Econoline ever going to change?

I am trying to find out what and when Ford plans on dealing with the E-Series. Lots of speculation over the past few years but all fluff to me. I just passed up a great deal on a E-wagon with the Quigley 4x4 added for my family mover. I am having second thoughts on that now but am trying to tell myself that better options are near. I am really shocked that they didnt offer the new F150 engines for 2012 but I guess there are probably lots of 5.4's laying around yet.

Does anyone have new info on the E-series' future?

-Matt

It's generally expected (but not confirmed) that the E-Series wagons will merge with the Transit, while the E-Series cab/chassis and cutaways are updated but remain separate from the Transits.

Ford has also reportedly delayed the launch of the new Transit by over a year, likely because the merger of the Transit & E-wagons (which has been studied off and on over the last 30+ years) is proving to be more difficult than expected.

The Transit will be built along side the E-series. The Transit will start off with a small volume, And increase if sales dictate the need to up production. E-series volume will go down. E series may not be around for much longer if that happens.

The Transit will be built along side the E-series. The Transit will start off with a small volume, And increase if sales dictate the need to up production. E-series volume will go down. E series may not be around for much longer if that happens.

IMO with a fuel efficient powertrain (Ecoboost), the E series will be in service for a long time. Its been 50 years since the Econoline came out and there are many loyal business owners (and their offspring) who earned a living thanks to the rugged qualities of the E. Also as I have said before, the fact that Nissan has elected to come out with a vehicle that is very similar says a lot about the market for a rugged RWD, BOF vehicle.

Also as I have said before, the fact that Nissan has elected to come out with a vehicle that is very similar says a lot about the market for a rugged RWD, BOF vehicle.

I dunno at the same time I think it was more or less an oh crap moment....keep in mind I'd say the Titan isn't long for this world if its sales keep at the rate they are going...and NV is built off that platform also.

I am trying to find out what and when Ford plans on dealing with the E-Series. Lots of speculation over the past few years but all fluff to me. I just passed up a great deal on a E-wagon with the Quigley 4x4 added for my family mover. I am having second thoughts on that now but am trying to tell myself that better options are near. I am really shocked that they didnt offer the new F150 engines for 2012 but I guess there are probably lots of 5.4's laying around yet.

Does anyone have new info on the E-series' future?

-Matt

I don't know whether Ford V10 can be the future of E Series

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20070713/FREE/70711005

Why is a E-Series cab configuration necessary with the F-Series equivalent available? What advantages does the E-Series cutaway cab provide over a SuperDuty? I've noticed within the last decade that the E-Series cutaways have given way to the SuperDuty.

If Ford is primarily selling white vans, then I'm sure they can better service the market with a more spacious and fuel efficient alternative, assuming it's well received. Ford may move more aggressively to simplify their van cost structure globally if this is a fleet-item that doesn't' earn them tremendous returns. Volume doesn't always mean profit.

IMO with a fuel efficient powertrain (Ecoboost), the E series will be in service for a long time. Its been 50 years since the Econoline came out and there are many loyal business owners (and their offspring) who earned a living thanks to the rugged qualities of the E. Also as I have said before, the fact that Nissan has elected to come out with a vehicle that is very similar says a lot about the market for a rugged RWD, BOF vehicle.

e-150 and 250 are gone burger......funnily enough their sales are completely stagnant right now...seems theres a new Sherrif in town regarding "light duty"....he gfos by the name Transit Connect. Expect the full size transit to slot in when the E-150/ 250 go sayonara. And consequently the CAFE rating will substantially improve....

Why is a E-Series cab configuration necessary with the F-Series equivalent available? What advantages does the E-Series cutaway cab provide over a SuperDuty? I've noticed within the last decade that the E-Series cutaways have given way to the SuperDuty.

I would assume the E 350 chassis cab is shorter than the F350 chassis cab. Also the one I drove in college had a walk-through from the front to the cargo box. Don't think that would be as easy with a F350 chassis cab.

I would assume the E 350 chassis cab is shorter than the F350 chassis cab. Also the one I drove in college had a walk-through from the front to the cargo box. Don't think that would be as easy with a F350 chassis cab.

bingo, think cutaway cube vans Borg...little more difficult squeezing through a sliding rear window than a walk through door....unless you enjoy dousing yourself in crisco oil you kinky bugger...

Exactly, overall length and the height of the E-Series cab allows easier pass thru to the cargo box. That's also why it's so popular for Class C motorhomes. If Ford could redesign the Super Duty cab to be kind of like the old Chevy Kodiak (see below, it basically just used the Chevy van cutaway cab), then theoretically, Ford could merge the Super Duty and E350/E450 together.

2005-chevrolet-kodiak2-300x225.jpg

Just cut the whole back of the F series cab off to get a similar effect with less headroom - Paccar does it with their "T" series KW's and almost all of their Peterbilts for accessing the sleeper compartment.

