Spied Ford Flex Refresh

Good - I like the Flex. It's a real alternative to SUVs and crossovers. I drove one at the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, and was very impressed with the quiet interior, comfortable seats, ease of entry and exit and the amount of room available. I also prefer the lower seating position, as opposed to higher seats offered by SUVs. Which, I guess, runs counter to current preferences in the market.

Looks like they've made the front bumper a little closer to being flush with the front end, which should help to sharpen it up. Liking the grille/headlight interaction that is visible here.

Nick, I'd expect new front and rear clips, carryover greenhouse and door skins. I'm interested to see how they update the interior...

• Like 1

This refresh will buy it another couple of years, but in the end, a total redesign is not warranted.

withe the Edge and Explorer performing like they are the Flex are just "gravy" sales...and probably pretty profitable...LOVE the car, quirks and all, and possibly because of that have sold quite a few...car has been well embraced here in So Cal, the Golden State....

So glad to hear/see Ford is keeping the Flex around. The Flex will be more than likely the next vehicle that occupies a spot in our driveway.

Only problem, I'm not feeling that front clip. I know you can't see much, but the grille appears to be less appealing, especially with those amber lights, whether they are turn signals or simply parking lights. And the headlights, I'm not liking the project setup. In the first image displayed, maybe it's my eyes, but it appears there are dual project style lamps within each assembly. Maybe the one on the outside edge is simply a turn signal. Either way though, I find the current headlight assembly more attractive.

Of course as always with these mule photos, I'll wait to see what the actual production version ends up looking like. But my first impression of that front isn't positive.

And the headlights, I'm not liking the project setup. In the first image displayed, maybe it's my eyes, but it appears there are dual project style lamps within each assembly. Maybe the one on the outside edge is simply a turn signal. Either way though, I find the current headlight assembly more attractive.

Hmm. And here I think the headlights are one of the weakest styling elements on the current model. Just goes to show you can't please everybody all the time. :D

Looks like they've made the front bumper a little closer to being flush with the front end, which should help to sharpen it up. Liking the grille/headlight interaction that is visible here.

Nick, I'd expect new front and rear clips, carryover greenhouse and door skins. I'm interested to see how they update the interior...

I hope they don't go with the standard center stack/steering wheel/guage cluster going in everything else, but that will probably be the case.

As for the flanks, I'm not expecting any miracles as far as changes, but depending on the styling of the front and rear, I can see them eliminating the side strakes or reducing the number or something -- something that would require new stampings, but one that requires very, very little in terms of engineering changes.

Hmm. And here I think the headlights are one of the weakest styling elements on the current model. Just goes to show you can't please everybody all the time. :D

I don't disagree with you. I think the current versions headlights are one of the weak links in the style of the Flex. BUT from what I can see of this refreshes headlights, they didn't improve but went backwards, in my opinion. Now I could be totally wrong and the camo could be doing a number on my eyes.

EDIT: To give you an idea, I'm not fond of the Explorer's headlight setup nor grille. So if the Explorer front clip influenced the Flex's refreshed front clip, than most likely I'll be disappointed.

Edited by V8-X

Wow. That LLN article is terrible.

1 : The Flex was NOT Ford's first 3 row crossover. The Freestyle, launched 4 years before the Flex was.

2 : I have no idea what '4,000 units annually' is supposed to mean--whether it's 4,000 per month, or 40,000 per year.

3 : This prediction is absurd:

If Ford chooses to go in that direction, some of the Flex’s premium interior and trim bits might bite the dust to keep costs down.

Ford hasn't done this with *any* refresh, and if anything, the Flex's interior lags the Explorer in terms of materials. The notion that Ford is going to aggressively discount the Flex in order to obtain sales volume is just... I mean.... who does this guy think he's talking about? GM?

This refresh will buy it another couple of years, but in the end, a total redesign is not warranted.

Pioneer, I agree with you. This freshening likely will be very moderate (say around $100 million). So, since the facilities are in place, Ford can probably make a few bucks at the back end of the cycle. But I think when it comes time for the next major platform investment (maybe 3 years after the fresh?), it won't be worth it to keep the Flex and MKT around.

Also it depends on what use Ford is projecting for Oakville. If they get the CD4 for Edge replacement, then they still could continue the Flex/MKT. But if Ford wants to flex CD4 sedans into the plant also, that might nudge out the D3's...

My questions is what engines will it get in the refresh? Will it get the same set as the explorer with the EB 2.0L and the TiVCT 3.5L? I'm not so sure that the 2.0L EB will work well in it as people tend to pan the base engine a little as being adequate but not inspiring. Granted, I'd expect the EB setup to weigh a little less too.

My questions is what engines will it get in the refresh? Will it get the same set as the explorer with the EB 2.0L and the TiVCT 3.5L? I'm not so sure that the 2.0L EB will work well in it as people tend to pan the base engine a little as being adequate but not inspiring. Granted, I'd expect the EB setup to weigh a little less too.

I'd expect to see the 2.0EB and the tweaked 3.5 at the least. I wouldn't be too shocked to see the 3.5EB get dropped, but if the take rate on it now is decent, I would expect it to stay as well.

While some in the media may pan the 3.5, "adequate" is, well, adequate for most buyers.

withe the Edge and Explorer performing like they are the Flex are just "gravy" sales...and probably pretty profitable...LOVE the car, quirks and all, and possibly because of that have sold quite a few...car has been well embraced here in So Cal, the Golden State....

It will be interesting to see how the new Explorer performs next to the Flex. At what (selling numbers) can the Flex continue to be profitable? The 2,500 number the article states would only be 30K annually. Certainly not a big volume mover.

It will be interesting to see how the new Explorer performs next to the Flex. At what (selling numbers) can the Flex continue to be profitable? The 2,500 number the article states would only be 30K annually. Certainly not a big volume mover.

any sales it picks up are, like i said...gravy...Explorer will most likely sell more due to the fact it is veiwed as having greater capabilities in inclement weather...which may also be a major reason the Flex sells more here in California...hmmm, look outside, strange...its SUNNY and dry......

I'd expect to see the 2.0EB and the tweaked 3.5 at the least. I wouldn't be too shocked to see the 3.5EB get dropped, but if the take rate on it now is decent, I would expect it to stay as well.

While some in the media may pan the 3.5, "adequate" is, well, adequate for most buyers.

media= out of touch with public needs/ desires/ expectations.....

I would imagine if it continues to sell at 2500 units a month or worse, it wouldn't be long for this world, but if it can settle into about 3000-3500 after the refresh, that would probably be more than adequate to justify its existence at least until an all-new large CUV platform is launched. The shared platform costs are everything for the Flex at this point. Remember that the Mustang is soldiering on at not much higher volumes on its own unique platform with ATP's that are likely worse than the Flex's.