Ford at 2011 NAIAS

What does everyone expect Ford to show us at the 2011 NAIAS? Is there any chance we might see something that represents Lincoln's new design direction (if there is one)? I would doubt seeing a Lincoln only because Ford just hired the guy from Cadillac.

What should we reasonably expect to see?

EDIT:

12.8.2010: Per Automotive News, Ford will show a "near production concept" of the Escape/Kuga at the show. The article mentions that the writer still doesn't know if both names will be retained, or one name will be used. No mention of the Lincoln version.

Edited by Harley Lover

I would think that we would see the North American version of the Grand C-Max. We could also see the MKS upgrade. I also wouldn't be surprised to see debuts or "concept previews" of the upcoming Escape or Fusion. We could also see a concept each for Ford and Lincoln.

What does everyone expect Ford to show us at the 2011 NAIAS? Is there any chance we might see something that represents Lincoln's new design direction (if there is one)? I would doubt seeing a Lincoln only because Ford just hired the guy from Cadillac.

What should we reasonably expect to see?

I would think it's about time to show the Focus BEV in its final form with full technical and production details. I'm getting pretty damn tired of the press ignoring this car and now that the Leaf and Volt are out and some of the fever has died down, it's time for Ford to hype the Focus.

The car I most want to see is the next Escape and Lincoln variant. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the new Escape and the Lincoln small car.

Too soon for Escape I think; Louisville won't go down for conversion until the end of the year. So with Job #1 in 2012, I would think the Jan 2012 NAIAS would be more logical. Or since it will have both Gen 3 HEV/PHEV, maybe LA.

I'm actually really interested in the 2.0LEB Edge and expect to see that and the Explorer version at Detroit. Some family are going to be in the market for a new car and a 2.0L Edge fits the bill. I'd also like to see an MKX Sport, or something along those lines.

Is it too soon for the global Mustang/Falcon platform show? I also thought I had read Ford was going to try the Falcon as a Lincoln for the N/A market?

Am I too hopeful or just making stuff up?

I'd say it's probably too early for anything like that. Also, I believe any RWD Lincoln would be part of that new Mustang/Falcon global platform/architecture as well. If by your statement you meant a rebadge of the Falcon coming as a Lincoln, I do not see that happening either LOL.

I would think it's about time to show the Focus BEV in its final form with full technical and production details. I'm getting pretty damn tired of the press ignoring this car and now that the Leaf and Volt are out and some of the fever has died down, it's time for Ford to hype the Focus.

I agree 100%! Also wondering about the plug-in hybrid we've been hearing will follow this Focus for so long.

Detroit auto show: Ford to unveil Escape/Kuga concept

AutoWeek

Ford Motor Co. will unveil a near production concept of an SUV in January to replace the Ford Escape in North America and the Ford Kuga in Europe, a Ford source told Automotive News Europe.

The vehicle will go into production in the second half of 2012 and be sold as a 2013 model in the United States, the source said.

Ford has not decided whether the Kuga and Escape will keep their names or share a common badge when the new-generation SUVs arrive. The U.S. automaker's One Ford strategy calls for a single name for vehicles sold in different regions, such as the Fiesta and Focus.

It's likely that Ford of Europe's Saarlouis, Germany, plant will lose production of the Kuga to one of Ford's U.S. plants. The front-runner for the job is Ford's factory in Louisville, Ky. Ford currently builds the Escape, including a hybrid variant, in Kansas City, Mo.

The Saarlouis plant will be the single source for production of the redesigned Focus in western Europe, producing all three body styles--a four-door, five-door and station wagon.

More at link.

Showing it 18 months before sales start? Yikes. I thought they had gotten away from that.

Yes, it's apparently a concept, not the production model. Of course, under Mulally, that means we'll basically be seeing the production model for the most part, though.

Does the one Ford strategy really call for this?

AFAIK, no. One Ford exists to eliminate redundant vehicles in the global portfolio, but not necessarily different names. I haven't seen anything hinting at the next Fusion will be called Mondeo, so I don't know why they wouldn't continue with the Escape nameplate. Especially after Alan's disdain for the decision to kill the Taurus nameplate.

Yes, it's apparently a concept, not the production model. Of course, under Mulally, that means we'll basically be seeing the production model for the most part, though.

So a thinly-veiled production model, called a "concept," but still showing the competition which direction they're headed 18 months before the fact . What happened to playing it close to the vest?