Explorer vs. Durango Comparo

What do you suggest they do to make them lighter?

The choices are:

a> Reduce content and capability at the risk of losing customers to competitors who still offer that content and capability.

b> Use more expensive lightweight materials at the risk of losing customers to competitors who now undercut you on price.

This "250 lbs" you are throwing out is as ridiculous as your "2000/units a month" argument. They are both entirely arbitrary numbers, pulled out of thin air and having absolutely no meaning or substantiation.

Uh Nick, last time Ford talked about reducing weight of its vehicles, it talked about the "250 lb." average with of course F-Series losing the most weight and smaller vehicles losing the least. With new CAFE rules coming up quickly, everyone will have to reduce weight and make smaller engines. Porsche just announced that its flat 6 will be replaced with 4 cylinder in not too distance future. It's called peak oil and the new REALITY. In 10 years, your Edge will be a bloated whale.

Then why did small car sales surge last time gas prices spiked, and SUV used car prices and sales plunged along with pickup sales? And this summer or next when fuel prices even spike more, and most consumers hurting even more this round with much more unemployment and marginalized by last fallout. Back at the depths of this recession we are still in, Ford was hardly selling an F-Series Super Duty. That will happen again when and if gas spikes over $4/gallon. So it must affect someone even though you Nick are still trying to figure out how many gallons your Edge holds and write down how much you spent in gas for December to the penny. When I had company car for years, I had to keep fuel receipts and got into the habit and saw first hand how much it costs to run a vehicle/month and year. It's much more than many drivers realize, as many like to toss dollars out the windows as they drive and then wonder why they have no money at end of month. Btw, your Edge has a 19 gallon tank which is about as close as you can get to 20 gallons.

Fuel prices will mostly affect people who are already in the market for a new vehicle. It's not going to make a large segment of the population trade in their vehicles if they weren't already planning on it though. Those who did do that were not acting on sound economic principles. Did some people do it? Sure. Did it make good fiscal sense for them? Probably not.

If people were abandoning their gas guzzlers at breakneck speed the last time fuel prices spiked, vehicle sales would have increased dramatically, as not only would sales of people already in the market be reflected, but also the additional sales of all the people who just recently purchased a "guzzler" and dedided to give them up for something more efficient -- that didn't happen.

Counting what I spent on gas to the penny? You make it sound like it was actually work. All it took was glancing at my credit card statement online. :shrug: Yes, I buy almost everything on credit. I'll wait for my lecture on that next.

As for big guzzlers, even during the lowest of lows, the Super Duty was probably still outselling Mitsubishi's entire lineup.

And well, the closest you can get to a 20 gallon tank is a 20 gallon tank. :P

So a FWD only SUV/CUV/Taurus weighs only 3300 lbs. like my Taurus or 2800 pounds like the Boxster? Again, the vehicles mentioned are too fat. They need to go on a diet like Ford has stated but so far has not started yet. Ford has done pretty well with its cars except for Taurus that is too fat. Its CUV/SUV's are way too fat and Chrysler is even worse. I imagine most manufacturers need to get the weight out. At least 250 pounds on average. Many reviewers have complained about the weight of the Edge, Flex, F-150, and Explorer especially. Sure doesn't help braking distance either.

I agree that weight has become a factor....but bringing the bosxter into the comparison foray is completely mis-leading...ever driven a family of four with their luggage, on a vaction in the boxster?,,,and the 2002 Taurus would pass diddly if it was tested to todays standards in safety, emissions etc etc....

Dear FordBuyer... Do you weight more than 110lbs? I'd bet you do. This sort of weight is simply unacceptable in 2011. With the price of food expected to rise dramatically over the next few years, you really need to get yourself down to the 90-to-100lb ballpark. Heck, my 11 month old daughter only weighs 19lbs. She's ready for the increase.

The Olsen Twins are way ahead of the curve here.

olsen-twins-picture-1.jpg

2011 Boxster weight 2943 manual, 3009 auto.....hmmmm, a SPECIALIZED low production SPORTS coupe that windows for $$$$$ being used as a basis of comparison with a 4 door FAMILY sedan with teunk it could probably fit in....but can it tow?......sorry fordbuyer say hello to Manny on this one, he also resides in left field....d

2011 Boxster weight 2943 manual, 3009 auto.....hmmmm, a SPECIALIZED low production SPORTS coupe that windows for $$$$$ being used as a basis of comparison with a 4 door FAMILY sedan with teunk it could probably fit in....but can it tow?......sorry fordbuyer say hello to Manny on this one, he also resides in left field....d

My 2002 Boxster has a curb weight of 2,778 lbs. and it has side airbags, ESC, and manual trans and 17 gallon tank. Btw, I did Nick's homework and 2011 Edge has 18 gallon tank in FWD form and 19 gallon tank in AWD form which I believe. Nich has. So Nick, your Edge holds up to 19 gallons. And Dean, if you didn't know this as dealer, you know it now and can help a customer out inquiring about an Edge. As for credibility, the number was on Ford's PDF spec sheet for 2011 Edge. Oh, and the Boxster has two trunks and more storage area behind the seats. One Boxster owner in the SE MI Porsche club took his wife and himself on 6,000 mile trip to CA and back and campedt out for the two weeks and everything fit into the Boxster no problem. Try that Dean with your Fiesta?

2011 Boxster:

Weighs 3000lbs. Holds 2 people.

Weight per person: 1500lbs.

2011 Explorer:

Weighs 4700lbs. Holds 7 people.

