RAM unveils Caravan-based Cargo Van

PREMiERdrum

ram-cv.jpg

Don't call it a Dodge, whatever you do. Ram has officially yanked back the sheets on the newest addition to its growing stable of workhorses – a Grand Caravan-based cargo van built to cater to the small business owners of the world. Along with solid side panels down the vehicle's flanks, the Ram C/V packs a flat load floor and a load-leveling suspension. Under the hood, buyers will only be able to get the new Chrysler 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 with 283 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. Mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, the engine helps provide what Ram calls a class-besting tow rating of 3,800 pounds.

The Ram C/V also boasts an economy mode to maximize fuel efficiency, and Chrysler says that buyers can expect around 25 mpg highway.

The van is also loaded with heavy-duty kit like a more robust radiator, transmission cooler and stiffer rear coil springs. Combined, the pieces help the vehicle serve up a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 8,750 pounds with an 1,800-pound cargo rating. Hit the jump for the full press blast, or check out Ram's new Ford Transit Connect fighter out in the gallery below.

LINK - Autoblog

It's actually a Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Dakota, Dodge Ram C/V, etc., only the "Dodge" is silent. What a weird naming scheme...

Are they going to be adding their other trim designations to the Ram lineup? I want to order a Dodge Ram Grand Caravan R/T Citadel.

I wonder how pricing compares to the TC? It lacks the ceiling height, but at least it does have some towing capacity (the TC has zero towing capacity).

I like the concept of the TC better, but it is woefully underpowered. Nor does it get impressive MPGs.

I like the concept of the TC better, but it is woefully underpowered. Nor does it get impressive MPGs.

Yeah, the TC doesn't do much for me either in terms of power or efficiency. I can't imagine both of those won't be addressed soon though. Either way, the TC is carving out a nice little share of the market for itself anyway.

I think it's better to sell it under the Ram brand for your contractor fleet business then dump that in with Dodge Caravan sales. Keep your contractor fleet business with "Ram" (the guys you already deal with for your pickups and heavy duty vehicles) and your retail with the other brands. Makes sense to me.

Regarding the grille: Dodge is getting rid of the cross-hair grilles on the next go-round of redesigns. That will be Ram only. http://wot.motortrend.com/gilles-grilles-dodge-ceo-confirms-cross-hair-grille-going-ram-brand-after-split-dodge-32177.html

Edited by Intrepidatious

Yeah well, so do the Ram and Dakota...but they are....Rams? The Ram Ram and Ram Dakota? And now the Ram Caravan? Ugh.

They still make the Dakota? LOL

If you look at the RAM Caravan grill, it has a recessed middle to the "crosshair" like other newer Dodge products like the Charger, but the RAM Ram is smooth...along with the Dakota

Amen to that. I pulled up next to a guy the other day-he serviced restaurant equipment- and said "how do you like that (TC)?" No hesitation he shot back- "I hate it- you take your life in your hands pulling onto RT. 2"! (Divided, heavily traveled state road). He also bitched that he had no room. I said-"what did it replace?" Answer- an E-350! Sounds like classic misapplication but I'm sure his boss liked the low price. I'm sure to some a four banger is adequate-key will be what is the Mopar pricing- and that is their new V-6 right?

Chrysler, still proving that they have no idea what to do with the newly (and stupidly) split Dodge and RAM brands. :confused:

I'm guessing it was to allow Chrysler/Jeep dealers to sell Ram Trucks, something they could not do when the Dodge name was still attached. It may have been necessary when they eliminated all those dealers a while back.

I think that this is a smart move. Low cost for F-C (or C-F), and they get to extend their commercial line back into vans on the cheap.

Back in the late 80s we had a "commercial" version of a Chrysler Corp. minivan. It was a good warehouse/local pickup-delivery vehicle. The warehouse guys beat it up for 5 or 6 years, and the K-car drivetrain held up well, This new interation brings back the "midsize van" that disapperard with the Chevy Astro.

Well, assuming that the cargo Caravan gets at least as good of mpg as the base passenger version, it compares favorably with the EPA numbers for the TC. It is a bit bigger overall, though the cargo room isn't dramatically larger. For city deliveries, I think I'd still rather a TC unless cargo capacity was at a premium, then the Caravan CV would be the choice. If I lived in hilly terrain, and had to carry any kind of loads, it would be no contest, the Caravan CV would get the sale hands down. The big question is pricing. Will the Caravan CV cost $2000 or more than the TC?