Explorer VS Durango commercial

who care about dodge/Fix It Again Tommarro.they got a bailout,and their cars dont last.as a matter of fact,they make throw away cars. :hysterical:

Excellent well thought out response! I wish more people really sifted through the facts and had non-biased posts like this. Your distinct blend of humor and well-researched data lead me to believe that you are actually an automotive journalist by day. I look forward to more of your commentary in the future.

Did anyone bother to read the fine print at the bottom of the video?

It says that each vehicle was equipped with their most powerful available engines... 390lb-ft V8 vs. 275lb-ft V6 with FWD.

Does that mean they'll do a rematch if the Explorer gets a 3.5L ecoboost? :-D

(not that anyone has speculated it will, AFAIK)

Did anyone bother to read the fine print at the bottom of the video?

It says that each vehicle was equipped with their most powerful available engines... 390lb-ft V8 vs. 275lb-ft V6 with FWD.

I think that was the point of the video. Both vehicles (as best equipped for towing) shows which is the clearly better tow vehicle. I'd love to see a rematch once the EB comes out.

Have to say those are great ads.

But they neglected to mention that this is what happens in the Dodge when it's towing.

Now that would make a funny commercial.

Somebody PLEASE make a youtube video, that,

show the last 5 sec. of the 2nd Durango commercial, where Explorer is towed. Then showing on the same road, the caravan is coming back, only the Explorer is towing everything. And at the very end, you guessed it, a smoking Durango with its hood open.

The Voice Over, "Now we know why Dodge brought the Explorer along for the ride. THE SUV IS BACK!"

"The SUV is back" It merely reminds people of why they got rid of their old gas guzzling SUVs in the first place.

Actually, I think the ad's attacking the whole "Momplorer" thing is really clever. I think Dodge consumers love that kind of thing.

---

You guys should check really all the new Durango ads. They're great. Any ad that talks about post-apocalyptic mercenaries with crossbows and hockey sticks is wins in my book. Whoever Chrysler has that is doing their ads, they're not paying them enough.

• Like 2

Actually, I think the ad's attacking the whole "Momplorer" thing is really clever. I think Dodge consumers love that kind of thing.

Yeah, but Dodge doesn't need to appeal to Dodge consumers. They need to appeal to all those who have been part of the mass exodus from Dodge over the past decade.

I think these ads are effective. And since my buddies know I am a Ford guy, I expect to take some ridicule when these go mainstream.

You have to careful how you advertise, this is the reason why:

I was chatting with a few road bike buddies recently and we were talking about our being out there on the shoulder, defenseless and overall driver courtesy - the comment was made; “…you can almost feel who is going to harass you, before it actually happens…” and everyone blurted out nearly simultaneously “Dodge trucks”. I attribute this to the way they were advertised over the past 10 years. The “that thing got a hemi” redneck guy was a big hit, and everyone remembers those ads, but this is the type of person who actually ends up buying the trucks. I think that Dodge is comfortable to continue this same image going forward with these Durango ads.

I strongly agree with Nick in the post above, they are advertising to their own.

And, one more comment - Nobody acually reads the fine print in ads, especially on TV.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I think these ads are effective. And since my buddies know I am a Ford guy, I expect to take some ridicule when these go mainstream.

You have to careful how you advertise, this is the reason why:

I was chatting with a few road bike buddies recently and we were talking about our being out there on the shoulder, defenseless and overall driver courtesy - the comment was made; “…you can almost feel who is going to harass you, before it actually happens…” and everyone blurted out nearly simultaneously “Dodge trucks”. I attribute this to the way they were advertised over the past 10 years. The “that thing got a hemi” redneck guy was a big hit, and everyone remembers those ads, but this is the type of person who actually ends up buying the trucks. I think that Dodge is comfortable to continue this same image going forward with these Durango ads.

I strongly agree with Nick in the post above, they are advertising to their own.

And, one more comment - Nobody acually reads the fine print in ads, especially on TV.

