Chevrolet Sonic Price Will Start at $14,495

• Offers more standard safety equipment than any vehicle in its class with 10 airbags and the security and convenience of OnStar

• Available 1.4L Turbo expected to achieve best-in-class acceleration and 40 mpg hwy

Chevrolet Sonic Forum – The suggested retail price of the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic begins at $14,495 including destination but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. Sonic comes with the most standard safety equipment in the sub-compact class, including 10 air bags. Air conditioning, power door locks, remote keyless entry and 15" alloy wheels also are standard.

The Sonic, the only sub-compact built in the United States, is expected to deliver 40 mpg highway with class-leading acceleration when paired with the 1.4L Turbo and six-speed manual transmission.

The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback. Each delivers outstanding rear-seat roominess and cargo space.

“Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “Today's customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire.”

The 2012 Sonic will be for retail sale this fall in three models with two body styles:

Sonic LS starting at $14,495 sedan, $15,395 hatchback, including:

• Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission

• Class-exclusive standard 15-inch alloy wheels

• The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system and power rear-door child safety locks

• Standard OnStar, with a six-month subscription including Turn-by-Turn navigation

• Standard convenience features, including air conditioning, power door locks with remote keyless entry and tilt/telescoping steering wheel

Sonic LT starting at $15,695 sedan, $16,495 hatchback, including:

Six-speaker premium sound system with CD player, XM Radio with three-month trial subscription

Power windows with driver's express up/down

Power, heated side mirrors

Connectivity package with a USB port, Bluetooth for select phones and music, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls

Heated front seats

Cruise control

Fog lamps

Standard 17-inch alloy wheels

Major available upgrades on Sonic include:

Six-speed automatic transmission (with 1.8L engine) - $1,070

1.4L Turbo with six-speed manual transmission (available on LT and LTZ) - $700

“Sonic is truly a safer small car with three more airbags than the nearest competitor,” said Scheidt. “It also offers the safety, security and convenience of OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation on all models.”

Base Models Sonic Fiesta S Honda Fit
MSRP, including destination $14,495 $13,995 $15,870
Engine 1.8L Ecotec 1.6L 1.5L
Horsepower 138 120 117
Torque 125 112 106
Standard Transmission 5 Speed Manual 5-Speed Manual 5-Speed Manual
Passenger Volume (cu ft) 90.4 85.1 90.8
Trunk Volume (cu ft) 14 12.8 Not Applicable
Standard Air Bags 10 7 8

Navigation (Turn by Turn) Standard N/A N/A
Hill Hold Standard Optional N/A
Power rear child safety locks Standard N/A N/A
15" Alloy Wheels Standard N/A N/A

Production of the Sonic begins this fall at the General Motors Orion Assembly Center in Michigan, which received a $545-million investment in upgrades and retooling, and will help restore approximately 1,000 jobs in the metropolitan Detroit area.

Calling 6 months of free On-Star standard turn by turn navi is a bit of a stretch I think. Someone please explain to me how "hill hold" works with a manua transmission while still allowing for full manual control over the car?

It keeps the brakes engaged automatically while you operate the clutch and throttle. Once the vehicle starts to move forward it automatically releases the brake.

Someone please explain to me how "hill hold" works with a manua transmission while still allowing for full manual control over the car?

An incline sensor is used to engage the brake when the vehicle is stationary and the clutch is engaged, transmission in neutral, and brake pedal depressed. Depending on the implementation, the hill-holder system uses additional sensors to determine if the clutch and/or accelerator pedal is depressed to invoke forward motion. This will disengage the brake.

Some systems will automatically engage the brake for a short period of time (e.g., 2 seconds) if any roll back is sensed as the driver starts off in first gear.

Edited by aneekr

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it had to be the brakes because anything else would be impossible to implement without taking throttle and gear selection control away from the driver.

I'm not sure I'd like that feature though. With an automatic, yes, but not with a stick. If you can't get the car going on a hill without rolling back too far then you should not be driving a stick.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it had to be the brakes because anything else would be impossible to implement without taking throttle and gear selection control away from the driver.

I'm not sure I'd like that feature though. With an automatic, yes, but not with a stick. If you can't get the car going on a hill without rolling back too far then you should not be driving a stick.

So now some people who have that fear can consider buying a stick! It should save a few clutches in San Francisco.

It's called "Building a Better Mousetrap".......if the clutches are too stiff, make them lighter. If rolling backwards on a steep hill is a concern, put in a hill hold. Shifters have gotten lighter and smoother.

