Motortrend Reviews Ecoboost Explorer

But I had, and Mr. Mac is right. The Explorer is bad. Bad as in I can't remember driving a car as dynamically lifeless. Nor could others. "Handles like an oversize, overweight Volvo," states our Detroit scribe Todd Lassa. Says associate editor Mike Febbo, "It sits and handles like a truck, but it's a tall car." Executive editor Ed Loh feels much the same. "It's like driving a large overstuffed armchair. The cushions are very soft and squishy, but you sit so far inboard that it's weird." And then there's associate editor Rory Jurnecka's take: "Wallowy in the slalom and figure-eight with understeer being the flavor of choice. This isn't fun."

Source

Everyone has a right to their opinion and if they don't like something, they should be honest and just say so. If this is what they truly feel, then their courage for saying it should be honored.

...But does anyone else notice that Motor Trend's opinions on Fords are the polar opposite and 180 degrees away from everyone else's opinions. To me it seems that because Ford is viewed as a well run company by almost every single publication, Motor Trend feels the need to be the James dean rebel and trash Ford to be the different bad assed publication. The only car they seem to like is the Mustang. Almost every other test has a poor showing by the same Ford models that test well everywhere else.

This is exactly what I feared and exactly what we got, Ford really needs to get a grip on innovation application and release products only if they are absolutely brilliant.

And honestly, how many Explorer customers are willing to pay this much on a car to get a far weaker drivetrain with very minor MPG gains.. It just doesn't add up. But sales will determine ultimate success.

Right now the Explorer is off my list until it gets a 3.5EB or 3.7V6....I don't understand why it is taking them so long.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 5

Everyone has a right to their opinion and if they don't like something, they should be honest and just say so. If this is what they truly feel, then their courage for saying it should be honored.

...But does anyone else notice that Motor Trend's opinions on Fords are the polar opposite and 180 degrees away from everyone else's opinions. To me it seems that because Ford is viewed as a well run company by almost every single publication, Motor Trend feels the need to be the James dean rebel and trash Ford to be the different bad assed publication. The only car they seem to like is the Mustang. Almost every other test has a poor showing by the same Ford models that test well everywhere else.

The critical response to the Explorer has had a strange lifecycle. At first the critics lauded it, but the tone changed dramatically with Motor Trend and everybody followed suit. now you would think it's the worst car Ford ever made. Funny though, they can't keep them in stock.

• Like 1

How is 270lb-ft of torque inadequate for this vehicle? Or is the only metric by which we judge a vehicles performance is how fast it reaches 60 and completes the quarter mile?

If you were to load this thing down with luggage and people, the performance drop-off shouldn't be as radical as the V6 counter part because of low-end torque.

Look at the article heading... It seems all they do is rate vehicles on fast they are...

Tempest in a teapot.

It is quite clear that for whatever reason MT dislikes the Explorer as a matter of unofficial editorial policy. I have no idea why this is. I have a few suspicions that do not reflect well on Motor Trend--that either they're trying to be 'controversial' and 'edgy' (supporting this hypothesis: the multiple blog entries posted after the last comparo that kept the pot boiling), or Ford's refusal to buy the SUV of the Year award from them (supporting this hypothesis: Pete D's anecdotes concerning the sale of a 'prestigious annual award bestowed by a prominent magazine').

Personally, I favor the 'pot boiler' hypothesis: MT is trying to stake out a claim on the XXTREEME!!!! edge of journalism with paint-by-numbers contempt for a decidedly mainstream product.

Frankly, I wish they'd just go back to putting women in bikinis next to cars.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

I've seen MT be critical of the Taurus, because of the lack of interior space. Which I've experienced many times in my father-in-laws 2010 SEL AWD. It's a nice car all around, but my wife's '04 Altima feels nearly as big on the interior space as the Taurus. I've seen MT give other Ford cars, like the Focus I believe, an average rating (not best nor worst). They praised it for its goods/knocked it for its bads. Just as they did with all other cars in its comparison. And of course, we've seen them bash the Explorer. Whether any of us like it or not, this is their opinion from their review.

And have you been seeing more reviews lately? Polar opposites aren't totally true anymore. Prior to release, yes most ragz gave the Explorer a glowing praise. Since then, more and more reviews are coming out with Explorer negatives. But I do like the "conspiracy theory" that you came up with that MT is only doing this because Ford is a well run company and they (MT) want to be a rebel.

Because everyone drives the slalom and figure eight daily, seeing how quickly they can get up to 80 MPH!

Seriosly, buy a Mustang for that, not a C/SUV geared toward fuel economy. Why can't car rags get that? :banghead:

They run the vehicle through various tests, comparing to the results of other vehicles in its class that they have on file. If it's worse than the majority of other vehicles in it's class, then why not say so? Why try to hide the facts? Sure, slalom or 0-60 runs may not be how the typical buyer is going to use the vehicle, but if it is worse than the others, I like they come out and say it rather than sweep it under the rug.

• Like 2

more and more reviews are coming out with Explorer negatives

Yeah, but not like this.

And you know what? It'd be easier to credit MT's criticism if their other articles had even a modicum of quality.

But the entire magazine is trash, cover to cover. If I've read a single well written article in MT in the last ten years, I don't remember it. They're just a trashy mag trying to stay relevant by acting trashy.

Heck C&D is better written than MT. So's Automobile for that matter. And AutoWeek. MT is the Weekly World News of car mags.

They're the US answer to "AutoExpress"

Car and Driver liked the 2.0L EB Edge, but they didn't like the 2.0L EB Explorer. There's a 500lb weight difference between the two, which explains a lot.

Edge

Explorer

To be perfectly honest, I liked the Explorer when I drove it last winter. However, the Jeep Grand Cherokee just blows it away.

The grand Cherokee is much smaller than the Explorer and with fewer seats. The Explorer and Durango are closer kin. The GC would be closer to an Edge in size and customer.

Edited by BORG

My Mom was going to buy an edge and came home with the new explorer. She absolutely loves it, and even warmed up to MFT...... My sister came home for a visit and test drove it. She canceled her plans to buy a new Durango and is expecting her new explorer any day, I dont know of anyone who doesnt like them after a test drive. I think it has plenty of space,power and doesnt "feel" heavy. I dont understand all the negativity.

The grand Cherokee is much smaller than the Explorer and with fewer seats. The Explorer and Durango are closer kin. The GC would be closer to an Edge in size and customer.

I haven't driven the Durango yet, but I'm sure I'll come to the same conclusion since it's mechanically identical to the Jeep. You can only do so much to mask a dated and mediocre chassis, the D3/D4 needs to be replaced.

• Like 1