Ford to Build Small Lincoln SUV at Louisville

The Detroit Free Press indicated today that a new, small Lincoln SUV/CUV will be build alongside the new Escape in Louisville:

Detroit Free Press Article

A couple of comments:

1. Good. Although the article mentions the Lexus RX as a key competitor, what I'm really anxious for personally is an Acura RDX from Lincoln.

2. Maybe that's at least part of the reason the Kuga went back to Europe.

1. Good. Although the article mentions the Lexus RX as a key competitor, what I'm really anxious for personally is an Acura RDX from Lincoln.

2. Maybe that's at least part of the reason the Kuga went back to Europe.

1. The MKX is already an RX competitor. This smaller CUV will definitely be more RDX-like than RX-like.

2. Not sure what you're saying there. All indicators are still that the Kuga and Escape will merge.

1. The MKX is already an RX competitor. This smaller CUV will definitely be more RDX-like than RX-like.

2. Not sure what you're saying there. All indicators are still that the Kuga and Escape will merge.

The Kuga was to be built at Louisville for export, but that decision was reversed and Kugas will be produced in Europe.

The Kuga was to be built at Louisville for export, but that decision was reversed and Kugas will be produced in Europe.

I think it mostly boiled down to economics then anything else...exchange rates and maybe the stigma of an American built car for European markets?

The Escape is still going to look like a mini-suv and not like the current Kuga (which isn't bad looking IMO), right? I know a current Escape owner who said that was part of the reason they bought it.

FINALLY!!!!!!

This is great news for Lincoln and their dealers, they badly need this type of product! I know a half-dozen family members that would snatch up a smaller fuel-effecient Lincoln SUV.

I can't wait to see the next round of prototypes, I've been waiting for an ambitious new Escape and Lincoln small CUV for years, possibly their most important high-volume products.

The Lexus RX dominates the small luxury crossover SUV market — 76,465 of the vehicles were sold in the first 10 months of the year, including a newer hybrid version. Far behind but swiftly gaining market share, Acura sold 12,252 of its luxury RDX. BMW has sold just 5,135 of its X3 model this year.

Well, at least it mentions the X3 and RDX further in the article. BTW, apparently the new X3 is nearly identical in size to the first-gen X5. I'm thinking that the forthcoming X1 might be a more natural competitor to the MKEscape and the RDX.

A formal announcement of new Louisville Assembly products is expected early next month, before the plant stops producing the Ford Explorer on Dec. 13.

I wonder if we'll see the "concept" version at LA in a few weeks?

I'm largely concerned that as Lincoln expands the lineup, each vehicle doesn't have enough individuality. Currently each Lincoln looks very destinctive, but the fascia needs to be individualized notcieably for each car IMO.

Edited by BORG

I'm largely concerned that as Lincoln expands the lineup, each vehicle doesn't have enough individuality. Currently each Lincoln looks very destinctive, but the fascia needs to be individualized notcieably for each car IMO.

I agree to a point. I like the idea of the split wing grill. I easily notice them coming down the highway. Lincolns are easy to spot and stand out. I do hope they differentiate them a little, so they do not all look alike. Toned down somewhat (especially for the smaller vehicles), will be ideal.

Has anybody speculated that the Kuga & Escape will look different thus eliminating at least some of the savings of common assembly, in that one set of stamping dies won't do for both products?

I think that RMC and I have both been leaning that way for a while...

I'd further speculate that the first plan for the Lincoln variant shared the Kuga's greenhouse (I doubt that the Kuga and Escape were ever set to merge tophats), but when that plan was axed and replaced with Lincoln-exclusive stampings, it made less and less sense to build the Kugas for export.

Has anybody speculated that the Kuga & Escape will look different thus eliminating at least some of the savings of common assembly, in that one set of stamping dies won't do for both products?

I can't give you any facts, only my speculation.

First, evidently some decisions have been reached as indicated by the leaks. But can all of you imagine how difficult it was to reach the decisions? You have a very good selling Escape based on traditional SUV cues, and it has been selling well despite the fact the platform has been outdated for ....years. The Kuga is much more along the lines of the more "feminine" (at least in my view) CUV's from the Japanese competitors -- CRV particularly. So, if you commonize the design and head toward Kuga, do you pick up some new cusomters but lose more traditional buyers?? If you stay with traditional SUV cues, does your volume eventually wither?

