Vertrek-influenced Escape

Received the most recent edition of the "My Ford" magazine yesterday. On the cover is the Vertrek. It was part of a larger story about how Ford is expanding its C platform vehicles and featured the Focus, the C Max and the Vertrek. With regard to the Vertrek, it made reference to how its influence will appear in the "next Escape".

It might be meaningless, but my takeaway is that 1) The next Escape will be still be named "Escape" (for the US anyway) and 2) I believe more and more that the next Escape will look much, much closer to the Vertrek than retaining much of the cues of the existing design. (Maybe we've largely concluded this already?)

As long as it maintains a decent ride height and a basic ability to tow (like 3000 lbs-ish...enough to tow a jet ski or small utility trailer), this might be a new front runner for my next car. After I got buried on the side of the road in my Fusion this March and had to walk home on a 4 lane freaking highway at 2 am in a blizzard, I'd like something that is AWD and rides a bit higher....but I want the near-lux features and power I have in my car now. So if they drop a V6 option, I hope there is still at least an Ecoboosted option that puts out 250hp. I have no concerns over the interior given how the Fiesta and Focus were handled.

Received the most recent edition of the "My Ford" magazine yesterday. On the cover is the Vertrek. It was part of a larger story about how Ford is expanding its C platform vehicles and featured the Focus, the C Max and the Vertrek. With regard to the Vertrek, it made reference to how its influence will appear in the "next Escape".

It might be meaningless, but my takeaway is that 1) The next Escape will be still be named "Escape" (for the US anyway) and 2) I believe more and more that the next Escape will look much, much closer to the Vertrek than retaining much of the cues of the existing design. (Maybe we've largely concluded this already?)

As long as it maintains a decent ride height and a basic ability to tow (like 3000 lbs-ish...enough to tow a jet ski or small utility trailer), this might be a new front runner for my next car. After I got buried on the side of the road in my Fusion this March and had to walk home on a 4 lane freaking highway at 2 am in a blizzard, I'd like something that is AWD and rides a bit higher....but I want the near-lux features and power I have in my car now. So if they drop a V6 option, I hope there is still at least an Ecoboosted option that puts out 250hp. I have no concerns over the interior given how the Fiesta and Focus were handled.

I hear you.... I really hope that the next Escape still has a 3500 lb towing capacity. With gas prices skyrocketing, I might have to consider something like the new Escape....

It looks like the nameplates will be unchanged, although I can't quite figure out why "Kuga" is an appealing name in Europe? The car will be sold everywhere else as the Ford Escape, but in Europe they choose "Kuga" (and Maverick before that).

I'll have to wait for the production version to pass judgment, the concept will always skew proportions and details. I think I really like it. More importantly, I just hope the new Escape is a much higher quality product, right now the Escape is penny-pinched within an inch of its life and comes off very crude, flimsy, and archain. The new car should make HUGE improvements there.

Edited by BORG

That's why I am encouraged by the Fiesta and Focus. With the Escape still on a C-platform but "up" in...the "food chain", I guess you could say, (just like the Focus is "up" from the Fiesta), I fully expect high-quality interiors and materials w/ MFT and the full array of other tech. But you're right, Borg, the worry is does it get a favorable design and treatment. Judging by the small cars that have typically been where you see penny-pinching in the past, I would say the chances of a great product are good.

I've always been a "car guy", not really interested in an SUV or truck. (I appreciate the utility, but never needed it). But like I said, nothing like my blizzard experience to change minds(not that a small CUV would have saved me). With the right level of lux and tech, it will definitely make me think hard between that and a high-end Fusion.

As current Escape owners, Jenn and I are excited to see the new one. While I was one on here preaching about keeping the "truck" DNA in the next-gen Escape, the Vertrek concept was able to keep a very aggressive, masculine look without appearing boxy. While I'm sure our next new car purchase will be something with 3 rows (Explorer leading that race now, though I'm interested in the reborn Aviator), I'd be completely open to the idea of this new Escape as my DD (the wife prefers to pilot the Family Truckster, which is fine by me!).

II just hope the new Escape is a much higher quality product, right now the Escape is penny-pinched within an inch of its life and comes off very crude, flimsy, and archain. The new car should make HUGE improvements there.

