New Flagship LIncoln in the Works

Given Ford's financial stability now, I think there are a lot more projects that will have the ability to get green-lit now as compared to the earlier parts of the decade. Now it's just a matter of time for the existing programs to cycle their way through again for some of these previously unrealized opportunities to move forward.

2014 is not that far away now. MY 2014 is even closer. Now is the time to plan for a RWD platform for both the Mustang and Lincoln and hopefully a new RWD T-Bird. Good homes for the 5.0V8. With modern technology and lighter materials, these vehicles should be decent when it comes to fuel efficiency. I believe Auto Stop technology will be really spread out by 2013 also. I can see a 5.0 V8 getting 30mpg highway by 2013 and much better city mileage also with Auto Stop and other technology and lighter weight materials.

Now is the time to plan for a RWD platform for both the Mustang and Lincoln and hopefully a new RWD T-Bird

The project might be underway right now. As the owner of an LS, I'd love see another RWD sedan from Lincoln. However, I understand the necessity of prioritization of capital resources and I may have to wait a few more years.

Edited by TomServo92

So, to recap...

The "new Flagship" that some dealers thought they saw at the meeting is actually a new MKS moved onto the MKT's 5" longer wheelbase. We don't know if this is the soon-to-be-shown MCE'd MKS or the 2nd generation of the car. The other new Lincolns coming are the new MKZ, freshened Navigator, MCE'd MKT, Sporty Compact SUV, and an unknown new product. There aren't any RWD plans coming in the immediate future but there are plans on the table. The smaller MKZ and larger MKS leave a gap that could easily be filled by a Falcon or Mustang variant. Ford is reportedly studying the idea of a Lincoln SuperDuty but that seems far from getting the greenlight.

Meanwhile, this "on its deathbed" Lincoln brand was only a few hundred units behind "rising star" Audi for September. FordBuyer and others still contend that Cadillac's "success" is due to its single RWD car, the heavily decontented and discounted CTS, while also praising the hot selling but poorly built (and also decontented) SRX for selling 4,000 a month. These RWD foamers also totally ignore that Cadillac's next big launch is the FWD, Buick based luxo-barge XTS.

Some are upset that Lincoln will still be sharing platforms with Ford, while disregarding the fact that Lexus' 2 best sellers are based on Toyotas: the ES (Camry) and RX (Highlander).

And, through all this mess, Ford has charted a clear and direct path for Lincoln products going forward, and has given dealers the whole "For Us or Against Us, this is what you have to do" schtick. They've also whipped up some pretty snazzy ads for the impressive new MKX and class-leading MKZ Hybrid.

So, to recap...

The "new Flagship" that some dealers thought they saw at the meeting is actually a new MKS moved onto the MKT's 5" longer wheelbase. We don't know if this is the soon-to-be-shown MCE'd MKS or the 2nd generation of the car. The other new Lincolns coming are the new MKZ, freshened Navigator, MCE'd MKT, Sporty Compact SUV, and an unknown new product. There aren't any RWD plans coming in the immediate future but there are plans on the table. The smaller MKZ and larger MKS leave a gap that could easily be filled by a Falcon or Mustang variant. Ford is reportedly studying the idea of a Lincoln SuperDuty but that seems far from getting the greenlight.

Meanwhile, this "on its deathbed" Lincoln brand was only a few hundred units behind "rising star" Audi for September. FordBuyer and others still contend that Cadillac's "success" is due to its single RWD car, the heavily decontented and discounted CTS, while also praising the hot selling but poorly built (and also decontented) SRX for selling 4,000 a month. These RWD foamers also totally ignore that Cadillac's next big launch is the FWD, Buick based luxo-barge XTS.

Some are upset that Lincoln will still be sharing platforms with Ford, while disregarding the fact that Lexus' 2 best sellers are based on Toyotas: the ES (Camry) and RX (Highlander).

And, through all this mess, Ford has charted a clear and direct path for Lincoln products going forward, and has given dealers the whole "For Us or Against Us, this is what you have to do" schtick. They've also whipped up some pretty snazzy ads for the impressive new MKX and class-leading MKZ Hybrid.

TY!!!!!!!! :D

are you syndicated?

can you do something like ^that^ for the SyFy channel shows I can't get anymore?

was your father (or grandfather) the announcer on Rocky & Bullwinkle?

Nice summary. I still have hesitation writing a big check for a new showroom however. Care to contribute? Now taking donations.....

So, to recap...

Edited by RichardJensen
How is it you always clip that leading '['?

"The "new Flagship" that some dealers thought they saw at the meeting is actually a new MKS moved onto the MKT's 5" longer wheelbase."

A 5" longer wheelbase MKS? Whatever they call it, that will make an impressive automobile. It's not the RWD sled that the RWD fundamentalists desire, but the majority of the luxo market won't care. :)

"The "new Flagship" that some dealers thought they saw at the meeting is actually a new MKS moved onto the MKT's 5" longer wheelbase."

A 5" longer wheelbase MKS? Whatever they call it, that will make an impressive automobile. It's not the RWD sled that the RWD fundamentalists desire, but the majority of the luxo market won't care. :)

I agree. If the styling is more in line with the new MKX, they'll see some huge improvement in MKS sales.

