Consumers criticize Ford's new technologies

I would say that MyFordTouch has issues you will probably find in any other touch sensitive device. The more you load it, the more it'll hang and "think" between processes. I get a laugh when someone says "Oh my Apple never crashed"...yeah, give it to me for a few minutes and you'll see how i'll MAKE it crash. The Navi system on my LS was pretty quick with touch. On the Lincoln Edge it's been ok with me, it does have a hang up here and there (and I purposedly try to crash it) but it catches up and gets to my intended command, but this is very very rare and I havent had the issues some other posters have had. I have seen a MFT but without Navi on it, and I would say that it was a bit quicker and didnt hang at all. My guess is maybe adding the Navi into it just overloads the system (common with Microsoft). Microsoft reminds me of the Honda Accord platform. The sucker starts light on the Accord, but they load it and beef it enough to make it into a truck and thats where it fails. But Ford needs to remedy this issue quickly. As for layout and being intuitive, its pretty easy to understand. Each corner represents a device yoru wanting to control, thats it!

I can't find it now, but just last week I recall reading a response, from Ford to a consumer, that a major MFT software upgrade was coming soon.

I just ordered a 2012 Focus with MFT. I'm really curious what my impressions will be.

That major software upgrade is for 2012 model year. I doubt it to be backwards compatible. If i'm wrong...all the better.

Navigation system will get some upgrades as well. Such as lane assist.

Well, I had my new 2012 Focus Titanium for a whole 4 days before MFT completely crashed. It is now at the dealership having it's APIM replaced. The complaints about MFT being "to complicated" is idiotic.

The only complaints should be about the crashes and the forced resets people have had to do by either pulling out a fuse or unplugging the battery or the cases like me(on focus fanatics there are a few) where the screen completely dies on you.

With that being said, as long as the update corrects all these issues and the new APIM module keeps my system alive for more than 4 days this time, I will be satisified. I love this car.

Edited by cappa

Aside from the Neat-O factor, how is this...

HVAC screen:

11_MyFordTouch_03_Climate_Screen_HR.jpg

Audio screen:

myford-touch-audio-screen.jpg

....a real improvement over the more traditional dials and buttons? I'm all for progress, but I also appreciate tactile feedback.

I realize you can show prettier graphics on a screen, but I think I'd have trouble driving on a busy interstate and trying to use a screen like that. It's almost like texting but on a larger scale.

Is this just a way to make the controls cheaper to manufacture?

....a real improvement over the more traditional dials and buttons? I'm all for progress, but I also appreciate tactile feedback.

I realize you can show prettier graphics on a screen, but I think I'd have trouble driving on a busy interstate and trying to use a screen like that. It's almost like texting but on a larger scale.

You do releaze that most of the buttons you would be fiddling with are on the steering wheel right? Which is even safer then moving your hand to adjust the radio?

I dunno about you, but normally don't play with all the buttons in the car...its either the AC is on or off with changing the fan speed if I need too.

You do releaze that most of the buttons you would be fiddling with are on the steering wheel right? Which is even safer then moving your hand to adjust the radio?

I dunno about you, but normally don't play with all the buttons in the car...its either the AC is on or off with changing the fan speed if I need too.

I'm not suggesting that I "play with all the buttons in the car", but if I want to make an adjustment, I'm usually doing it without looking. After 19 years with the same vehicle, it's easy to do. I suppose after that much time, a person would become accustomed to the distance he'd have to reach to touch the correct part of the screen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as the steering wheel, I can't imagine duplicating the controls for HVAC and radio on the wheel. But, I'm used to just having the cruise control there. The buttons are either concave or convex.

The new F350 we just got has all the cruise buttons in a very small area (left side) of the wheel. It's easy enough, but to add HVAC/radio to the wheel seems like it would get crowded like a scientific calculator.

As far as the steering wheel, I can't imagine duplicating the controls for HVAC and radio on the wheel. But, I'm used to just having the cruise control there. The buttons are either concave or convex.

