Widening GM Truck Supply Looks Like 2008 Again

TomServo92

After GM’s truck inventory swelled to 122 days worth of average sales, the company said 100 to 110 will be normal going forward for such a large and complex line of vehicles, compared with 60 to 70 days for most models. Peter Nesvold, a Jefferies & Co. analyst, isn’t convinced. Ford Motor Co. (F), which makes similar trucks, is running at 79 days, and Nesvold says GM averaged 78 days on hand at year end from 2002 to 2010.

“It’s unbelievable that after this huge taxpayer bailout and the bankruptcy that we’re right back to where we were,” Nesvold, who has a “hold” rating on the stock, said in a telephone interview. “There’s no credibility.” In a research note he asked: “Is GM falling into old, bad habits?”

Source

GM never broke their old, bad habits.

The company I work for just bought me a brand new 2011 1500 Silverado. We were shopping for an F150 but the boss said that all our local Ford dealers would hardly budge from the $23+_K price for a standard work truck. A local Chevy dealer sold him my new $23K truck for under $17K!!! Apparently Ford does NOT need to discount the standard F150s because the lots are empty of them. After driving this Chevy for a few days, I can see why they are "giving" them away! The 4.3 V6 is a lump, it is missing 110 HP that the Ford has, it is missing 2 spds in the tranny, no room behind the seat and I ended up with a shortbed vs. a Ford longbed. Shouldn't be long that GM will be back in court because of lack of operating cash. UNbelievable!! My Dad always said..."Tie a rope around the neck of a calf, give him enough rope, he'll try to jump the fence and he will hang himself"!! I just hope I don't have to tell my boss "I told you so"!

The company I work for just bought me a brand new 2011 1500 Silverado. We were shopping for an F150 but the boss said that all our local Ford dealers would hardly budge from the $23+_K price for a standard work truck. A local Chevy dealer sold him my new $23K truck for under $17K!!! Apparently Ford does NOT need to discount the standard F150s because the lots are empty of them. After driving this Chevy for a few days, I can see why they are "giving" them away! The 4.3 V6 is a lump, it is missing 110 HP that the Ford has, it is missing 2 spds in the tranny, no room behind the seat and I ended up with a shortbed vs. a Ford longbed. Shouldn't be long that GM will be back in court because of lack of operating cash. UNbelievable!! My Dad always said..."Tie a rope around the neck of a calf, give him enough rope, he'll try to jump the fence and he will hang himself"!! I just hope I don't have to tell my boss "I told you so"!

The 6 speed is available on the next motor size (5.3). For 17K it sounds like a bargain, regardless of the 4 speed tranny. Also, the work truck is standard with Onstar, as are all other models.

Nothing should have a 4 speed auto at this stage of the game I don't care if it was 17K or not. Put the 6 speed in there and sell it at 19k or something. Even with that ancient engine a 6 speed would really make a difference.

You might want to pass that onto Toyota as well. The Corolla, Matrix and Yaris still have 4 speeds.

The 6 speed is available on the next motor size (5.3). For 17K it sounds like a bargain, regardless of the 4 speed tranny. Also, the work truck is standard with Onstar, as are all other models.

There is no Onstar in my truck. 2011 standard Silverado lists it as an option. $17K sounds like a bargain because the more I drive it, the more I am convinced that is all it is worth. Nice seats, A/C and nice ride...that's about it!! Highway mileage 40 miles one way comes out to 15.5 MPG, empty @ about 65mph. No better than my old 2000 GMC Sierra 4.3 with 144K miles. I only wished the company would have tried a standard F150 work truck to compare with the 8 problematic GMs that we have in our pickup fleet.

Edited by boominup

There is no Onstar in my truck. 2011 standard Silverado lists it as an option. $17K sounds like a bargain because the more I drive it, the more I am convinced that is all it is worth. Nice seats, A/C and nice ride...that's about it!! Highway mileage 40 miles one way comes out to 15.5 MPG, empty @ about 65mph. No better than my old 2000 GMC Sierra 4.3 with 144K miles. I only wished the company would have tried a standard F150 work truck to compare with the 8 problematic GMs that we have in our pickup fleet.

