U.S.-spec Ford Ranger to officially end production in 2011, Ford explains why

Ford's new marketing slogan:

"If you can't beat'em; fuck it, why bother?"

Why bother when it won't make any/very little profit and they have a product that is far more capable and gets good MPG with the EB V6?

As I see it the only thing the Ranger has over the F-150 is size, and thats at the expense of interior space...I can't fit into a standard cab comfortably. A SuperCab Ranger is a pretty decent size but stepping up into a base F-150 isnt' that big of a stretch....I've driven a SuperCab Ranger and a F-150 XLT and yes the F-150 is bigger but its not like driving a Super Duty.

You're pissing against the wind here. Too many F-series cheerleaders that refuse to acknowledge that using the present 20 year old design Ranger sales numbers mean nothing compared to a modern truck, and that not everyone is fat assed and needs an F150 to haul them around.

Just buy a Tacoma. It's better than what Ford can do anyways.

Ford's new marketing slogan:

"If you can't beat'em; fuck it, why bother?"

No, you're pissing against the wind because Ford knows it business

and the changing market trends better than any of us.

As much as Toyota Tacoma leads that sector, it also rips the guts

out of Tundra sales too, something Ford is keen to avoid doing.

Edit,

Change is hard and some of our favorite vehicles are going to fall along the way,

I'm hoping that a T6 will pop up in the near future when Ford decides it needs an

even more fuel efficient truck to meet tightening CAFE regulations.

And let's not forget, this is not completely about products, it's also about

eliminating excess production capacity in the North America and placing

alternative products out there. the cost savings through doing that are

probably just as good as spending a whole bunch on redundant product.

Ranger / Panther made redundant and replaced by continuing platforms,

that there is a huge gain to Ford even with a decrease in sales.

Edited by jpd80

No, you're pissing against the wind because Ford knows it business

and the changing market trends better than any of us.

As much as Toyota Tacoma leads that sector, it also rips the guts

out of Tundra sales too, something Ford is keen to avoid doing.

Edit,

Change is hard and some of our favorite vehicles are going to fall along the way,

I'm hoping that a T6 will pop up in the near future when Ford decides it needs an

even more fuel efficient truck to meet tightening CAFE regulations.

Been over it again and again. Nobody buys a Tacoma that needs a full sized truck. Nobody buys a Fiesta that needs a truck.

F150 is killing the Tundra, not the Tacoma. The Tacoma is killing the Ranger. People see a better product, and flock to it.

Ford doesn't want to bother spending the money, figure that they would just as easily buy an F150. If I didn't work for Ford, I would tell them "Fuck you very much" and go buy a Tacoma; hell I would have when I bought my Ranger.

>>I am the market. If you're not here, you can shut up. You don't get it.<<

Ford doesn't want to bother spending the money, figure that they would just as easily buy an F150. If I didn't work for Ford, I would tell them "Fuck you very much" and go buy a Tacoma; hell I would have when I bought my Ranger.

>>I am the market. If you're not here, you can shut up. You don't get it.<<

Yes, I do get it but you have to understand that this is also about rationalization of plant,

There may well be a market for T6 but Ford is using this excuse to eliminate plants.

I hope they change their mind and bring T6 later.

As for Flocking to Tacoma, their sales are not that much in front of Ranger given

the expenditure on Tacoma over the global Hilux, I think they need every sale they are getting.

Well lucky for them a big chunk of 40,000 sales might be coming their way.! :hysterical:

T6 is revealed at Sydney international Motor show in approx 2 weeks,

I have friends going and will post pictures as I get them.

FoA will have Territory II on display with its 2.7 V6 diesel and also Ecoboost I-4 Falcon.

More than likely they will, but will be badged "F-150".

Fuel economy regs are going to get tough. Ford will have to meet them somehow.

Knowing Ford, this move is all about closing plants and substituting as many products as possible.

After that is done, it's possible that a T6 Ranger turns up as F100...I sure hope so.

Edited by jpd80

Back on page three or so I made a post that I can't find now. I don't know whether it's the security here or something deleting my posts, but, regardless;

What I posted was that I didn't believe ranger drivers bought them because they were the "cheapest" veh ford offered. Also, I doubted whether current ranger drivers would be future fiesta or f-150 drivers. At that time I said I would talk to rangers drivers and ask.

The results of current ranger owners:

Would you buy a f-150 if the ranger was cancelled No 9 Yes 2

Would you buy a fiesta if the ranger wasn't available anymore? No 11 Yes 0

Would you buy a f-150 or another companies 1/4 ton if the ranger was cancelled? f-150 4 other 1/4 ton 7

Would you buy a transit connect to replace your ranger? (after lots of laughter) No 11 Yes0

Did you buy your ranger because it was the cheapest veh for offered? No 11 Yes 0

Some reasons cited why they want/need a 1/4 ton;

1) parking space (7)

2) standard available (2)

3) better milage (8) (although all said they were disappointed with the ranger and thought it would/should be better)

So, to sum up.

The 11 all want a ranger size TRUCK with a open box. They all want better milage. Some said they want standard tranny's. Those who knew the difference agreed a truck needs a solid frame but 3 said as long as it worked they wouldn't care. Most had cars as regular vehicles and the ranger was a second vehicle for work/hauling.

They ALL said the ranger is very capable and can handle way more load than they need. (two had baby farms who LOAD the boxes with wood/manure/hay/etc)

Not exactly official but I did try to be impartial

I do think people buy Rangers because they want a cheaper TRUCK. A stripped Focus was cheaper than a base Ranger.

The whole point was whether Ranger buyers would spend more money for an updated truck. I think as long as the fuel mileage was 3-4 mpg better than the F150 and at least $4000 cheaper than a comparable F150 then it would sell ok. Whether it would sell enough to pay it's own way is another issue and that depends on where it can be assembled and how many variants can be made.

