Explorer VS Durango commercial

Durango's rear wheel or AWD platform is best for towing.

Explorer's lighter front wheel drive Taurus platform carryover is more fuel efficent.

The Durango is a strong old school SUV, the Explorer is the best Taurus station wagon ever.

And that's just the way it is. :stirpot:

The Durango is uni-body just as the Explorer is which can also be had in AWD.

You haven't proven that the Durango can out-tow the Explorer when it makes less torque, has taller gearing, and is heavier.

The Durango is being heralded because of it's 'faithful' lineage of times long past and that's the very generation-y, baby-booming intransigent mentality that Ford needs to ignore and thankfully, the Explorer sales numbers are proof that you old-thinking people don't matter anymore.

McDonalds...billions served must be the best!

Wendy's...Billions less than Mcdonalds, must be the best! :hysterical: Terrible logic.

I'm so glad my grandfather isn't running Ford :hysterical:

Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 1

The Durango is uni-body just as the Explorer is which can also be had in AWD.

You haven't proven that the Durango can out-tow the Explorer when it makes less torque, has taller gearing, and is heavier.

The Durango is being heralded because of it's 'faithful' lineage of times long past and that's the very generation-y, baby-booming intransigent mentality that Ford needs to ignore and thankfully, the Explorer sales numbers are proof that you old-thinking people don't matter anymore.

Wendy's...Billions less than Mcdonalds, must be the best! :hysterical: Terrible logic.

I'm so glad my grandfather isn't running Ford :hysterical:

Actually Wendy's is a lot better then McDonalds. I thought that was common knowledge.

...and let's be real. Do you REALLY think that when the Explorer gets the EB 4 banger they won't be touting the incredible fuel mileage in comparison to the V6 Durango (and any other mid/full size V6 SUV/CUV)? I'm sure you guys will be shouting to the heavens that is an unfair comparison since nobody else offers a 4 cyl turbocharged engine.... yeah.....right? Ahhhhh.....no.

Every automaker is going to tout the strengths of their products and not make mention of any features they don't compare favorably to.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Actually Wendy's is a lot better then McDonalds. I thought that was common knowledge.

...and let's be real. Do you REALLY think that when the Explorer gets the EB 4 banger they won't be touting the incredible fuel mileage in comparison to the V6 Durango (and any other mid/full size V6 SUV/CUV)? I'm sure you guys will be shouting to the heavens that is an unfair comparison since nobody else offers a 4 cyl turbocharged engine.... yeah.....right? Ahhhhh.....no.

Every automaker is going to tout the strengths of their products and not make mention of any features they don't compare favorably to.

Analogies aren't mean to be taken for face value...

Besides, that's not what I'm disputing here. My problem is with the notion that the Durango tows better because it's rated better, when in actuality, the numbers prove that the Explorer should carry it's rating much better than the Durango.

You're not buying either if you're doing serious towing anyway. If you need to tow, buy an Expedition... Does Dodge have a vehicle that competes in that segment? So aside from subjectivity, there's really no reason to consider a Dodge SUV.

Other than that, I have no contention with this ad. It's a good ad, though not very convincing given the sales. :ohsnap:

Besides, that's not what I'm disputing here. My problem is with the notion that the Durango tows better because it's rated better, when in actuality, the numbers prove that the Explorer should carry it's rating much better than the Durango.

You're not buying either if you're doing serious towing anyway. If you need to tow, buy an Expedition... Does Dodge have a vehicle that competes in that segment? So aside from subjectivity, there's really no reason to consider a Dodge SUV.

Other than that, I have no contention with this ad. It's a good ad, though not very convincing given the sales. :ohsnap:

So I should buy a vehicle an entire size class (and price class) up to do the same job just because its a Dodge?

I think you missed the point of the ad. Best towing in it's class. (IE. "You want a mid-sized SUV and also tow, here ya go, we have the best vehicle for you." Not "Hey, want to pull the moon out of orbit and tow a large house? Get this huge vehicle you don't actually need."

That's like saying the Explorer has the best mpg in it's class, but because the RAV4 gets slightly better fuel economy, I'd better get that instead. People don't shop that way nor do automakers market that way.

• Like 1

So I should buy a vehicle an entire size class (and price class) up to do the same job just because its a Dodge?

