Camaro Outpaces Mustang In Pony War

What I'm trying to say is that I am concerned by companies like Hyundai who are moving more aggresively than Ford and are quickly outflanking them. When I see Ford with the eldest chasis and bodies sitting in the segment, I can't help but be concerned that there is no way for them to catch up.

The Camry's chassis is far older than any of the other mainstream midsizers and it still outsells everyone else. Calling the Fusion outdated is ridiculous. Its sales clearly demonstrate just how competitive the average shopper thinks it is.

the only thing that bugs me is that the door panels aren't soft touch on the mustang or edge. though the new explorer has soft touch doors.

Eh, I've noticed it in my Edge. Is it an issue? Not at all. With the high door sills on the Edge (and the Mustang) the door material is pretty irrelevant. The parts you actually ever touch like the grab handles and arm rests are all soft touch.

• Like 1

The Camry's chassis is far older than any of the other mainstream midsizers and it still outsells everyone else. Calling the Fusion outdated is ridiculous. Its sales clearly demonstrate just how competitive the average shopper thinks it is.

It's outsold by Malibu, Altima, Camry, Accord, and Sonata. It's hardly a stellar performer.

It's outsold by Malibu, Altima, Camry, Accord, and Sonata. It's hardly a stellar performer.

Sonata, Malibu, Altima, and Fusion have been trading places month-to-month for the past year or so. The only two that consistently outsell the Fusion are Camry and Accord, both of which are two of the older vehicles in the segment as well.

The Malibu is a fleet queen. On every trip I've made this year, the rental car lots were full of Malibus by ratio of at least 10:1. Threre's also a growing number Camry's and Sonata's on the losts too. However, Fusions are hard to find (I know because I look for one every time I go on a trip). The one car I never see on rental lots is the Accord.

Sonata, Malibu, Altima, and Fusion have been trading places month-to-month for the past year or so. The only two that consistently outsell the Fusion are Camry and Accord, both of which are two of the older vehicles in the segment as well.

The Malibu is a fleet queen. On every trip I've made this year, the rental car lots were full of Malibus by ratio of at least 10:1. Threre's also a growing number Camry's and Sonata's on the losts too. However, Fusions are hard to find (I know because I look for one every time I go on a trip). The one car I never see on rental lots is the Accord.

In October, Malibu took a dip all the way down to 12k sales, compared to around 17k for the Sonata and Fusion. A 5-6k dip in sales doesn't happen for no reason.

Eh, I've noticed it in my Edge. Is it an issue? Not at all. With the high door sills on the Edge (and the Mustang) the door material is pretty irrelevant. The parts you actually ever touch like the grab handles and arm rests are all soft touch.

I'm very surprised (and disappointed) to hear the the inside door panel is hard plastic on the 2011 Edge.

The door on the 2011 Fusion is soft from the arm rest up. My 2005 F-350 door panel is hard.

Wonder what is the criteria is that determines hard or soft material on the inside door panel?

I'm very surprised (and disappointed) to hear the the inside door panel is hard plastic on the 2011 Edge.

The door on the 2011 Fusion is soft from the arm rest up. My 2005 F-350 door panel is hard.

Wonder what is the criteria is that determines hard or soft material on the inside door panel?

Yet more reason to spring for the MKX, a soft window sill ;)

The Edge/MKX have the best window armrest in the biz, you can use it with or without the window open, nice and spacious! Love those chunky doors.

Yet more reason to spring for the MKX, a soft window sill ;)

The Edge/MKX have the best window armrest in the biz, you can use it with or without the window open, nice and spacious! Love those chunky doors.

I really don't see the big deal. I find the sill to be too high to use as an arm rest. The actual arm rest is nice and soft. :D

For consumers like me, or anybody young(ish) and willing to spend big bucks on a car, design is EXTREMELY important.

A general truth is no justification for your value judgment vis a vis the quality of Ford's design. The dramatically increased consideration of Ford products among people in our age group suggests that Ford is doing the right things, regardless of your OPINION of their design decisions.

A general truth is no justification for your value judgment vis a vis the quality of Ford's design. The dramatically increased consideration of Ford products among people in our age group suggests that Ford is doing the right things, regardless of your OPINION of their design decisions.

Would I (someone in that key demographic) have considered a Ford vehicle 4-5 years ago? Nope, or I would likely have bought one instead of my Mazda6. The only models I really liked were the Mustang, but I already owned one of those, and the F-series, which I had no use for at all. Would I consider one now? Obviously. Was much of it because of the design of the vehicle? Absoluuuuuuuuuutely! :yup:

Edited by NickF1011

I really don't see the big deal. I find the sill to be too high to use as an arm rest. The actual arm rest is nice and soft. :D

I'm rather tallish 6'3" (one of the main reasons I stuck with an MKX) so it perfect for me :)

They are doing some right things, but not as many as they could be. That's all I'm saying. And certainly I'm placing a value judgement on design but I think it's critical to the long-term success in a increasingly competitive envrionment, the next two years are going to be much tougher for Ford as they now take the lead (chiefly GM and Hyundai).

Edited by BORG

Ford made a value judgment not to sell high volume profit like Camry, they instead ask for

a higher average price and are getting it from buyers. More profit from fewer car sales.

Borg, don't ever consider yourself to be an average Fusion buyer or representative of that group,

those buyers are nowhere as particular as you, a person who seems barely satisfied with a Lincoln.

Ford products are continually improving, the fact that they're not improving quickly enough for you

is disappointing but considering where Ford was four years ago, I'd say they're doing OK.

Edited by jpd80

Oh good grief, Borg, you'll be able to say that from now until the end of time. It's a meaningless comment. "You could do better" is the dumbest bit of advice and the shallowest form of criticism this side of "I don't like it."

yeaah, but wouldnt ya love to go Wine Tasting with him....LMAO!

No. I don't 'taste' wine. I drink it. And I prefer whiskey to wine. I don't 'get' wine, and I have a pretty thin opinion of those who gush over this or that vintage or vintner or vineyard.

Love a good glass of vino, but definitely not a snob, just drink what i like, and Ive had some cheapos that I prefered over so called Preemos.....but good steak and a glass of red...GOOD STUFF!

No. I don't 'taste' wine. I drink it. And I prefer whiskey to wine. I don't 'get' wine, and I have a pretty thin opinion of those who gush over this or that vintage or vintner or vineyard.

Oddly enough, I just saw a similar post over at the wine enthusiast forum I'm on...

No. I don't 'enjoy' cars. I drink them. And I prefer bikes to cars. I don't 'get' cars, and I have a pretty thin opinion of those who gush over this or that make or model or engine.

:shades:

They are doing some right things, but not as many as they could be. That's all I'm saying. And certainly I'm placing a value judgement on design but I think it's critical to the long-term success in a increasingly competitive envrionment

So why didn't you buy something else? "You can do better" is meaningless. Even the class leader in any segment can technically "do better"...so it's irrelevant. And frankly, your harping on "design" means nothing to me at all, since you ACTUALLY bought the damn vehicle. Seems like design isn't so important to you, after all.

The only difference between you and SevensecondSUV (who has equally misplaced demands on what Ford should be doing to make itself successful), is he holds true to his beliefs and simply doesn't buy a Ford.