The reason manual transmission take rates are so low (what 10% in the USA?) is because of people who say: "if you can't do_____ you shouldn't drive a stick."

I love manual transmissions. The only way they will build them in the future is by making them more accessible and less fearful, so more people will BUY them!

So now some people who have that fear can consider buying a stick! It should save a few clutches in San Francisco.

It's called "Building a Better Mousetrap".......if the clutches are too stiff, make them lighter. If rolling backwards on a steep hill is a concern, put in a hill hold. Shifters have gotten lighter and smoother.

The reason manual transmission take rates are so low (what 10% in the USA?) is because of people who say: "if you can't do_____ you shouldn't drive a stick."

I love manual transmissions. The only way they will build them in the future is by making them more accessible and less fearful, so more people will BUY them!

Please people are just plain lazy...it requires far too much hand-foot co-ordination to drive a stick properly. With an automatic, you just put it in gear and go...

For the most part Autos are nearly as good as an manual....

But I'm fearing the day I have to drive an auto as a daily driver :(

Subaru had that feature in the 1980's for manual transmission cars. I'm surprised that it took everyone else so long to do this.

Check your history. American makes had it much earlier. How about 1936? Studebaker did it. Other cars followed suit but they had to have hydraulic brakes.

Edited by 156n3rd

I totally disagree. People don't like to work a clutch in traffic and that's why the stick is dying a slow death. The only solution to that is to buy an auto tranny and that's exactly what people are doing.

I totally disagree. People don't like to work a clutch in traffic and that's why the stick is dying a slow death. The only solution to that is to buy an auto tranny and that's exactly what people are doing.

Precisely the reason I bought a new vehicle to replace my Mazda6. For the sheer fun of driving though, I'm still sticking with the manual in my Cobra. :shift:

• Like 1

I don't understand why manual drivers don't understand this. Maybe they do and just don't want to admit it.

I had a manual 95 Ranger and got stuck on I-285 in rush hour one day for over 1 hour. It was the epitome of stop-n-go traffice - one car length at a time. After 1 hour my left leg was toast.

My next 2 vehicles have been automatics.

I might buy another manual if I buy a sporty car since I rarely if ever have to drive in traffic any more. If I get a weekend sporty car it will definitely be a manual. But if I had to drive in traffic every day? No way!

<br/>

<br/>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oq3C8OlZMpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<br/>

<br/>

• Offers more standard safety equipment than any vehicle in its class with 10 airbags and the security and convenience of OnStar<br/>

• Available 1.4L Turbo expected to achieve best-in-class acceleration and 40 mpg hwy<br/>

<br/>

<br/>

Chevrolet Sonic Forum – The suggested retail price of the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic begins at $14,495 including destination but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. Sonic comes with the most standard safety equipment in the sub-compact class, including 10 air bags. Air conditioning, power door locks, remote keyless entry and 15" alloy wheels also are standard.

<br/>

<br/>

The Sonic, the only sub-compact built in the United States, is expected to deliver 40 mpg highway with class-leading acceleration when paired with the 1.4L Turbo and six-speed manual transmission.

<br/>

<br/>

The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback. Each delivers outstanding rear-seat roominess and cargo space.

<br/>

<br/>

“Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “Today's customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire.”

<br/>

<br/>

The 2012 Sonic will be for retail sale this fall in three models with two body styles:

<br/>

<br/>

Sonic LS starting at $14,495 sedan, $15,395 hatchback, including:

<br/>

<br/>

• Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission

• Class-exclusive standard 15-inch alloy wheels

• The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system and power rear-door child safety locks

• Standard OnStar, with a six-month subscription including Turn-by-Turn navigation

• Standard convenience features, including air conditioning, power door locks with remote keyless entry and tilt/telescoping steering wheel

<br/>

<br/>

Sonic LT starting at $15,695 sedan, $16,495 hatchback, including:

Six-speaker premium sound system with CD player, XM Radio with three-month trial subscription

Power windows with driver's express up/down

Power, heated side mirrors

Connectivity package with a USB port, Bluetooth for select phones and music, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls

Heated front seats

Cruise control

Fog lamps

Standard 17-inch alloy wheels

<br/>

<br/>

Major available upgrades on Sonic include:

<br/>

<br/>

Six-speed automatic transmission (with 1.8L engine) - $1,070

1.4L Turbo with six-speed manual transmission (available on LT and LTZ) - $700

<br/>

<br/>

“Sonic is truly a safer small car with three more airbags than the nearest competitor,” said Scheidt. “It also offers the safety, security and convenience of OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation on all models.”