I thought I read somewhere that Ford took one of the models from China and put a stretch to it. I wonder if this is off the same platform. That would mean they already have done something similar...

I thought I read somewhere that Ford took one of the models from China and put a stretch to it. I wonder if this is off the same platform. That would mean they already have done something similar...

maybe you're thinking of this Mondeo

long-wheelbase-ford-mondeo-spotted-in-china_100219201_m.jpg

MotorAuthority article from July'07

Oh hey. I forgot about that.

That may be a clue about CD4 and larger sedans... OTOH, the MKS on the MKT wheelbase would argue that Ford will be keeping D4 for large vehicle applications.

on that point, Focus and Fusion shared power trains and electrical systems but have

different suspension and frames to allow the vehicles to keep strength up and weight down.

CD4 and D4 will share power trains and electrical systems saving quite a bit of up front costs but

I'd like to see D4 Taurus get a sedan styled floor pan, that would improve the vehicle's looks even more by

allowing a slightly lower hip line, just moving the body around enough to make it look a lot more sleeker.

The smaller MKZ and larger MKS leave a gap that could easily be filled by a Falcon or Mustang variant.

I know I've seen this "smaller MKZ" referred to before, but how much "smaller" is the MKZ expected to be? (A little bigger than Focus, but smaller than the existing MKZ? The size of the new Focus?) It'll be interesting to see the features/power this thing gets...I'll reserve judgment, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with a smaller MKZ and bigger MKS.

Realistically that would make sense. I can imagine the MKT's hopped up beltine applied to a traditional sedan roofline. Even the rear tail panel can be a derivative of the MKT while getting rid of the rear end styling on the current MKS that looks like it was borrowed from a Korean sedan.

So, to recap...

The "new Flagship" that some dealers thought they saw at the meeting is actually a new MKS moved onto the MKT's 5" longer wheelbase. We don't know if this is the soon-to-be-shown MCE'd MKS or the 2nd generation of the car.

A LWB MKS sounds like a great move and would probably connect better with (conservative) Lincoln buyers,

I wonder how a LWB Taurus would sell, probably a great Titanium Luxury flagship for Ford..

Jaguar designer, Ian Callum was saying that with Luxury vehicles, build them as big as you can.....

Edited by jpd80

on that point, Focus and Fusion shared power trains and electrical systems but have

different suspension and frames to allow the vehicles to keep strength up and weight down.

CD4 and D4 will share power trains and electrical systems saving quite a bit of up front costs but

I'd like to see D4 Taurus get a sedan styled floor pan, that would improve the vehicle's looks even more by

allowing a slightly lower hip line, just moving the body around enough to make it look a lot more sleeker.

Lower and sleeker, Calum skin. That's the plan.

I know I've seen this "smaller MKZ" referred to before, but how much "smaller" is the MKZ expected to be? (A little bigger than Focus, but smaller than the existing MKZ? The size of the new Focus?) It'll be interesting to see the features/power this thing gets...I'll reserve judgment, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with a smaller MKZ and bigger MKS.

I think he was referring to them with respect to each other, not that the next MKX will be smaller than it is now.

I think he was referring to them with respect to each other, not that the next MKX will be smaller than it is now.

Taurus and Mondeo both have 112" wheelbase so unless one of them changes,

the next gen Fusion will look like a Taurus with stumpy nose and tail......

And it's a good one too, will be interesting to see how all this pans out,

a bigger Taurus might make room for other products to slot in....

(Ever hopeful RWD guy)

It was a plan under GRWD and PAG. Ian Calum back then. Was a version for you guys too. But that's old news.

They got the Focus sedan right. Taurus will be what it was supposed to be, low and sleek. Squint your eyes at the Jag.

I see. So more of a "bigger MKS" than "smaller MKZ". I just think if you chuck the idea of badge-engineering, blah-blah-blah, that the MKZ as it is now is the perfect size. Any Lincoln right now would be a stretch for me, but an MKZ is do-able. You make it smaller (even though I have no kids, no wife, not even a gf!--yes, I am lame, thank you), I have no interest, regardless of the cost. Interesting observation: My BIL recently got a 3-series. My sister's basic comment on it: "It's really small". FYI to manufacturers: We're still Americans. Neither I, nor my sister, nor my BIL are fatasses (I'm 5'8" 160 lbs), but I don't do small. I did it already for most of my life and I'm done doing it. Period.

I see. So more of a "bigger MKS" than "smaller MKZ". I just think if you chuck the idea of badge-engineering, blah-blah-blah, that the MKZ as it is now is the perfect size. Any Lincoln right now would be a stretch for me, but an MKZ is do-able. You make it smaller (even though I have no kids, no wife, not even a gf!--yes, I am lame, thank you), I have no interest, regardless of the cost. Interesting observation: My BIL recently got a 3-series. My sister's basic comment on it: "It's really small". FYI to manufacturers: We're still Americans. Neither I, nor my sister, nor my BIL are fatasses (I'm 5'8" 160 lbs), but I don't do small. I did it already for most of my life and I'm done doing it. Period.