The whole point was whether Ranger buyers would spend more money for an updated truck. I think as long as the fuel mileage was 3-4 mpg better than the F150 and at least $4000 cheaper than a comparable F150 then it would sell ok. Whether it would sell enough to pay it's own way is another issue and that depends on where it can be assembled and how many variants can be made.

...which are all figured that Ford has and we don't.

I've said this in other threads, but I'll say it here. The Ranger has a great reputation as a cheap, basic, reliable, compact truck. "Cheap and Basic" doesn't fit into the new Ford product mantra, so changes need to be made.

Would it be easier to:

-Convince buyers to spend considerably more money (and likely without heavy incentives) on a larger, more capable Ranger, priced within a stones throw of the more capable F-150.

or

-Let the Ranger nameplate go away, and re-introduce a compact / midsize pickup as an F-100, which would a) shed the cheap, archaic stigma attached to the Ranger nameplate, and B) further pad total "F-Series" sales numbers for marketing purposes.

I know that one of The Mul's first acts was to resurrect the Taurus nameplate, but he's surely gotten a little more in tune with the Auto industry over the last few years, and likely sees that in certain situations, it's easier to build a new brand for new product rather than repair and old nameplate for a new a different product.

"-Let the Ranger nameplate go away, and re-introduce a compact / midsize pickup as an F-100, which would a) shed the cheap, archaic stigma attached to the Ranger nameplate, and further pad total "F-Series" sales numbers for marketing purposes. "

I fully agree with this, I was just commenting on what I found....heck I'm like 16+ pages behind ok?LOL!

I too think ford will bring out a f-100, just that their "leaks" have been plugged.

On side note, police officers from around the country were congregating at Chelsea Proving Grounds testing the latest police car offerings from various auto companies. The consensus seemed to be that they favored RWD over FWD and lamented that Crown Vic was leaving the scene and replaced by FWD/AWD only. You just know that Ford is going to lose police market share over this decision.

losing low margin fleet sales.

Oh the horror.

Right sizing production capacity to true market sales and rationalization of products continues at Ford.

Panther and Ranger plants close, those products either partially or fully replaced by other existing products.

Even if they only recover a fraction of those lost sales, the changes add up to huge cost savings for Ford.

This is why Ford can make profit in tight times and why companies like GM and Chrysler are struggling..

Edited by jpd80

Right sizing production capacity to true market sales and rationalization of products continues at Ford.

Panther and Ranger plants close, those products either partially or fully replaced by other existing products.

Even if they only recover a fraction of those lost sales, the changes add up to huge cost savings for Ford.

This is why Ford can make profit in tight times and why companies like GM and Chrysler are struggling..

And this is why I don't buy products from Ford in tight times! I won't spend a thin dime on a vehicle I don't want! Instead, I'll just wait until they build something I do want. Which, in Ford's case, looks to be "not in the forseeable future". Too bad, since I bleed Ford blue...

And this is why I don't buy products from Ford in tight times! I won't spend a thin dime on a vehicle I don't want! Instead, I'll just wait until they build something I do want. Which, in Ford's case, looks to be "not in the forseeable future". Too bad, since I bleed Ford blue...

Is it Ford's fault that you like now volume niche vehicles that don't yield a lot of profit?

Is it Ford's fault that you like now volume niche vehicles that don't yield a lot of profit?

No. And I can't say that I blame them for the decisions they've made. (Although I do think there is a reasonable chance they made the wrong call on the Ranger - but only time will tell...)

The problem with not having niche vehicles comes when the niche product market becomes the mainstream market. It's happened before (SUVs and CUVs) and it'll happen again. Not necessarily with compact pickups (although CAFE does point towards that), but it shows the importance of not completely abandoning all market segments that you can't make a fortune selling products in.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

No. And I can't say that I blame them for the decisions they've made. (Although I do think there is a reasonable chance they made the wrong call on the Ranger - but only time will tell...)

The problem with not having niche vehicles comes when the niche product market becomes the mainstream market. It's happened before (SUVs and CUVs) and it'll happen again. Not necessarily with compact pickups (although CAFE does point towards that), but it shows the importance of not completely abandoning all market segments that you can't make a fortune selling products in.

I would hope that after rationalzation of products and plants is done late next year, the door will be left open a crack for the T6 Ranger to be imported and sold in North America. While it does over lap with certain F150 versions, I think Ford will be forced to supply a narrower I-4 Ecoboost truck to the market. It could be that they intend supplying their own narrower and lighter F100 instead.

Fingers crossed for you either way.....

I would hope that after rationalzation of products and plants is done late next year, the door will be left open a crack for the T6 Ranger to be imported and sold in North America. While it does over lap with certain F150 versions, I think Ford will be forced to supply a narrower I-4 Ecoboost truck to the market. It could be that they intend supplying their own narrower and lighter F100 instead.

Fingers crossed for you either way.....

F150 has zero chance of making the 2016 EPA standards. The T6 ranger will be brought in as an F100 at that point.

We 'll get the T6 only we 'll have to wait another 3-4 years.

F150 has zero chance of making the 2016 EPA standards. The T6 ranger will be brought in as an F100 at that point.

We 'll get the T6 only we 'll have to wait another 3-4 years.

Once you factor in special credits for flex-fuel vehicles, electric vehicles like the Connect, the EPA cycle used for CAFE being from the 80s, and the fuel economy of the dozens of crossovers that count as "trucks", I'm not too worried.

What is strange is that Ford, GM and Mopar are dumping their compact/middle pickups due to low sales, while Toyota Tacoma sells OK.

However, Detroit full size pick ups sell in great amounts, while the Toyota Tundra is an also ran, never did sell at its targets!

Best for companies to sell what they are experts at.