Explorer vs. Durango Comparo

Good read, have to admit the Durango is a looker and I'm surprised to find out it's more spacious and the 3rd row is easier to access. But the Explorer is still the SUV I would want as long as it's decked out in the right trim and colors (don't like that silver grille!). The Durango also appears too long and low, resembling a wagon more than an SUV...if I were to buy a Chrysler SUV I would much rather have the GC...but i don't need those rear seats.

Edited by BORG

It's obvious that while both vehicles have an overlapping audience, they still appeal to slightly different buyers.

Good news to both companies because less direct competition means more choice for buyers and higher prices.

I hope both sell at 10,000/month, they're both good products but I prefer the Ford.

Would love to see an Explorer EL on Flex's 117.9" wheelbase, no squealing about third row seating then..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

But the Explorer is still the SUV I would want as long as it's decked out in the right trim and colors (don't like that silver grille!).

I dunno I don't care for the body colored grill on the Limited models, but then again I haven't seen one in person either..so for now I like the Silver/ or Grey grill on it

The Durango looks like a minivan from the back.

Yeah I'd take the Durango front end and the Explorer everything else... the Explorer front end just hasn't grown on me, although it is a bit better in person than in photos. And I guess it contributes to improved aerodynamics too.

I wonder if Ford will widen the offerings and throw the Ecoboost 3.5L in there eventually. I'd definitely take the EB 2.0L over that, but it'd be cool if Ford did offer such a wide spectrum of powertrains, from the most fuel efficient to something that's competitive power-wise with the V8 offerings in that segment (but probably a bit more efficient than them too!)

seriously, that site is full of Chrysler fanboys, just look at ANY JD Power and Consumer Reports surveys of the past 5 years to see that Ford's are more reliable than Chryslers, it's pretty straight forward. And just like MPG discussions, you've got a guy going "in MY experience, Dodge is MORE reliable!" - that's the whole point of a SURVEY! (or standardized test cycles in the MPG discussion). Yes, YMMV, but the point is to evaluate the situation as a whole to give people an idea of what they are likely to expect!

Kind of sad that here it is 2011 and the latest CUV's from Ford and Dodge get 18 and 23mpg tops in AWD form. Both these vehicles will be sales busts if gas races to $4/gallon and up. Bring on the Focus station wagon and new Escape SUV that gets over 30mpg highway and 40mpg highway for Focus wagon. Ford doesn't need anymore gas guzzlers like new Explorer and other Flex like vehicles. I'm sorry, I don't find new F-150 4WD numbers of 20mpg highway and 23mpg for AWD Explorer impressive. Sad. Get the fricking weight out of these vehicles. Talk about fluffy.

Kind of sad that here it is 2011 and the latest CUV's from Ford and Dodge get 18 and 23mpg tops in AWD form. Both these vehicles will be sales busts if gas races to $4/gallon and up. Bring on the Focus station wagon and new Escape SUV that gets over 30mpg highway and 40mpg highway for Focus wagon. Ford doesn't need anymore gas guzzlers like new Explorer and other Flex like vehicles. I'm sorry, I don't find new F-150 4WD numbers of 20mpg highway and 23mpg for AWD Explorer impressive. Sad. Get the fricking weight out of these vehicles. Talk about fluffy.

Yeah, that EB 4cyl in the Explorer will be nothing but dead weight when oil spikes. At least they had the good sense not to stuff a V8 in it. :finger:

Unrealistic much?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Ford won't make what I want. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

$4 gas. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Here's a tip, Ford Buyer: Price the cost of day care for a family with 3 kids, and then estimate the money the family is going to spend on gas.

I'll give you a hint: They're not even *close*.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1