I wouldn't describe the current Escape as flimsy. I know there are a few of you on this message board that think the current Escape is a piece of junk, but let me remind you what was the second best selling vehicle line behind the F-Series last month... Escape. Yes it is the vehicle some of you like to hate on, but it continues to sell like hotcakes setting several new sales records this year.

I personally love my '11 Limited V6 4WD. It feels light and zips right around other traffic. Parking is a piece of cake as well. It has great visibility and lots of space for it's size. Sure it is smaller then some of the newer generation compact SUVs and might not handle quite as well, but I am one who still loves the little truck feel of the Escape. I also still like the boxy SUV styling even though I know many people prefer the CUV car like styling because they prefer small hatchback cars over little trucks.

I just get tired of people who slam the current Escape like it is some piece of crap. If it was a piece of crap I doubt it would be one of the best selling small SUVs. I am very happy with mine and in no way, shape, or form does it feel flimsy or even crude. The Ranger might be crude, but the current Escape is far from flimsy or crude. Have you even driven the current one with the 240 HP V6 and 6 speed auto? The thing is a little animal and has all kinds of get-up and go.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Have you even driven the current one with the 240 HP V6 and 6 speed auto? The thing is a little animal and has all kinds of get-up and go.

I haven't personally, but the wife drove both the V6 and the I4 back to back before we ordered our 2011 and she insisted on getting the 6. Can't wait until it arrives at the dealer.

• Like 1

If the Escape turns out like the Vertrek it's one less Ford I'll consider when it's time to replace our Escape. It's been a great car, ~120k with hardly any trouble, it's the vehicle which cemented me as a Ford buyer, but had the Escape looked like that in 2003 I'd probably be driving a Chevy or (gasp) a Honda.

I'm half tempted to jump on a 2012 while I can.

I don't know, I guess it'll depend on what the final outcome of the design is. If it looks like the Vertrek on the cover of My Ford, then I'm not really opposed to it (again, it has to either have the V6 or a decent ~240-250 hp Ecoboost 4 cyl). To me, that design holds the kinetic design language of the Fiesta and the Focus.

On the flip side, I'm fundamentally opposed to the CRV and Rav 4. Some say "It's the same thing!", but design is a weird thing and very personal, I think. Maybe my opposition to the CRV and Rav 4 aren't due to design, but merely because they're a Honda and Toyota and they're something I'd never, ever buy no matter what it looked like.

At any rate, the interior design, material quality, features (DEATC, heated seats, good sound system, Sync, etc) and power are much more important to me than the exterior design. The exterior is obviously a consideration (so a Juke is OUT, an Aztek never would have made the list)...but it's not that big of a deal. And I'm not a chick or gay (noting probowler so eloquently and open-mindedly implied purchasers of this vehicle must be).

I think it's about time the Escape changes it's looks dramatically. The boxy look just harkens to the days of the Crown Vic. Styling has to change.

I hope Ford doesn't make it look like they're copying Honda/Toyota styling. I don't think they will though. There will be enough Fiesta/Focus styling similarities that it won't be the case.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of all the new small crossovers. They all look like cars without a trunk and a little higher wagon style back end. They all look pretty girly to me. I bet even a lot of the ladies don't want a girly car if they are in the market for a small SUV. I just feel Ford is making a mistake taking their extremely popular small SUV and making it into some weak, paved road only crossover. Now I know it is time for a redesign, but I think going away from an SUV look and making it look like every other small crossover isn't going to help sales.

I expect this new Vertrek will cost quite a bit more then the current Escape yet have less capability. First of all I expect the V6 engine is out and along with it the towing package. If you notice now you need the V6 to get the 3,500 lb. towing package. You can say that they will have an EcoBoost that that will have a towing package, but will it be robust enough? I know all about the F-150 Ecoboost being a towing monster, but who knows if they are even going to allow towing with these tiny 2.0L 4 cylinder engines? I know the current Escape isn't a vehicle you buy to tow with if that is your main purpose, but it is nice to be able to tow small utility trailers, a small U-Haul, or even a pop-up camper. Second, even though the current Escape isn't a rock crawler or a serious off-roader it does do well with light off-roading. It has plenty of ground clearance and is plenty robust to handle the occasional logging trail or trip back into the cabin. This Vertrek looks like an on road vehicle only. It appears quite low to the ground and I imagine the first time you try to drive a 2 track to get back to the fishing hole you will tear out half the undercarriage.

