Turbocharged Mustang confirmed by Bill Ford Jr.

I just dont see the market...right now the 6 cyl is PERFECTLY adequate, why take a un-necessary step backwards, in this segment image is everything

Who said the 3.7 would go away? I didnt' say that. If it's perfectly adequate in your eyes, then check that box on the order sheet.

If people want better fuel economy than the 3.7 with very little hit to performance (and still far better performance than most previous Mustangs offered), it's a step forward for them.

Image is a lot. But it's not everything. Livability has a lot to do with the Mustang's past success. It was an easy car to drive every day. Part of that for some people is having to pay for gasoline. And those looking for image certainly aren't going to be leaping at the prospect of having to buy a Fusion or Focus just to get the fuel economy numbers they were hoping a 2+2 coupe could and should be able to offer them.

The Probe went away because the SUV craze hit. As for the Mustang. It won't matter what the Mustang hp numbers are so long as the performance numbers are good. I'm sorry but Nick is right, if gas hits 4 dollars a gallon people aren't going to buy the car in enough numbers to justify keeping the plant open. A fuel efficient Mustang is in order and it can be done and that might even mean a 250 hp 4 banger.

But...and hes the big but...how big a market is there for THAT car, sure, may gain some additional sales...but I dont see it setting anything on fire...especially when the ST focus is parked next to it at similar pricing.....say $28-29k...

Im not sure the Probe died solely because it was FWD....curious, what was the curb weight of the Probe...wonder how that would compare with what som,e here are assuming they will do to the mustang....sorry, I just dont think a 250ish RWD Mustang will strike any chords....even if gas gos thnrough the roof, I just dont think economy car and Mustang has the same clout as Mustang and performance for the buck....

Dean, don't forget that the majority of Mustangs sold are the V6 model. 34-35 MPG in a Mustang? I think it'd be a hot seller with skyrocketing gas prices.

I wonder just how much better an EB 2.0L I4 would get over the current NA 3.7L V6, which gets 19/31 with the automatic. Can the current Mustang, which is no light weight, get much better than 31 on the highway?? I would guess right now that this new plant would power one of the next special editions - the 2013 or 2014 SVO. After that, a version might be the base engine for the next gen Mustang.

I suspect that what we'll see is a ~275 hp mustang with one of those nice and flat EB torque curves that gives as much or more area under the curve than the 3.7L V6. With that, you'd have quarter miles that are VERY close, 0-60 times that are also VERY close, and probably an even more tossable vehicle when fitted with the track pack. All of that will be on top of a few extra mpg in the city and on the highway.

All in the name of meeting new, future CAFE rules. Heck, if the performance is close enough, I'd be in favor of Ford dropping the v6 to move as many sales to the most fuel efficient model possible, then offering an EB 3.5L v6 as an alternative to the GT's 5.0L. You can have the 5.0L v8, or, you can have this EB 3.5L v6 that gets better mpg and delivers as good or better performance. People will eventually learn to appreciate the EB v6 and you'll be able to improve CAFE compliance.

Hairdressers, Hertz, and sweet 16s need Mustangs too. Lots of Mustangs have been sold in its history by the style conscious that don't give a rip about how fast it is or isn't. As fuel prices go up, a model that costs less to operate will be on those peoples radar more than the few tenths it loses in ET. Entry level models that are pathetically slow don't hurt the models reputation. Top of the line models that don't measure up do though.

The Focus is not a Mustang. People wanting a Mustang (even those wanting the best fuel economy available) aren't going to be interested in the Focus ST or any Focus or anything except a Mustang.

I just cringe it will cheapen the nameplate....the Mustang should remain all about performance...but then again, the 2.0 Explorer doesnt sit right with me as well, maybe I'm just anti 4 cylinder engines full stop in Muscle/ Sports cars or high curbweight LARGE cars....I hope to be convinced....and i dont think mustang buyers as a whole buy the car based on its fuel economy, thats just icing...its looks, performance and value....

Edited by Deanh

I just cringe it will cheapen the nameplate....the Mustang should remain all about performance...but then again, the 2.0 Explorer doesnt sit right with me as well, maybe I'm just anti 4 cylinder engines full stop in Muscle/ Sports cars or high curbweight LARGE cars....I hope to be convinced....and i dont think mustang buyers as a whole buy the car based on its fuel economy, thats just icing...its looks, performance and value....

The world is changing my friend. Economy will now become part of the equation even on cars like the Mustang. Unless it's a complete dog (which I don't believe it will be), it won't cheapen the brand at all.

As for insurance rates, an I4 isn't going to change the Mustang insurance rates....if anything the Mustang has been blessed with an older demographic buying them, thus making them cheaper to insure (not to mention Ford made them cheaper to fix supposedly after an accident according to some article I saw years ago after the 2005s came out) How else do you explain my insurance going down nearly $500 a year from a Focus SVT to a 2006 Mustang GT!

The world is changing my friend. Economy will now become part of the equation even on cars like the Mustang. Unless it's a complete dog (which I don't believe it will be), it won't cheapen the brand at all.

I certainly hope what you say is true...I dont want to see a Ford Mus-celica.....or Mu-subaru or Mitsu-stang

As for insurance rates, an I4 isn't going to change the Mustang insurance rates....if anything the Mustang has been blessed with an older demographic buying them, thus making them cheaper to insure (not to mention Ford made them cheaper to fix supposedly after an accident according to some article I saw years ago after the 2005s came out) How else do you explain my insurance going down nearly $500 a year from a Focus SVT to a 2006 Mustang GT!

Geezer rates.....lol

the Mustang should remain all about performance

Previous base engines have included the 200 cid 6 (no performance), 2.3L 4 (no performance), 3.8L V6 (no performance and horrendous reliability), and the 4.0L V6 (German employment program engine).

The 3.7L 300+hp V6 is the first time the Mustang has *ever* had what could be considered a high performance base engine.

A 2.0L EB 4 that offers comparable performance and better fuel economy will in no way cheapen a vehicle that as recent as a year ago had a base engine that could trace its roots back to 1967.

Previous base engines have included the 200 cid 6 (no performance), 2.3L 4 (no performance), 3.8L V6 (no performance and horrendous reliability), and the 4.0L V6 (German employment program engine).

The 3.7L 300+hp V6 is the first time the Mustang has *ever* had what could be considered a high performance base engine.

A 2.0L EB 4 that offers comparable performance and better fuel economy will in no way cheapen a vehicle that as recent as a year ago had a base engine that could trace its roots back to 1967.

dont forget though Richard...I believe at the time with that 4.0 it was still the fastest 0-60 2 dr coupe under 20k correct?

off topic...the damn Fiesta runs me $1200 a year!!!! thats more than the SUPERCHARGED Cooper!!!!! no tickets no nuttin...ridiculous out here in So Cal....

New Car without much insurance history behind it? I went from $1600 for a 2002 SVT Focus to $1100 on my Mustang....the Mustang went back up to $1600 after a 10K accident and for some stupid reason a damn seatbelt ticket came up after I got pulled over for speeding!

Alright, I've had just about enough of you bad mouthing my 4.0. LOL Seriously though, it still has plenty of performance, I average 19 mpg around town and the thing is nearly bullet proof. I have no complaints.

Alright, I've had just about enough of you bad mouthing my 4.0. LOL Seriously though, it still has plenty of performance, I average 19 mpg around town and the thing is nearly bullet proof. I have no complaints.

have you driven the 3.7?...smooooooooooooooooooth....although never been a fan of the mustangs clutch takeup. takes awee while for me to adjust, guess I'm initially too gentle....