Weight per person: 214lbs.

2011 Boxster-- Cost per person per mile @ 2 people occupancy:

22MPG combined = $.09 per person per mile.

2011 Explorer-- Cost per person per mile @ 4 people occupancy:

20MPG combined = $.05 per person per mile.

Dear FordBuyer... Do you weight more than 110lbs? I'd bet you do. This sort of weight is simply unacceptable in 2011. With the price of food expected to rise dramatically over the next few years, you really need to get yourself down to the 90-to-100lb ballpark. Heck, my 11 month old daughter only weighs 19lbs. She's ready for the increase.

The Olsen Twins are way ahead of the curve here.

olsen-twins-picture-1.jpg

I'm 6 feet even (actually 5'11" inches now due to compressed spine caused by older age) and have to put the seat all the way back on my Taurus which RJ gets all riled up over. And I weigh 185 pounds, about 15 pounds too heavy for my frame, and still don't fit very well in back seat of 2012 Focus as far as my leg room goes. I fit well in the back seat of my Taurus, front and only seat of my Boxster, and have enough leg room in back of Fusion. And I hate sitting on the narrow seats of Stow and Go Town and Country minivan. It's sure torture.

My 2002 Boxster has a curb weight of 2,778 lbs. and it has side airbags, ESC, and manual trans and 17 gallon tank. Btw, I did Nick's homework and 2011 Edge has 18 gallon tank in FWD form and 19 gallon tank in AWD form which I believe. Nich has. So Nick, your Edge holds up to 19 gallons. And Dean, if you didn't know this as dealer, you know it now and can help a customer out inquiring about an Edge. As for credibility, the number was on Ford's PDF spec sheet for 2011 Edge. Oh, and the Boxster has two trunks and more storage area behind the seats. One Boxster owner in the SE MI Porsche club took his wife and himself on 6,000 mile trip to CA and back and campedt out for the two weeks and everything fit into the Boxster no problem. Try that Dean with your Fiesta?

bet I could fit more stuff in the Fiesta than a box of Sees candies and a Gucci overnight bag....ahem... ...AND get 40 plus mpgs...does that make the Boxster fat and inefficient?....and seriously, you NEED to get off of comparing a vehicle that is 9 years old to ANY vehicl of 2011, standards , believe it or not have changed....I would even go so far as your year Boxster wouldnt fare well in todays testing environment....

Edited by Deanh

Camped out in a Boxster? Certainly did not drive it off road. Could not have taken anything heavy duty....would have overloaded the car something fierce. Edge can hold five people. Boxster 2. Oh yeah and what about costs of ownership. I think the parts on a Porsche are a might bit more expensive.

So now the Fiesta is evil too....change your name to FordHater. The GM blog is a mouse click away.

My 2002 Boxster has a curb weight of 2,778 lbs. and it has side airbags, ESC, and manual trans and 17 gallon tank. Btw, I did Nick's homework and 2011 Edge has 18 gallon tank in FWD form and 19 gallon tank in AWD form which I believe. Nich has. So Nick, your Edge holds up to 19 gallons. And Dean, if you didn't know this as dealer, you know it now and can help a customer out inquiring about an Edge. As for credibility, the number was on Ford's PDF spec sheet for 2011 Edge.

Good to know. Now I know I'm in no danger of burning out my fuel pump when I repeatedly fill it with 3 gallons still left in the tank. :rolleyes:

You've still yet to answer: How would you go about lowering the weight in vehicles? You said my Edge would be a bloated whale in 10 years. How is that going to come about? Your ideas? Obviously you must have some to think such a thing. No?

Good to know. Now I know I'm in no danger of burning out my fuel pump when I repeatedly fill it with 3 gallons still left in the tank. :rolleyes:

You've still yet to answer: How would you go about lowering the weight in vehicles? You said my Edge would be a bloated whale in 10 years. How is that going to come about? Your ideas? Obviously you must have some to think such a thing. No?

Nick...search the Ford press release archives as they already stated what they are going to do. It should be about 8-12 months ago. Ford talked about the composite tailgate on the MKT that saved about 30 pounds and stated they would do more of that as they redesign vehicles. Composite hoods, lighter weight boron steel, composite suspension parts and so on. Ford said they don't have a choice but to do so with CAFE rules staring them in the face. I would imagine that strategy is gaining speed with gas prices rising so quickly this winter which is unusual.

Camped out in a Boxster? Certainly did not drive it off road. Could not have taken anything heavy duty....would have overloaded the car something fierce. Edge can hold five people. Boxster 2. Oh yeah and what about costs of ownership. I think the parts on a Porsche are a might bit more expensive.

So now the Fiesta is evil too....change your name to FordHater. The GM blog is a mouse click away.

Uh, I drive a Ford and grew up in a Ford family as my father spent a career with them. My next all around vehicle will be a Ford. I was leaning to a new Focus until I sat in the back seat. I'm hoping Ford will do a Focus station wagon and get a couple extra inches back there. If not, then I will wait for next Fusion and shoot for the hybrid if it comes with folding rear seats. As has been stated, the Fusion is the new Taurus and fits in better with the times. Ford gets my transportation money and Porsche my fun money.

Who cares how big the gas tank is? The size of the gas tank is one of the last things that I think about when purchasing a car. I don't know the size of the gas tank in any of my cars, granted I probably could assume from this thread that the old Sable has a 18 gallon tank.

Oh and It would be a lot easier to camp out of a Fiesta than a Boxster and there is no denying that.