Ford Unveils 2013 Taurus

03-2013-ford-taurus630opt.jpg

Upon taking the wraps off of the 2013 Ford Taurus, Derrick Kuzak, the automaker's group vice president of global product development, said the styling tweaks were wholly influenced by the new Audi A6. Sure, the new front fascia and LED square around the taillamps are total Audi knock-offs, but what's important to learn from this is that Ford is using the A6 as its target for the Taurus, and with a host of updates for the 2013 model year, Ford's flagship gets one step closer to being an Audi alternative.

All in, the design tweaks give the Taurus an added sense of aggressiveness, though the car is still immediately recognizable as a successor to the all-new flagship that debuted for the 2010 model year. The trapezoidal grille has been tweaked, and now features active air shutters to improve overall fuel economy. The hood has been fully resculpted, and out back, tweaked taillamps with LED running lights blend into a slightly revised rear fascia. Dual exhaust tips are now standard across the board, as are new 20-inch wheel options.

The big enhancements for 2013 are the Taurus' powertrains. Ford's trusty 3.5-liter V6 still serves as the base engine, though its output has been bumped up to 290 horsepower – a full 27 more horses than the outgoing car. New for 2013, though, is the addition of the automaker's 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, rated at 237 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque. With the EcoBoost engine underhood, the Taurus is estimated to achieve up to 31 miles per gallon on the highway.

Inside, there's a new steering wheel and more soft-touch materials have been added to the dash and center console, which now uses the automaker's MyFord Touch infotainment system. Other new enhancements include the addition of Ford's curve control system – first seen on the Explorer – that enhances cornering capability and braking control. Speaking of brakes, the Taurus also gets a larger brake master cylinder, meaning braking feel should be substantially better.

Pricing will be announced closer to the car's on-sale date in early 2012, and while the 2013 Taurus might not be a perfect competitor to Audi's A6, it's sure to offer similar content (and style) at a much lower price-point. Check out all the details for yourself in the press release after the jump, as well as some B-roll footage of the new car. We'll have plenty of live photos and impressions from the car's official New York Auto Show debut, as well.

LINK - Autoblog

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I gotta say I like the current nose better. The interior looks great, and the touched-up rear is solid. But the front doesn't do it for me.

I'd have to agree with you, I'm like eh with it...its not bad, but not spacatar either....after seeing this, I really want to see what the new Fusion is going to look like and what its going to bring to the table in a performance model...so far I like the Fiesta/Focus styling more

And I'm not too impressed with the Ecoboost I4 numbers either...I was expecting closer to 250HP+

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

Very very good for a refresh. I'm not against the A6 as an influence yet, I personally wouldn't admit it. Interior is changed just for the MFT which is very good anyway. My two beefs with the interior are these: 1. The driver's tunnel is a little too cramped for long-distance jaunts. It does enclose you and makes the rest of the interior seem strangely far away. 2. I feel the wood inlays (same as in the Flex) don't workin a car that can cost $50,000 (here in Canada at least). It may be real but it's cheap laminate. It's like the 2005-09 Mustang Aluminum overlays which looked like someone took a overlay and wrapped cigerette foil around them. If that's all I got, it looks like a decent car and my experience in a rental SEL last fall was excellent.

What's with the SHO with no power upgrade? I'm not surprised the EB 2.0 power numbers are as they are for now. It's the 250 lb-ft that counts. If it's got the same flat curve as it's big brother, it'll be just fine.

• Like 1

I'd have to agree with you, I'm like eh with it...its not bad, but not spacatar either....after seeing this, I really want to see what the new Fusion is going to look like and what its going to bring to the table in a performance model...so far I like the Fiesta/Focus styling more

And I'm not too impressed with the Ecoboost I4 numbers either...I was expecting closer to 250HP+

It's the same numbers as the Edge.

Ooh, I like it! I wish they had done more to the interior however, I don't like the high center console and the hard-touch materials. I'm surprised by how significant the redesign is on the exterior. I'm definitely a fan from these images, very distinctive and more powerful looking (and you will win me over anytime you show something in black). But I would have been happier with a more aggressive interior upgrade, less on the exterior.