<br/>

<br/>

<table width="500" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="navy"><font color="white" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>Base Models</b></font></td>

<td bgcolor="navy"><font color="white" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>Sonic</b></font></td>

<td bgcolor="navy"><font color="white" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>Fiesta S</b></font></td>

<td bgcolor="navy"><font color="white" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>Honda Fit</b></font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">MSRP, including destination</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">$14,495</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">$13,995</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">$15,870</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Engine</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">1.8L Ecotec</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">1.6L</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">1.5L</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Horsepower</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">138</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">120</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">117</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Torque</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">125</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">112</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">106</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Standard Transmission</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">5 Speed Manual</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">5-Speed Manual</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">5-Speed Manual</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Passenger Volume (cu ft)</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">90.4</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">85.1</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">90.8</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Trunk Volume (cu ft)</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">14</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">12.8</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Not Applicable</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Standard Air Bags</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">10</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">7</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">8</font>

<p></p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Navigation (Turn by Turn)</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Standard</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">N/A</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Hill Hold</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Standard</font></td>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Optional</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Power rear child safety locks</font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">15" Alloy Wheels</font></td>

</tr>

</table>

<br/>

<br/>

Production of the Sonic begins this fall at the General Motors Orion Assembly Center in Michigan, which received a $545-million investment in upgrades and retooling, and will help restore approximately 1,000 jobs in the metropolitan Detroit area.

this is good, it may force Ford to up the ante in regards to the Fiesta....because in all sincerity, a few more horse would go a long way....and a 5 speed close ratio with a 6th speed overdrive manual wouldnt hurt either

this is good, it may force Ford to up the ante in regards to the Fiesta....because in all sincerity, a few more horse would go a long way....and a 5 speed close ratio with a 6th speed overdrive manual wouldnt hurt either

Fiesta ST coming soon for those who need more power. I'm sure you knew that already though.

I don't understand why manual drivers don't understand this. Maybe they do and just don't want to admit it.

I had a manual 95 Ranger and got stuck on I-285 in rush hour one day for over 1 hour. It was the epitome of stop-n-go traffice - one car length at a time. After 1 hour my left leg was toast.

My next 2 vehicles have been automatics.

I might buy another manual if I buy a sporty car since I rarely if ever have to drive in traffic any more. If I get a weekend sporty car it will definitely be a manual. But if I had to drive in traffic every day? No way!

But that's a truck, How stiff was the clutch? If it toasted your leg, it must have been heavy.

I agree that's not fun! But what if it was as light as possible? I've been stuck in traffic with the Miata, not so bad.......nothing can make a traffic jam "good". It's second nature, and my clutch leg was fine.

I'll admit my work commute is all of 8 minutes on city streets. It's funny, my 05 Mustang GT was an automatic and I got attitude for not having a stick!

Fiesta ST coming soon for those who need more power. I'm sure you knew that already though.

oh trust me....I just think an engine with Ti Vct is plenty capable of 100hp per litre......I have a gut feeling we may see a bump soon....140 would be a starter....and probably fine for the long haul....add stop start to keep the all important MPGs in check... Direct Injection would no doubt help as well. That said i now feel the car Im driving now will last forever...sure is under-stressed....

Edited by Deanh

It's always easy to release a new version of your car after everyone else has. In this case it gives GM a chance to see what's on the table and modify their offering before it is released.

personally I can name 3 manufacturers that seem to reliably over estimate ( GM with hp, Hyundai with HP AND mileage, and Toyota with Mpgs and reliability (( cheap shot)) ...) some of their vehicles stats.....thankfully Ford isnt one of them, if anything they UNDER estimate.

thankfully Ford isnt one of them, if anything they UNDER estimate.

Instrumented acceleration test numbers for the U.S. Fiesta have often been worse than what the car's power to weight ratio would suggest. What's your take on that Deanh (particularly as an owner of that car yourself)?

Instrumented acceleration test numbers for the U.S. Fiesta have often been worse than what the car's power to weight ratio would suggest. What's your take on that Deanh (particularly as an owner of that car yourself)?

I beleive the issue lies at the hand of Fords overly agressive "dumb down" driving aids....Traction Control and Advancetrac are the culprits....if one attempts to hotrod the safety controls automatically make brake and throttle adjustments to counter spinning front wheels....and beleive me, its damn near impossible to "peel rubber" in a Fiesta...AND theres no defeat mode which, I would have to believe, would produce better 0-60 numbers....

• Like 1