Watch the other ads (there's around 10-12).....they are actually very good (and no, they don't mention any other brands). The ones mentioned here are getting the attention because the Explorer. However the other ones are even better. Sure they are humorous, but also informative. Getting Michael C. Hall was to do the Dodge ads was brilliant. That "straight man" delivery against the comic lines are great. "Oh Gary, you're working too hard buddy. Take a rest"

The Durango race track one really doesn't make any sense to me. What the heck does the Durango have to do with circle track racing??? :headscratch:

It's all that Dodge really has, silly commercials....

Knowing that inventory supplies of Explorer are tight at the moment, I sense that Explorer sales will get better with time

as Ford gets on top of production supply and as more folks see them in their neighbor's yards, I doubt dodge will have

the same impact with buyers, that's why the silly commercials are being shown, to give them some profile.

Edited by jpd80

So tell me, anyone here, who thinks the Explorer is the better tow rig? Exactly, the Durango will be the better tow rig, at least with their current motors and drivetrain. Both those commercials were laughable, as you could tell they didn't even try to fight with the Explorer (1st clip) , and hopefully no one would tow that cargo with a Durango (2nd clip). Then again, I wouldn't put it past a Dodge owner to attempt this. Anyways back to the point, the Durango is the better tow rig of the two, end of story. So while these commercials are the truth, they attempted to make them funny.

Heck, even if Ford drops the EB 3.5L in the Explorer, I still have concerns with the towing ability of the Explorer due to it's front-wheel biased AWD system. It's front wheel drive roots will always hinder the Explorer in towing when compared to a rear wheel biased vehicle or 4WD.

Edited by V8-X

So tell me, anyone here, who thinks the Explorer is the better tow rig?

Well I did see a new Explorer pulling what was a pop up trailer from Quebec in NJ about 6-7 AM this morning, I have no idea where their final desitation is though :)

I'd say that vast majority of Explorers don't tow...well at least in my area....and what they do tow is well under 5K limit it has. If it was towing day in and day out, I'd might have some concerns, but if its only doing it a week or two a year....there shouldn't be any issues.

I'll use one example...the Nissan Pathfiner...Back in the early 90s, it was Unibody...sold well since not many other competitors were in the market...I think Explorer/GCherokee/Blazer/4Runner/Pathfinder were pretty much it. For xyz reasons, Nissan decided to place it on a BOF. Sales dropped, and never really met it's initial goals. granted, more competition, but never fully recovered. If the persons sole purpose is to haul, the Explorer and even Durango would not be on their main list. Maybe an F150 or other pick up truck or the Expedition, Sequoia, Armada, Tahoe would come first to mind. For the customers who really dont know much about cars, they see a new Durango and they probably think it's just as capable (or lack thereof) as the new Explorer, only because it not looks like a smooth riding vehicle. Lets face it, the Explorer is strong badge recognition, whether its "capable" in towing one way or another won't matter to 90% of the buyers.

Well I did see a new Explorer pulling what was a pop up trailer from Quebec in NJ about 6-7 AM this morning, I have no idea where their final desitation is though :)

I'd say that vast majority of Explorers don't tow...well at least in my area....and what they do tow is well under 5K limit it has. If it was towing day in and day out, I'd might have some concerns, but if its only doing it a week or two a year....there shouldn't be any issues.

Didn't really answer my question. Which is truly the better towing vehicle?

Sure, 90% of buyers could care less, and these commercials may be a moot point to them. But the fact remains, for those that want to and want something like the Explorer or Durango, the Durango will offer better capability.

Just like if Ford makes a commercial with the Explorer and Durango, and claim the Explorer gets better mpgs. It's the truth, and may hit home with more people. So don't discredit the Durango having better towing capability because 90% of people may not care. It's still true the Durango is better in that aspect.

Edited by V8-X

Didn't really answer my question. Which is truly the better towing vehicle?