I think you missed the point of the ad. Best towing in it's class. (IE. "You want a mid-sized SUV and also tow, here ya go, we have the best vehicle for you." Not "Hey, want to pull the moon out of orbit and tow a large house? Get this huge vehicle you don't actually need."

That's like saying the Explorer has the best mpg in it's class, but because the RAV4 gets slightly better fuel economy, I'd better get that instead. People don't shop that way nor do automakers market that way.

The point you're missing is that the V6 Durango can't compete with the V6 Explorer, why else would they make an ad boasting about it's capabilities with a much larger, thirstier engine?

Yes, the V8 tows better than the V6(I already appealed to this earlier, did you not read it?) I don't quite understand your analogy, the Rav4 doesn't offer the same capabilities as any variant of the Explorer which the Durango does... Which is my point...

People shop for the most capable while being the most fuel efficient and the V8 Durango isn't efficient and the V6 Durango isn't as capable.

Surely you're not implying that Ford doesn't have the market figured out when the Explorer consistently sales double what the Durango does despite both being brand new for the model year...

• Like 1

People shop for the most capable while being the most fuel efficient and the V8 Durango isn't efficient and the V6 Durango isn't as capable.

Who is this "people" you are referring to? Where are the metrics that support this?

People buy the vehicle that best meets their needs and (for some) have an emotional aspiration to own.

Don't take the ads out of context or take this personally. The ads refer to the Durango being the best tower in it's class. No mention of "best fuel economy" or "making things fair" because the competition doesn't offer a V8. That's the point!

You can argue the merits of a 32 second ad all night and day and try to spin it off into sales figures...but does that change what they were marketing or who they were marketing to.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Who is this "people" you are referring to? Where are the metrics that support this?

People buy the vehicle that best meets their needs and (for some) have an emotional aspiration to own.

Don't take the ads out of context or take this personally. The ads refer to the Durango being the best tower in it's class. No mention of "best fuel economy" or "making things fair" because the competition doesn't offer a V8. That's the point!

You can argue the merits of a 32 second ad all night and day and try to spin it off into sales figures...but does that change what they were marketing or who they were marketing to.

Common sense is the metric that supports it... Do you really take issue with the statement that people want versatility and fuel efficiency?

You're accusing me of looking at this from the wrong perspective and telling me to not take it out of context when I just stated that people don't buy cars based on one metric and the commercial is judging the competition based on one metric: towing. The entire comparison is already out of context.

Sorry but the sales figures prove that people want capability and fuel efficiency, the best of both worlds which the Durango lacks.

The point is stupidly made and is one of the reasons why Chrysler nearly went under and why Ford didn't... Its funny how good business decision reflect in the products that you sell.

I'm not really concerned with pigeonholing the context of the commercial because it's only rationale within THAT context.

So perhaps you're right... I guess it doesn't change who they were marketing to, even if they're the same narrow-minded loyalist cretins that buy into the bullshit marketing.

Peace!

• Like 1

I like the Durango commercial because its another opportunity to see the Explorer on TV. In all seriousness though, it seems like the kind of commercial that would only appeal to the person who has already decided on a Durango. If towing is important, then that person probably already researched the capabilities and decided what tow rating they need and whether the Explorer meets that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that towing is sorta a check-the-box type of feature. Either it meets your needs (if any) or it doesn't. Thus, the vehicle is either on your shopping list, or it isn't. But I'm not impressed simply because it can tow more. Most people who get an Explorer don't care at all about towing.

The Durango is a strong old school SUV, the Explorer is the best Taurus station wagon ever.

And that's just the way it is. :stirpot:

So, you have engineering data somewhere that says the Durango unibody is better and stronger in every way than the Explorer unibody? Can you present that data pleses? Thank you!

Most people have no idea how much 6000lbs on a trailer hitch is. Towing, like many other things is something you don't want to do without a margin of error. If I was towing 6000lbs I would consider nothing less than an F150 or Expedition/Tahoe sized vehicle. If you read the manual, it will tell you that actual towing capacity is max minus passengers and load. That easily brings the actual safe towing down 1000lbs or more. I would say that safe, real world towing with the Explorer is 3500 - 4000 max and the Durango V6 about 4000 max. 4K lbs is pretty darn big RV. This argument is really not worth having. Dodge is advertising to the "that thing got a hemi" crowd, who are already thier customers. Some women might even be turned off by the "macho' advertising style. Ford will happily take thier money.

