Chevelle

ford4v429

If Chevrolet DID do a new Chevelle, I would imagine that it would probably be a 4-door sport sedan on the long-wheelbase variant of Zeta, with relatively short overhangs.

Really, there is no room in GM's lineup for another sub-$30K sports coupe, a vehicle type that has seen its fan base shrink to nothing.

I know some people are going to hate me for this, but, despite the fact that the Charger name was simply slapped onto the 4-door sedan that was coming regardless, I think Chrysler may have inadvertently made the right move-- let's not forget that the days of the 2-door Charger also saw things like 2-door wagons and 2-door sedans-- 4 doors were only ALMOST COMMON then-- they're practically UBIQUITOUS, even EXPECTED now. The current 4-door "Sport Sedan" segment IS what the large 2-door muscle car WAS.

So, time to fix up the Zeta manufacturing equipment that is probably starting to rust after the departure of the Pontiac G8, revise the interior, and give it some cool sheetmetal that can conjure just a few flashbacks of Chevelles past, and GM may finally have one cool car in its lineup!

• Like 1

My apologies, because I have already mentioned this......Chevelle is my favorite Chevy name. This is because the '64-'65 was really perfect. They size, weight to power ratio and everything else. The convertibles were very neatly done as were the 2-door wagons. And I too want to know what the new Chevelle will be. What's wrong with resurrecting an old name from a previous model? Bronco is surley a winner, on the right model. And on and on.

My apologies, because I have already mentioned this......Chevelle is my favorite Chevy name. This is because the '64-'65 was really perfect. They size, weight to power ratio and everything else. The convertibles were very neatly done as were the 2-door wagons. And I too want to know what the new Chevelle will be. What's wrong with resurrecting an old name from a previous model? Bronco is surley a winner, on the right model. And on and on.

An interesting fact about the '64 Chevelle is that they used the '55 Bel Air specs for the layout. The Chevelle is the same size with the exception of height. Cars had grown so much in 9 years that the '55 was now an intermediate.

Chevelle meant a smaller Chevrolet, and was the whole line. Some car fans, too young to remember, assume ALL Chevelles were 'muscle cars', but it was just the SS versions. Average Chevelle of the time had a 307 or 350 with 2 bbl carb, and maybe 4 doors, nothing like a GTO, etc.

And, while a common Chevelle can be modded into a powerful car, then it would be a "Hot Rod", "Street Machine" "Show Car" or "Drag Car", not a factory muscle car.

Chevelle meant a smaller Chevrolet, and was the whole line. Some car fans, too young to remember, assume ALL Chevelles were 'muscle cars', but it was just the SS versions. Average Chevelle of the time had a 307 or 350 with 2 bbl carb, and maybe 4 doors, nothing like a GTO, etc.

And, while a common Chevelle can be modded into a powerful car, then it would be a "Hot Rod", "Street Machine" "Show Car" or "Drag Car", not a factory muscle car.

Lots of the standard Chevelles (non Malibu) were 6 cylinders. Most Malibus were better equipped and most likely had V-8s from 283 to 350.

The proliferation of models and sizes between 1960 and 1964 was huge. In '60 Chevy had three car lines; the Full Size Impala-Bel Air and Biscayne, Corvair and Corvette and Ford had three car lines; the Full Size Galaxie-Fairlane, Falcon and T-Bird.

By 1964 Chevy had Full Size, Chevelle, Nova, Corvair and Corvette the first 4 available in several body styles and the Vette in 2.

Ford had Full Size, Fairlane intermediate, Falcon, Mustang and T-Bird the first 3 available in several body styles with Mustang in 2 soon to be 3 and T-Bird in 2.

If Chevy were smart, and I do mean IF, the G8 would've become the new Chevelle and it would've been built along side the Camaro sharing its drivetrains. The LWB zeta-based Caprice would be offered as a civillan model, too. But...they aren't. Instead, we get the decades old Impala while many parts of the world get the V8 powered zetas. Pitiful leadership with no vision at GM.

Edited by T'Cal

One way to tell if any new name is coming is to see if it's registered for Trademark. Just as the recent listing of Cuda for Chrysler.

So far, I have not seen any official reports about any return of Chevelle. This has been speculated for 10 years.

well, if they are making wheels for a chevelle, I kinda think the car IS coming also. theyre big wheels, gotta be rwd, heard Zeta chassis:)

I'd rather see GM just offer a civilian Caprice sedan, since it is already classed as full size. Chevelle was a mid sized car, never the top of the line flagship. Let it be in history books with Nova and BelAir.

They already have Camaro and Corvette, so no need for another RWD 2 door.