Sure, 90% of buyers could care less, and these commercials may be a moot point to them. But the fact remains, for those that want to and want something like the Explorer or Durango, the Durango will offer better capability.

Just like if Ford makes a commercial with the Explorer and Durango, and claim the Explorer gets better mpgs. It's the truth, and may hit home with more people. So don't discredit the Durango having better towing capability because 90% of people may not care. It's still true the Durango is better in that aspect.

The Durango tows better with a V8 engine that makes over 100lb-ft more torque... No shit... (I think that answers your question)

The Explorer will definitely tow it's rated capacity(5000lbs) better than the Durango V6's if it were of the same capacity.. It has more power and torque and more gears.

Edited by GT-Keith

The Durango tows better with a V8 engine that makes over 100lb-ft more torque... No shit... (I think that answers your question)

The Explorer will definitely tow it's rated capacity(5000lbs) better than the Durango V6's if it were of the same capacity.. It has more power and torque and more gears.

Not quite

Durango 3.6L standard V6: 290 HP 260 lbft torque standard tow capacity: 6200 lbs

Explorer 3.5L V6 290 Hp 255 lbft torque max tow capacity 5000 lbs

That been said, I still think, Ford has the market figured out. I think 5000 is more then enough capacity. The extra 1200 the Durango has in V6 form is good most likely because Durango is still BOF.

Edited by Hugh

Not quite

Durango 3.6L standard V6: 290 HP 260 lbft torque standard tow capacity: 6200 lbs

Explorer 3.5L V6 290 Hp 255 lbft torque max tow capacity 5000 lbs

Max towing capacity means squat... The 2009 F-150 is rated to two 1000+ pounds more than the 2009 Tundra yet guess which will tow it's rated maximum better?

Durango 3.6L standard V6: 290hp; 260 lbft @ 4800rpms

Explorer 3.5L V6 290hp; 255 lbft torque @ 4000rpms

Durango Curb Weight: 4750lbs

Explorer Curb Weight: 4450lbs

2011 Durango: Transmission ratios (x:1) I = 3.59, II = 2.19, III = 1.41, IV = 1.00, V = 0.83, R = 3.16

Final-drive ratio (x:1) 3.06

2011 Explorer: Transmission ratios (x:1) I = 4.484, II = 2.872, III = 1.842, IV = 1.414, V = 1.000, VI = 0.742, R = 2.882

Final-drive ratio (x:1) 3.39

Not only does the Explorer's peak torque arrive 800 revolutions sooner, but it has shorter gearing, which is better for towing, and it's also 300lbs lighter...

Like I said, this comparison is bullshit and not apples/apples. The outcome would not have been the same had they used an equal drive train...(Okay, that was kind of the point, but this comparison is not any less incredulous)

And I don't mean to be so dismissive but this comparison really chaps my ass!

Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 1

Max towing capacity means squat... The 2009 F-150 is rated to two 1000+ pounds more than the 2009 Tundra yet guess which will tow it's rated maximum better?

Durango 3.6L standard V6: 290hp; 260 lbft @ 4800rpms

Explorer 3.5L V6 290hp; 255 lbft torque @ 4000rpms

Durango Curb Weight: 4750lbs

Explorer Curb Weight: 4450lbs

Not only does the Explorer's peak torque arrive 800 revolutions sooner, but it has shorter gearing, which is better for towing, and it's also 300lbs lighter...

Like I said, this comparison is bullshit and not apples/apples. The outcome would not have been the same had they used an equal drive train...(Okay, that was kind of the point, but this comparison is not any less incredulous)

And I don't mean to be so dismissive but this comparison really chaps my ass!

Durango's rear wheel or AWD platform is best for towing.

Explorer's lighter front wheel drive Taurus platform carryover is more fuel efficent.

The Durango is a strong old school SUV, the Explorer is the best Taurus station wagon ever.

And that's just the way it is. :stirpot:

Edited by F250
  • Like 2