If your getting MFT...I'm assuming the HVAC controls are automatic....set it for a temp and the car will heat/cool the car

My GF Escape has Sync and has all the auto controls on the right hand side and the cruise control on the left hand side....took some unlearing on my part to remember that all the cruise controls buttons where on the left side, since I'm used to having it on both side on every single Ford product I've owned.

I'm not suggesting that I "play with all the buttons in the car", but if I want to make an adjustment, I'm usually doing it without looking. After 19 years with the same vehicle, it's easy to do. I suppose after that much time, a person would become accustomed to the distance he'd have to reach to touch the correct part of the screen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

How many buttons would you need to replicate 4 different screens worth of adjustments? A lot. Or you'd need a lot of menu buttons and navigation which gets you back to the same problem. This is a lot neater.

The new F350 we just got has all the cruise buttons in a very small area (left side) of the wheel. It's easy enough, but to add HVAC/radio to the wheel seems like it would get crowded like a scientific calculator.

I have that in my 06 Fusion. Cruise on the left. On the right is

Volume +/-.

Seek +/-.

Media (cycles through inputs)

Temp +/-

Remember with MFT you have automatic HVAC so the only adjustment is temp up and down. It's not crowded at all.

HVAC

Radio

?

?

HVAC

Radio

Phone

Navigation

Each corner of the MFT screen represents those 4 functions, each with a different color. You'd have to replicate all those buttons for all those functions.

It's not just a few buttons for hvac and a few for the radio any more.

Methode Electronics, the supplier of the field-effect PCBs for MyFordTouch, says this:

A TouchSensor™ Technologies touch activated switch will be more expensive than a simple 25 cent tact switch. However, the economics are almost always still in TouchSensor’s™ favor when all system costs are taken into consideration. And, TouchSensor’s™ Field Effect™ technology allows you to offer your customers unique features that are not possible with tact switches. TouchSensor™ eliminates the need for multiple plastic switch buttons, eliminates the tooling cost for the buttons and other associated hardware, eliminates many parts in the overall instrument panel or center stack assembly, eliminates form, fit, and BSR concerns, eliminates concerns about liquids or dirt getting into the switches, and reduces or eliminates warranty costs due to switch failure. So, in addition to the styling flexibility and “wow factor” TouchSensor’s™ Field Effect™ technology provides, it can often result in an overall system cost that is equal to, or lower than, the cost of using tact switches.

Once you familiarize yourself, you can actually get what you want pretty quickly with minimal glances. I can load a playlist from my ipod, which takes about 4 menu screens, without glancing at the screen more than just to see it has changed to the next menu screen.

I mean really, if you wanted to put a button in there for everything the touch screen can do, you'd need the equivalent of about 8 QWERTY keyboards of buttons.

There is zero problem with the MFT interface, I think it's incredibly simple to use. Other than perhaps Navigation and the Phone you can control the radio and the A/C with knobs and buttons and some features are disabled while driving also everything can be controlled by your voice there you can even get the options for help with your voice.

Like I said before the only valid complaints about MFT is that there are glitches and failures abound with the system. My APIM module was replaced because MFT just died and I got the black screen of death. There are at least 3 others on Focus Fanatics who have had the same happen. Other are experiencing continous system mainteance screens and what not.

Edited by cappa

Once you familiarize yourself, you can actually get what you want pretty quickly with minimal glances. I can load a playlist from my ipod, which takes about 4 menu screens, without glancing at the screen more than just to see it has changed to the next menu screen.

I mean really, if you wanted to put a button in there for everything the touch screen can do, you'd need the equivalent of about 8 QWERTY keyboards of buttons.

No doubt. I'm not suggesting they have an entire keyboard, but for things likely to be adjusted while driving (radio volume/station and HVAC) I like the buttons, dials and sliders. Not big on steering wheel controls (aside for the aformentioned cruise control), but I suppose having never had them, I haven't developed an appreciation.