Common sense is the metric that supports it... Do you really take issue with the statement that people want versatility and fuel efficiency?

You're accusing me of looking at this from the wrong perspective and telling me to not take it out of context when I just stated that people don't buy cars based on one metric and the commercial is judging the competition based on one metric: towing. The entire comparison is already out of context.

Sorry but the sales figures prove that people want capability and fuel efficiency, the best of both worlds which the Durango lacks.

The point is stupidly made and is one of the reasons why Chrysler nearly went under and why Ford didn't... Its funny how good business decision reflect in the products that you sell.

I'm not really concerned with pigeonholing the context of the commercial because it's only rationale within THAT context.

So perhaps you're right... I guess it doesn't change who they were marketing to, even if they're the same narrow-minded loyalist cretins that buy into the bullshit marketing.

Peace!

Lighten up Francis.

• Like 3

....or the ones who argue about it?

Cheers. :)

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle

We're entertaining thoughts, not arguing! :idea:

Fun Fact: Ford is the top selling utility automaker in the US with nearly 300k utility vehicles sold and the year isn't even over yet... I wonder how many chassis overlap sales there are(i.e: Explorer, Flex, Taurus). Close to 200k if not more.

Edited by GT-Keith

So, you have engineering data somewhere that says the Durango unibody is better and stronger in every way than the Explorer unibody? Can you present that data pleses? Thank you!

Most people have no idea how much 6000lbs on a trailer hitch is. Towing, like many other things is something you don't want to do without a margin of error. If I was towing 6000lbs I would consider nothing less than an F150 or Expedition/Tahoe sized vehicle. If you read the manual, it will tell you that actual towing capacity is max minus passengers and load. That easily brings the actual safe towing down 1000lbs or more. I would say that safe, real world towing with the Explorer is 3500 - 4000 max and the Durango V6 about 4000 max. 4K lbs is pretty darn big RV. This argument is really not worth having. Dodge is advertising to the "that thing got a hemi" crowd, who are already thier customers. Some women might even be turned off by the "macho' advertising style. Ford will happily take thier money.

Do you have engineering data that proves a front wheel drive transaxle is the best platform for towing? If so call Ford and tell them to make the next generation SuperDuty front wheel drive! Thank you.

IF Ford would have made the investment of a modern, high tech, fully off road capable dedicated SUV platform like the Jeep Grand Cherokee / Durango we would not be having this discussion. IF Ford would have brought more than just a bigger better Freestyle it would be taken seriously by people that could use a refined yet off road capable SUV.

That said, I agree Ford has found a large number of buyers who either do not need the capability or do not know the Explorer is just the biggest Taurus ever. Is that a bad thing? Hell no! Ford is laughing all the way to the bank. Personally I wouldnt buy an Explorer if I needed to replace my Grand Cherokee (which I dont) just like I wouldnt buy a Camry if I wanted a sedan even though they are both very popular...but that's just me.

• Like 1

Buyers are voting with their feet and with just one engine, Explorer is nearly double Durango's sales

By the way, how far ahead is Ford when you compare the Explorer / MKT sales volume vs the Grand Cherokee / Durango combined, platform vs platform.

By the way, how far ahead is Ford when you compare the Explorer / MKT sales volume vs the Grand Cherokee / Durango combined, platform vs platform.

Slippery slope, as the Grand Cherokee is a much less expensive, higher volume product than the MKT. I'd also argue that the Flex should be contained in your list as well, though I believe the Durango/GC combined would still outsell the Explorer/Flex/MKT. Neither can touch combined sales of the Lambadas. For such a mediocre, dated line of crossovers, those things sell like crazy.

• Like 1

Now, one thing I have to say is the most silly thing in these new ads for the Durango and Grand Cherokee are the "best driving range in its class" claim. Who gives a crap? I could tow a 500 gallon trailer of gasoline behind my Mustang and make it have the "best driving range in its class". :hysterical:

Now, one thing I have to say is the most silly thing in these new ads for the Durango and Grand Cherokee are the "best driving range in its class" claim. Who gives a crap? I could tow a 500 gallon trailer of gasoline behind my Mustang and make it have the "best driving range in its class". :hysterical:

IMO, it's a sly attempt to imply a degree of fuel efficiency.