I would bet the floor to cab roof dimension on ANY class 8 truck is about a foot taller than a Super Duty cab. That is one reason the 650/750 gets some negative press--"its a pick up cab".

I dunno at the same time I think it was more or less an oh crap moment....keep in mind I'd say the Titan isn't long for this world if its sales keep at the rate they are going...and NV is built off that platform also.

Well you might be right about the Titan, but I have a hard time thinking Nissan put all that money into the NV if in fact the platform was going to die. Others have suggested it was because of the Titan's poor numbers that the NV was pushed forward to try to get some economies of scale. We shall see.

While many have suggested the Transit and its high cube is the way to go, I think there is still a substantial market for a heavy duty van that can take the off road punishment that a RWD can handle-without a lot of maintenance. Plus not all applications need cube. Many users are dealing with denser loads and also the need for mounted equipment-for example a bucket. (Comcast, Verizon etc.)

While many point out the success of the TC, hopefully misapplication will not earn it a bad rap. I pointed out in another thread that I parked next to a guy one day and I asked him how he liked it. Quick answer was he hated it. Didn't have room for everything he needed and he felt like he was taking his life in his hands when ever he pulled onto a limited access highway. I asked him what the truck replaced? Answer- E-350- DUH!! I'm sure his boss looked at the low initial cost and said..."this will work". Many bad fleet decisions have been driven by that theory.

The TC is a great little vehicle. Just don't send it to do a big truck's job!

If Ford is primarily selling white vans, then I'm sure they can better service the market with a more spacious and fuel efficient alternative, assuming it's well received. Ford may move more aggressively to simplify their van cost structure globally if this is a fleet-item that doesn't' earn them tremendous returns. Volume doesn't always mean profit.

1: The F-Series "equivalent" isn't. There's more space available on the E-Series cab/chassis, the E-Series works as a cutaway, the E-Series has a lower load floor.

2: E-Series cab/chassis may to some extent be replaced by F-Series cab/chassis, but there is no way the E-Series cutaway business has gone to F-Series. There's no F-Series cutaway.

3: It's my understanding that the bulk of Ford's E-Series business is in business other than wagons.

4: Ford has repeatedly looked at unifying their global van architecture. If this was a case of 'low hanging fruit', it would've been done years ago.

I suppose a Transit van cutaway would do an even better job distinguishing itself with a taller cab and much lower load floor than the current E-Series.

and slot in perfectly where the current e-150/250 reside....keep the E-350 and up for heavy duty GVW needs....

Ford would be stupid to not keep the E going after all these years. I'm assuming they make a boat load off of each sale and fleets and companies continue to buy them. Invest in powertrain updates (eco, 5.0, 6.2) 6 speed tranny, and other small updates and it will sell for another 5-10 years. My parents bought one because my sister's in a wheelchair and since they abandoned the minivan market it was our only choice. Sorry, a Transit Connect with it's tin can construction and wimpy engine, is no match for wheel chair bound adults. It couldn't even get out of it's own way loaded up. I'll take the $100 fill-ups and 13 MPG and be able to stand up inside, load it up with suitcases, hook up a trailer and drive to Florida in the fall like we do.

Ford would be stupid to not keep the E going after all these years. I'm assuming they make a boat load off of each sale and fleets and companies continue to buy them. Invest in powertrain updates (eco, 5.0, 6.2) 6 speed tranny, and other small updates and it will sell for another 5-10 years. My parents bought one because my sister's in a wheelchair and since they abandoned the minivan market it was our only choice. Sorry, a Transit Connect with it's tin can construction and wimpy engine, is no match for wheel chair bound adults. It couldn't even get out of it's own way loaded up. I'll take the $100 fill-ups and 13 MPG and be able to stand up inside, load it up with suitcases, hook up a trailer and drive to Florida in the fall like we do.

Some Clarification:

Ford Transit

ford-transit-vans-used.jpg

Transit Connect

2011_ford_transit_connect-pic-8425460869515005665-4df9b98fe7f50.jpeg

The Transit is a van much like the Econoline...

Edited by silvrsvt

It's generally expected (but not confirmed) that the E-Series wagons will merge with the Transit, ...

"Merge" ? Club Wagon and E150/250 are "dead men walking". From what I have heard there is no plans for the Tourneo (the Transit equivalent of a Club Wagon) in the US.

... while the E-Series cab/chassis and cutaways are updated but remain separate from the Transits.

"Updated ?" What, another new and uglier grill ? Yes, only the E350/450 cutaway will survive.

Ford has also reportedly delayed the launch of the new Transit by over a year, likely because the merger of the Transit & E-wagons (which has been studied off and on over the last 30+ years) is proving to be more difficult than expected.

Delayed yes. Wrong reason.

If you want a heavy duty people mover, order one now. Ford has no plans to update either the engine or transmission on the E-series until after the E150/250 are dropped. The 5.4L dies, but the 6.8L lives on. E-series stuck with 2 valve.