Ford to Build Small Lincoln SUV at Louisville

^ last minute offtopic

PREMiERdrum, have they looked into using TransitConnects?

(tho would think the nextgen drivetrain(s) would be needed probably)

We've discussed it... we depend on an upfitter like Frontline Communications, Wolf Coach, etc... to make the necessary changes to the vehicle before we install our equipment. I know Frontline has been doing work with the Transit Connect and we should see truck on the road within the next 2 years.

TransitConnect seems a little small for that type of work, are you sure it would be big enough to have all your equipment and handle the weight? Or would it be for small, local stuff?

Also, it's pretty cool to see an original superduty on the road and working still. Is it a diesel? IDI or powerstroke? Or gas - 351W (5.8) or 460 (7.5)? :) Nice rigs all the way around Mr. Drum.

Edit- Oh, nevermind, I just saw the Escape. I guess the TC would be a replacement for the work that vehicle does. Wonder how well the EV version would work for that? (I'm thinking the equipment would use up the batteries so quick you would only be able to drive around the block :hysterical: )

Edited by Captainp4

TransitConnect seems a little small for that type of work, are you sure it would be big enough to have all your equipment and handle the weight? Or would it be for small, local stuff?

Also, it's pretty cool to see an original superduty on the road and working still. Is it a diesel? IDI or powerstroke? Or gas - 351W (5.8) or 460 (7.5)? :) Nice rigs all the way around Mr. Drum.

The TC will likely see use as a hybrid DNG (Digital News gathering) and WiFi Truck... short mast, small dish, and mobile hotspot. The height inside would allow full racks and a decent workspace. The potential is there.

Our SD's are 5.8's... still ticking well over 200k miles.

Actually, one of the SD's (our 1997 model I showed in the pic) was just bumped on the replacement list by one of our Sprinters (a 2003). They just aren't happy with the durability of the Sprinters thus far, and their handling in the snow leaves a lot to be desired compared to the SD's. The vehicle coming out of service when the Escape Hybrid comes in will be the 1996 SuperDuty with over 230k on the clock. After that, the Econoline comes out, then the '03 Sprinter, then the '97 SD.

My favorite rig in our fleet?

thumb_chopper10.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Do they let you fly it? :shades:

I've had the stick (in the co-pilot's seat) exactly one time, and that's because I bugged our pilot until he let me. Typically, I'm in that seat to operate our gyroscope-controlled HD camera mounted on the nose. All of our videographers and assignment editors (that's me) are trained on the Chopper, and I'd say I'm up at least once a week. It's an awesome experience, and a gorgeous bird.

I am being a little harsh on the Escape/Mariner, it's an unbeatable value if you stay in the sub $26,000 range. My Mother has a Mariner VOGA, top of the line and it's a very impressive car at $33K. Because it's so lightweight and short, it's VERY tossable and nimble compared to the Edge/MKX, however the suspension doesn't let you get away with as much because it hops around like a classic SUV. I really like that you can open the rear glass, but I don't like the dangling cables and exposed hinges in the rear-view. The car has excellent NVH characteristics, it's luxury car quiet and fairly smooth (but firm) with an excellent power train, surprising if you let its age and look fool you into believing it's not a refined product.

I suppose what I want to see is an Escape that matches the new Focus in terms of its quality (maybe not design, meh), and I'm sure we will see that and more.

Edited by BORG

The TC will likely see use as a hybrid DNG (Digital News gathering) and WiFi Truck... short mast, small dish, and mobile hotspot. The height inside would allow full racks and a decent workspace. The potential is there.

Our SD's are 5.8's... still ticking well over 200k miles.

Actually, one of the SD's (our 1997 model I showed in the pic) was just bumped on the replacement list by one of our Sprinters (a 2003). They just aren't happy with the durability of the Sprinters thus far, and their handling in the snow leaves a lot to be desired compared to the SD's. The vehicle coming out of service when the Escape Hybrid comes in will be the 1996 SuperDuty with over 230k on the clock. After that, the Econoline comes out, then the '03 Sprinter, then the '97 SD.

My favorite rig in our fleet?

thumb_chopper10.jpg

I wonder if an E-Series Box DRW (Ambulance style) would solve the space issues and still work in the snow. I have a client who is a paramedic. His squad went to the Sprinter 2 years ago and they hate it.

I think it mostly boiled down to economics then anything else...exchange rates and maybe the stigma of an American built car for European markets?

The Escape is still going to look like a mini-suv and not like the current Kuga (which isn't bad looking IMO), right? I know a current Escape owner who said that was part of the reason they bought it.

i think it was simple issue of capacity, the EU looks to have too much and the NA has too little.

"Flexible robotic equipment to come in Louisville Assembly's body shop will exceed technology even at Michigan Assembly, Tetreault said.

“We are going to transform the Explorer plant into the most high tech, small car plant in the world,” he added in remarks to the Kentucky Association of Manufacturers at their annual meeting. “Once that transformation is complete, the Louisville Assembly Plant … will afford flexibility like we have not had anywhere else in the world"

I could see this being a slow launch. I hope they will be able to work the bugs out without too much grief.

I could see this being a slow launch. I hope they will be able to work the bugs out without too much grief.

I think that isn't going to be too big an issue, MAP has been building Focus mules for a couple months and they tool up for full production in the next month or so?

The current Escape will prob be built into next Summer and the new one will be a Fall Launch?

I hope they start toning-down the size of the grill on upcoming products.

I'm trying to imagine an Escape-sized CUV from Lincoln with that massive grill and it ain't working right now.....

While I agree that the "bow wave" grille looks garish in some applications (*cough-cough* MKT)....other applications actually look good, ala MKZ

Edited by twintornados

I think that isn't going to be too big an issue, MAP has been building Focus mules for a couple months and they tool up for full production in the next month or so?

The current Escape will prob be built into next Summer and the new one will be a Fall Launch?

No way. LAP will not even complete retooling until least end of 2011. So that means no new Escape at dealers until least spring of 2012 at the earliest. The present Escape will have to soldier on against increased, intense competition for another 18 months at least. I see rebates ratcheting up on Escape over coming months to keep its sales volume up. As of last week, WAP was still buidling present Focus and MAP parking lots are all torn up and under construction.

No way. LAP will not even complete retooling until least end of 2011. So that means no new Escape at dealers until least spring of 2012 at the earliest. The present Escape will have to soldier on against increased, intense competition for another 18 months at least. I see rebates ratcheting up on Escape over coming months to keep its sales volume up. As of last week, WAP was still buidling present Focus and MAP parking lots are all torn up and under construction.

Some of what you see at MAP maybe 2 fold....Ford is still negotiating a local agreement at MAP (south) and I wouldn't be surprised if production doesn't transfer completely until mid January assuming local agreement is reached. Things get sluggish in US plants January holidays and all

Actually, being a Mariner owner, I personally prefer the more traditional styling. I pretty much lost interest when I previously read of the possiblity of a Kuga variant for the new Escape and then Mariner.

Now, with what I'ver read here, perhaps I may again have an interest in the Escape or more likely the Lincoln. So, I hope they don't fit it with Kuga panels.

But, that's just me. :shades:

It'll probably be a Licolnized Mariner.