I can certainly see touch screens for things that are more likely to be used while the vehicle isn't in motion (Nav, phone). I realize part of the point of the phone interface is hands-free, so that's why I included that. My wife's Hyundai has a touch screen for the radio, nav, and phone, and does the voice-activation on the phone pretty well, I'll admit. The HVAC is separate, and even though it is automatic, I still tend to use it in manual mode when I'm driving..

That said, the single touch screen thing seems a little too "putting all your eggs in one basket". Perhaps if they had multiple screens? (Maybe they do already, I have no experience with MFT) That way when one malfunctions you haven't lost all functionality.

Sidenote, for awhile I couldn't figure out what people were talking about when they said "MFT". As far as I was concerned it was an abbreviation of Microsoft.

Edited by RangerM

That said, the single touch screen thing seems a little too "putting all your eggs in one basket". Perhaps if they had multiple screens? (Maybe they do already, I have no experience with MFT) That way when one malfunctions you haven't lost all functionality.

MFT does have multiple screens, but why would that change anything? Its sorta like having two buttons to do EVERYTHING in a car...just incase. If MFT goes, its just like a button going on a car...plus from what I understand there are old fashioned buttons for important stuff on the car anyways...

Look at this shot of the Edge:

ford-edge5.jpg

Focus ST

ford_2012-focus-st-preview-7.jpg

From Focus Fanatics:

A fellow user over there has had the new MFT update put on his car already.

My car was taken back to the Michigan Assembly plant on Wednesday because the exterior fit and finish looked terrible. The doors were misaligned and the sheet metal didn't fit right. Luckily, the dealership I bought the car from is both huge and very close to the plant, not Jack Demmer close though. Tonight I'll post pictures the difference in the sheet metal before and after.

However, something that I think is more important, because it affects more people also occured. The factory updated my MFT/Sync! When I went to pick the car up, a factory rep and the service manager gave me a walk through of the exterior fixes, as well as an explanation of the MFT/Sync update. My car received the July/August update that is coming out to fix the slow response times, random reboots, and screen freezes. So far life has been so much better. I no longer hate my car. I no longer worry that my wife will call me on I-94 in Detroit with a frozen Nav. I have not really noticed changes in the background or look of MFT, just the usability. Both the touch screen and voice commands are smoother and less frustrating. Hopefully July will mark the end of all these problems that everyone has experienced. Let me know if any of you have any questions.

Edited by cappa
  • Like 1

MyTouch software problem is in fact a actual car-issue. When folks pay for a vehicle that has it, it should work flawlessly, just like any other part of the car. Nobody should have to put up with any quirks.

I have no doubt, that ford is contiuing it's software upgrades in order for it to work properly, and as expected by customers.

I agree with you. If I got a dell computer for $500 and the computer have some flaw. I will be unhappy, but I will not be really mad. But if I spent $30,000 to buy a car, the progam related to LCD screen in the car has flaw, I will be really really mad, especially the flaw occurs during the driving. When dealer tell me that the LCD controlled everything from automatic phone call to air conditional, I will be really scared to death.

• Like 1

I recently test drove a Titanium Focus, and during that time I spent about 10 minutes navigating through MyTouch. I found it both intuitive, and responsiveness was about on par with the screen of an iPhone.

To take it one step further, I found this easier to use than the I-Drive in our 5 Series. Items that I found essential were not buried in a sub-menu of a menu in a category. For as long as these system has been around, you would think BMW would have it down to a science. We've had our F10 535 for about a year now and we've run into a host of issues with I-Drive (I've never used a navigation system that takes as long as this system does to calculate and re-calculate routes).

If my experience with the Focus is any indicative of anything, I'd say Ford has their ducks in a row.

• Like 1

No doubt. I'm not suggesting they have an entire keyboard, but for things likely to be adjusted while driving (radio volume/station and HVAC) I like the buttons, dials and sliders. Not big on steering wheel controls (aside for the aformentioned cruise control), but I suppose having never had them, I haven't developed an appreciation.

In the Edge there are redundant controls beneath the touch screen for volume, track/seek, audio power, A/C, front/rear defrost, auto climate, temperature, and fan speed.