When Ford was talking about building Kuga in Louisville, my thought was that Ford had decided on two tophats. A traditional Escape for NA, and a Kuga for Europe. And if they were both produced in Louisville, you could, with very minor changes, slap a Mercury badge on the front of the Kuga, and Mercury would have a totally unique style. So, one set of stamping dies, one production plant, and it all works.

So when Ford reversed the decision, I assumed it might have something to do with Mercury going away. At that point, it you're going to do a Lincoln, it likely won't look like either a Kuga or an Escape. I actually think the decision to go to Europe would be a poor one "on paper" from an economic standpoint, but there could have been other factors like capacity constraints.

So now Louisville will be producing an Escape and a Lincoln variant, and I think we can safely assume the Lincoln will almost certainly have to have unique sheetmetal. But what we don't know is whether the Kuga and Escape will be the same, just produced in two locations.

Once again, this is just me guessing but not based on any good info.

Edited by Austin

As an Escape owner, I really don't see what all you guys keep saying about Escape owner wanting a "trucky" looking SUV. The Escape styling issue is overblown on this forum in my opinon. Ford would still sell a boat load of Escape if it looked more like Kuga. The blocky look of current Escape is a legacy of Ford's decision to keep the glass portion of the greenhouse during the redesign in order to keep costs down. The "trucky" look = more sales argument doesn't hold much water when you look at how successful Ford has been with Edge. Ford need to modernize the Escape with the redesign and in my opinion, it would be a mistake to make it too butch like Nissan Xterra or Jeep Liberty. The fat end of the small SUV market is the tall wagon end and that's where Escape needs to be.

And if Mulally is true to his words, the Lincoln MKC must have a completely different body.

It is possible that FNA builds more truck like Escape using a new stamp set and then just

imports stamped Kuga panels from Europe for use as Lincoln's smaller production run.

I hope not. The press would tear Lincoln a new one for just being a "rebadged Euro Ford". Lincoln needs to aim higher than that.

Actually, being a Mariner owner, I personally prefer the more traditional styling. I pretty much lost interest when I previously read of the possiblity of a Kuga variant for the new Escape and then Mariner.

Now, with what I'ver read here, perhaps I may again have an interest in the Escape or more likely the Lincoln. So, I hope they don't fit it with Kuga panels.

But, that's just me. :shades:

Actually, being a Mariner owner, I personally prefer the more traditional styling. I pretty much lost interest when I previously read of the possiblity of a Kuga variant for the new Escape and then Mariner.

Now, with what I'ver read here, perhaps I may again have an interest in the Escape or more likely the Lincoln. So, I hope they don't fit it with Kuga panels.

But, that's just me. :shades:

Here's the thing though -- even if the Escape and Kuga turn out to be identical, the Escape isn't going to look like the current Kuga.

Here's the thing though -- even if the Escape and Kuga turn out to be identical, the Escape isn't going to look like the current Kuga.

That's true. Okay, let me revise my statement.

When I saw the jellybean like design of the current Kuga, I lost interest.

As long as the new versions don't look like a jellybean, I may again be interested. :hysterical:

But see? I'm kinda on the fence with the new front end of the "World" Focus, too. So, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

So, Nick! If you get the Edge, you keeping the Cobra?

I can't get anything else right now since I have no additional funds nor the parking space in front of my house. :finger:

Edited by exrub

That's true. Okay, let me revise my statement.

When I saw the jellybean like design of the current Kuga, I lost interest.

As long as the new versions don't look like a jellybean, I may again be interested. :hysterical:

But see? I'm kinda on the fence with the new front end of the "World" Focus, too. So, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I get where you're coming from. I think in either case, the Escape is going to get a little rounder.

So, Nick! If you get the Edge, you keeping the Cobra?

Oh definitely. The Edge will be a replacement for the Mazda6.

Phtochop I did Aug 25 09

MKC over a C MAX essentially

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34594-mkcx/

Interesting take. I'm hoping that Lincoln evolves the front end a bit more dramatically though over the current crop of designs which are all starting to look a bit "me too". The overall theme has potential, and it works on some vehicles like the MKX really well, but I think it needs to move forward.