In closing this vehicle might be fancier and ride better on the road, but I don't think it will be nearly as capable as the current Escape in being an all around Swiss Army Knife small SUV.

The all-new 2013 Escape/Kuga/Vertrek series can't arrive soon enough as far as I'm concerned. As popular as the Escape is, the design is now very dated and long overdue for a major overhaul.

I agree, and we own a 2003 Escape Limited. It's nice enough, but I've got no desire to update to a newer model with its current design.

I think that boxy Escape enthusiasts are going to become the new Panther mafia. :doh:

I agree, and we own a 2003 Escape Limited. It's nice enough, but I've got no desire to update to a newer model with its current design.

I think that boxy Escape enthusiasts are going to become the new Panther mafia. :doh:

You might not have any desire, but I can promise you my 2011 Escape Limited 4WD V6 is a very different vehicle from your 2003. So what is wrong with the boxy Escape? Last I check it was Ford's second best seller behind the F-Series last month and I didn't check, but I bet it is the 3rd best seller for the year. Maybe if they girlie-fy it they will sell even more, but I doubt it. I am not saying that it isn't time to update the Escape. All vehicles need to be re-designed at some point, but they need to take a strong look at the current Escapes sales performance and realize that a lot of people want a little SUV NOT another wimpy crossover that sits 3 inches off the ground with a sloped off hatchback butt. Sometimes you get a re-design right and sometimes you do a re-design like Ford did in 1996 with the Taurus which destroyed it. We will see what happens. Who knows I might get one in three years when my current lease is up... but it is just another "me-too" crossover like all the rest designed to appeal most to women I'm not sure what I will get.

I haven't personally, but the wife drove both the V6 and the I4 back to back before we ordered our 2011 and she insisted on getting the 6. Can't wait until it arrives at the dealer.

Oh your going to smile the first time you punch it. The PIP D30 hauls a** in the little guy.

2010 Escape V6 0-60 video (I am assuming this one is 4WD because there isn't any tire spinning)

Now here is an '09 FWD with the same PIP D30. Notice the tires chirp at about 32 when it shifts... :happy feet:

See what I mean... :D

Edited by 2005Explorer

We still sell a bunch of Escapes but we are losing more and more sales each month to the Kia dealer down the road. The Sorrento (and the other slightly larger one) just look better. The time has come and we need new blood in this segment.

I test drove a Kia Sportage at a local Kia dealership. While it was nice (but not spectacular) it was the interaction with the Generation Y sales staff which was quite the experience....

I made arrangements with Salesman #1 in the morning to drop by at 5:30 pm. He said he would prepare the vehicle for my arrival (he sent me an email to confirm). When I arrived, he had left for the day. Salesman #2 told me he tried to call (which was not true - there was no call on my cell phone and I left the number for that purpose). As he had already used my email address once, I verified during the day if I had any additional messages from him (I did not)

Salesman #2 let me test drive the Sportage - while doing so, he took my registration to do an evaluation on my current vehicle. When I came back from my test drive, he as well had left for the day with my registration in his pocket and had told Salesman #3 to collect the vehicle/temporary plate from me. I told Salesman #3 that they needed to call him to come back as I was not going to be without my registration before leaving the dealership. I waited 45 minutes to get my registration back.

When I complained to the manager of the dealership about being passed back and forth her reaction was as if I was the problem for being concerned about it. I explained to her that a customer should expect better treatment than this.

I have looked at multiple new vehicles in the last little while - if anyone is looking for a business to invest in, you might seriously look at opening an "auto salesman finishing school."

I'm going to laugh my ass off when they turn the escape into another chick-appealing gay over and the sales plummet. No guy with any balls will drive the verktrek, and the only chicks who would drive it would much rather drive a Chevy.

Probowler? More like "Protroller"

We get it. You don't like it, yet you haven't even seen the final product, and haven't driven it. You curse the Vertrek concept for being a crossover, yet praise the current Escape because you don't realize it's also a crossover. Yes, your beloved current-gen Escape is a "gay over" as you put it.

And with all this talk about gay and balls, are you trying to tell us something? Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld says, but let's keep the talk on this forum about Ford.

• Like 1