You are right about Onstar, my mistake. Onstar is standard ON ALL BUT the work truck trim.

It begs the question, would you buy a Silverado for $17,000 or is it better to look at a slightly smaller truck

like Ranger/Colorado/ Tacoma and get even more savings and fuel economy..........

If you need a truck strictly for an 8' bed, then full size is the way to do it. Otherwise, if the smaller trucks had them. I'd buy one... otherwise, their just too small for my use. That goes for Rangers as well.

Highway mileage 40 miles one way comes out to 15.5 MPG, empty @ about 65mph. No better than my old 2000 GMC Sierra 4.3 with 144K miles.

My brother-in-law had a ~2004 GMC shortbed with the 4.3. 14 MPG was a "good day" (according to him).

Just filled up my Ranger this morning. The 4.0/5-spd is 18 years old and has 180,100 miles, and got 23.6 mpg on that last fill-up. (I did just replace the MAF and the original factory plugs and wires a couple of weeks ago.)

Edited by RangerM

Then it's not really a bargain is it?

If GM's pricing assumptions are that out of line, well, it's deja vu all over again.

Ford dealers would have negotiated down about $2K plus low interest loans...if I would have had my druthers, I'da bought the Ford and not blinked at the difference in price. I test drove a 2011 F150 standard work truck with the 3.7 V6 before my boss handed me the keys to the Chevy and the two trucks are worlds apart. Times are tough, and everyone is trying to stretch the dollar as far as possible. I shouldn't complain because they treat me like gold and I'm pretty happy with my position.

Ford dealers would have negotiated down about $2K plus low interest loans...if I would have had my druthers, I'da bought the Ford and not blinked at the difference in price. I test drove a 2011 F150 standard work truck with the 3.7 V6 before my boss handed me the keys to the Chevy and the two trucks are worlds apart. Times are tough, and everyone is trying to stretch the dollar as far as possible. I shouldn't complain because they treat me like gold and I'm pretty happy with my position.

I'm sure that 3.7 powerteam made that 4.3 look absolutely silly

• 1 month later...

GM will be in trouble in no time. The only good product they are putting out is Cadillac, specifically the CTS lineup. Their business strategy for their other brands is horrible. Was looking at a Silverado 2500 and the only incentive was the deep discounts. Ended up ordering an F150 which had to be ordered. The Silverado would have been easily had as Chevy lots have been filled all year long. They're not moving their trucks.

GM needed a bailout because their product is inferior to the competition and their business practices are antiquated. They dumped money into the Volt hoping it would be their savior and all they can do is standby demanding for higher gas prices because they think then people will buy the Volt. Except people won't, because it's overpriced and the Prius is a far better product.

There are I4s with more HP. And there are V8s with better MPG.

It's not hard to make the 4.3 look silly, evidently.

The 5.3 in the Chevy has DOD (displacement on demand) and can really up the mpg on the highway. The 6 speed transmission (while not the moist refined) also helps the mpg.

The Chevy is a good truck that can be had alot less than the Ford. I have had mine 3 months and I couldn't get a Ford F150 anywhere close to the price.

I really liked rear seat room (crewcab) in the Ford.

Edited by CKNSLS

The 5.3 in the Chevy has DOD (displacement on demand) and can really up the mpg on the highway. The 6 speed transmission (while not the moist refined) also helps the mpg.

The Chevy is a good truck that can be had alot less than the Ford. I have had mine 3 months and I couldn't get a Ford F150 anywhere close to the price.

I really liked rear seat room (crewcab) in the Ford.

In 2WD guise, the Silverado and the F150 get exactly the same MPGs... but the 5.3 is down on power and torque to the 5.0.

Hard to believe that the 5.3 is the 2nd most powerful engine available in the Silverado... they don't even mention the 4.3L V6 or the 4.8L V8. It's almost like they're... ashamed of them. :stirpot:

(ETA: can't count ordinals anymore)

Edited by papilgee4evaeva