars, making the Transit Connect and B-Max: A critical factor behind Craiova production volumes will be the success the Transit Connect has in North America. Some analysts have projected Transit Connect volumes closer to 150,000 on the back of strong North American sales.

That said, however, the stronger the North American sales of this model, the more likely it is that Ford will decide to make this model in North America.

Ford's van plant in the UK at Southampton will be retained; it will make the chassis-cab versions of the Transit when the new model is launched in 2012-13; the full bodied van versions will all be made in Kocaeli Turkey.

http://lib.smmt.co.uk/articles/MemberServices/MemberServices/final%20version%20of%20po%20report%20july%202010.pdf

It makes sense for Turkey to lose the TC once US production starts which will allow Turkey to start building a cheap cars for the area. But they will have to watch their market share there. The TC sells around the same levels in Turkey as the US does per month.

Didnt Ford say all new for MY13?

And Mulally wants the least number of the platforms running at the same time as he can. That says to me he wants to kill off the old C170 platform to save costs.

Well, that's like cutting off your foot so it stops itching... :) The number of platform per se is meaningless. It's the commonality between models that counts. The problem with Ford before is that North American models were vastly different from Worldwide models so Ford couldn't get any meaningful savings from R&D or procurement standpoint. If Transit Connect shares engine, transmission, and other major components with existing or future Fords, why does it matter that half of its chassis is from the C170 platform? That in itself is no more meaningful than to say Transit Connect has unique windshield and body panels. Even if Ford moves Transit Connect to C2 platform (and they might do that anyway in a few years when production moves to the US), the platform itself is still going to be different... Transit Connect has solid axle rear suspension whereas Focus has independent rear suspension. The talk of "platforms" is an easy short hand for internet car enthusiasts but for product development and production engineers, their concern is not so much that this particular car will have a unique stamping for floor pan or what not. It is how much work they have to do to redesign a key part (say transmission linkage or suspension mounting point) because design parameter dictates the shape of the car be changed. If Ford can fit future powertrain (e.g. plug in hybrid) in the existing Transit Connect package, there is no reason to redesign the van just for the sake of reducing number of platforms (that is also not to say that Ford should stop updating it ala US Ranger or Panther).

Well, that's like cutting off your foot so it stops itching... :) The number of platform per se is meaningless. It's the commonality between models that counts. The problem with Ford before is that North American models were vastly different from Worldwide models so Ford couldn't get any meaningful savings from R&D or procurement standpoint. If Transit Connect shares engine, transmission, and other major components with existing or future Fords, why does it matter that half of its chassis is from the C170 platform? That in itself is no more meaningful than to say Transit Connect has unique windshield and body panels. Even if Ford moves Transit Connect to C2 platform (and they might do that anyway in a few years when production moves to the US), the platform itself is still going to be different... Transit Connect has solid axle rear suspension whereas Focus has independent rear suspension. The talk of "platforms" is an easy short hand for internet car enthusiasts but for product development and production engineers, their concern is not so much that this particular car will have a unique stamping for floor pan or what not. It is how much work they have to do to redesign a key part (say transmission linkage or suspension mounting point) because design parameter dictates the shape of the car be changed. If Ford can fit future powertrain (e.g. plug in hybrid) in the existing Transit Connect package, there is no reason to redesign the van just for the sake of reducing number of platforms (that is also not to say that Ford should stop updating it ala US Ranger or Panther).

Well by MY13, it will be 10 years old in Europe. VW just came out with a new Caddy so its time.

The number of platform per se is meaningless. It's the commonality between models that counts

The simplest way to insure communality (of components) is to have common (fewer) platforms !

If Transit Connect shares engine, transmission, and other major components with existing or future Fords, why does it matter that half of its chassis is from the C170 platform?

It may share engines and transmissions, but a lot of things that could be common are not. The C170 has a different front suspension, interior, etc than the C1. If the TC was built off of the C1 they could probably share front fender, hood and doors.

Even if Ford moves Transit Connect to C2 platform (and they might do that anyway in a few years when production moves to the US), ...

The TC will go to the current C1 platform soon, probably less than 5 years. US production will NOT be a driving force.

The talk of "platforms" is an easy short hand for internet car enthusiasts but for product development and production engineers, their concern is not so much that this particular car will have a unique stamping for floor pan or what not. It is how much work they have to do to redesign a key part (say transmission linkage or suspension mounting point) because design parameter dictates the shape of the car be changed.