I like how they fixed the continuity issues between the trunk and fender lamps (round vs angular). And THANK GOD they are LED. I'm not sure about the new trunk lip, I have to see that from another angle, I rather liked the chamfered edge of the old trunk.

I would DEFINITELY buy this, although I'm more attracted to the Limited than the SHO...SHO is too far on the Sport camp for me.

I notice we are not seeing the 3-bar grille spied during testing. I wonder if the Limited has a different grille and they haven't showed us the SE/SEL grille yet...or they simply changed their minds.

2012-ford-taurus-sho-2_1200.jpg

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Hmm I wonder where Autoblog got that nugget....wasn't in the press release....

Sounds like they got it straight from the horse's mouth.

Upon taking the wraps off of the 2013 Ford Taurus, Derrick Kuzak, the automaker's group vice president of global product development, said the styling tweaks were wholly influenced by the new Audi A6.

As for the refresh, I'm not sold on the front end. The lower model cars lost a bit of that understated elegance in the grille, while the SHO just doesn't click at all. That big expanse of dark gray plastic on either side of the grille and the bottom half of the rear bumper just does not jive. I know they did that to take away vertical mass, but it draws the eyes to it as opposed to away from it. Perhaps it will be better in person.

Otherwise, not bad for an MCE. It was already a good car to begin with, I'd say the biggest news is the 4 cylinder Ecoboost and MyFordTouch. Cool stuff.

Sounds like they got it straight from the horse's mouth.

As for the refresh, I'm not sold on the front end. The lower model cars lost a bit of that understated elegance in the grille, while the SHO just doesn't click at all. That big expanse of dark gray plastic on either side of the grille and the bottom half of the rear bumper just does not jive. I know they did that to take away vertical mass, but it draws the eyes to it as opposed to away from it. Perhaps it will be better in person.

Otherwise, not bad for an MCE. It was already a good car to begin with, I'd say the biggest news is the 4 cylinder Ecoboost and MyFordTouch. Cool stuff.

They've tried to employ some obvious design technics to hide the 'vertical mass' of the car, I can only assume the black plastic on the bumper is part of that technique, which I don't particularly like...but thankfully black cures this problem for the most part. I'm still stunned they unveiled a redesign so soon, the car was already so fresh to begin with...but then again this debut is way too early so that is skewing the timing. Ironically, the changes I was expecting didn't happen, the interior is largely carried over.

Edited by BORG

I'd have to agree with you, I'm like eh with it...its not bad, but not spacatar either

Throw me in this camp too. I'm fine with everything except the front is iffy for me.

Ooh, I like it! I wish they had done more to the interior however, I don't like the high center console and the hard-touch materials. I'm surprised by how significant the redesign is on the exterior. I'm definitely a fan from these images, very distinctive and more powerful looking (and you will win me over anytime you show something in black). But I would have been happier with a more aggressive interior upgrade, less on the exterior.

I like how they fixed the continuity issues between the trunk and fender lamps (round vs angular). And THANK GOD they are LED. I'm not sure about the new trunk lip, I have to see that from another angle, I rather liked the chamfered edge of the old trunk.

I would DEFINITELY buy this, although I'm more attracted to the Limited than the SHO...SHO is too far on the Sport camp for me.

I notice we are not seeing the 3-bar grille spied during testing. I wonder if the Limited has a different grille and they haven't showed us the SE/SEL grille yet...or they simply changed their minds.

Hard touch materials? Well, despite it already having a lot of soft-touch materials, they added more with this refresh.

I too am glad the taillights are LED - I would've done the running light outline before too. Only thing I don't like about the taillights is the way they separated them into two clear horizontal rows with a red reflective strip extending from the chrome strip. To me, a clear strip that housed both the reverse and amber turn signals should extend from the chrome strip with the rest red, but that's my personal preference.

As for the trunk lid, my guess is the new lip is better aerodynamically than the chamfered edge was.