Yes and no. What you are saying is true for "fixed costs" (engineering) but not true for "variable costs (piece costs which generally goes down as volume goes up)

If Ford can fit future powertrain (e.g. plug in hybrid) in the existing Transit Connect package, there is no reason to redesign the van ...

My guess is that current/future powertrains don't fit. If they don't sell an automatic version of the TC in EU, then why don't they use the automatic transmission from the current EU C170 ?

The simplest way to insure communality (of components) is to have common (fewer) platforms !

It may share engines and transmissions, but a lot of things that could be common are not. The C170 has a different front suspension, interior, etc than the C1. If the TC was built off of the C1 they could probably share front fender, hood and doors.

The TC will go to the current C1 platform soon, probably less than 5 years. US production will NOT be a driving force.

Yes and no. What you are saying is true for "fixed costs" (engineering) but not true for "variable costs (piece costs which generally goes down as volume goes up)

My guess is that current/future powertrains don't fit. If they don't sell an automatic version of the TC in EU, then why don't they use the automatic transmission from the current EU C170 ?

I think you mean that the new Focus platform which i guess is C2...

I'm surprised at how popular the Transit Connect has become in the US. I'm surprised other manufacturers aren't yet sending over their competitors.

Ford's competitors that have similar products in Europe are not in the commercial van market in the US or not here period.

FordTransitConnect-001.jpg

VW Caddy - Not interested in commercial market in the US, also available mainly with diesel engines and no conventional automatic (manual or expensive DSG only)

800px-VW_Caddy_front_20080126.jpg

Renault Kangoo - May work as a Nissan but it was not designed with US Federal standards in mind so probably too expensive to convert at this point

769px-Renault_Kangoo_II_Rapid_Phase_I_dCi.JPG

Puegeot Partner/Citroën Berlingo - Not in the US

800px-Peugeot_Partner_Tepee_front_20100515.jpg

800px-Citroen_Berlingo_II_%282008%29_front.jpg

Fiat Doblò - Maybe one day it will make it here as Ram van... but not anytime soon

800px-Fiat_Dobl%C3%B2_second_generation_2010.jpg

Škoda Praktik/Roomster - Could work as a VW rebadge but why would VW bother with it when it is not interested in bring the Caddy over?

800px-Skoda_Praktik_z_boku.jpg

Opel Combo - It's ancient and uncompetitive. Also too small (based on Corsa B-car as opposed to C-car based competitors)

ComboopelB.JPG

Edited by bzcat

Ford's competitors that have similar products in Europe are not in the commercial van market in the US or not here period.

FordTransitConnect-001.jpg

VW Caddy - Not interested in commercial market in the US, also available mainly with diesel engines and no conventional automatic (manual or expensive DSG only)

Renault Kangoo - May work as a Nissan but it was not designed with US Federal standards in mind so probably too expensive to convert at this point

769px-Renault_Kangoo_II_Rapid_Phase_I_dCi.JPG

Puegeot Partner/Citroën Berlingo - Not in the US

800px-Peugeot_Partner_Tepee_front_20100515.jpg

800px-Citroen_Berlingo_II_%282008%29_front.jpg

Fiat Doblò - Maybe one day it will make it here as Ram van... but not anytime soon

800px-Fiat_Dobl%C3%B2_second_generation_2010.jpg

Škoda Praktik/Roomster - Could work as a VW rebadge but why would VW bother with it when it is not interested in bring the Caddy over?

800px-Skoda_Praktik_z_boku.jpg

Opel Combo - It's ancient and uncompetitive. Also too small (based on Corsa B-car as opposed to C-car based competitors)

ComboopelB.JPG

Those others make the TC look downright handsome, not that it matters much in the commercial market.

Transit Connect is scheduled to receive the 1.6 Liter EB engine along with a 6 speed transmission at the next major refresh. Europe will also receive the 1.6 liter EB for their Transit Connect.

if true awesome...but necessary?,,,also i would guess the 6 speed is auto...

Volkswagen in particular has a very nice line of commercial vehicles that would probably do very well here, if only they could figure out how to make money on them.

The Sprinter is now being sold rather successfully with a Mercedes-Benz badge on it, so there may be room for yet more Euro commercial vans of all sizes down the road.