Motortrend Reviews Ecoboost Explorer

SO MT is saying...."You can imagine what happens then if you stretch and repurpose a five-passenger sedan into a seven-seater SUV. Compromise, and lots of it"... Hm as I understand it, the XC90 came first, not the sedans. So theyy got this fact wrong.

I do agree with some of you that there must have been a reason the 2.0L EB was delayed, and maybe for this application, not the best of use. It's as if the decisions of the engines were made 2 years ago, with a 3.5L (instead of a 3.7L), and a 2.0L EB, which maybe a 2.3L-2.5LEB would have worked better. And I'm sure the juiciest 3.5L EB will be left for the Lincoln version.

I can tell you this, after this review the way I'm summing it up is, "FORD is bad...FORD must do good and clean up it's name by throwing money at us for next years Car of the Year Award"....

Consumer sales doesn't take away legitimacy. Exactly how many 2011 Explorer owners read any sort of Explorer review, from any publication, prior to purchase and used that as their basis for purchase? How many owners simply saw a commercial or drove by a dealer and bought one without any real knowledge of the product? I'd venture to guess the later is a much higher percentage than the former.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of sales are by people who sit in, take a drive and really like what they see and feel...

That is after all how most vehicles are purchased and if a vehicle fails that simple test, it won't sell in meaningful numbers.

What you are implying also makes a mockery of the opinion that people buying SUVs want the most capable SUV out there.......

Edited by jpd80

So the Explorer has mediocre noise suppression?

Correct. It's not insanely loud, but both road and wind noise are pronounced in the new Explorer at cruising speeds. The Ford Flex is notably quieter.

Explorer owners experiencing the infamous A-pillar rattle would probably say that "mediocre" is a charitable description of the vehicle's noise suppression. FWIW, the base model Ecoboost Explorer demonstrated to me last week did not have this problem.

Color me shocked, SHOCKED, that MT is doubling-down on their hate for the Explorer. Surely the exact same guys reviewing nearly the exact same vehicle, only with less power, would have a completely different opinion.

Seriously, guys, after they (and just about only they) all but nailed the vehicle to a cross with their last review did anyone really expect this one to be better? They even had the same guy write the review (sorry, Johnny, but since you left AB I've like you about as much as I like farts in elevators), the BEST possible outcome of this one was that they'd tear into it again but leave a footnote about liking the mileage more.

No, the EB4 Explorer didn't hit the magic 30+ mpg. It's only FWD and its tow rating took a big hit. And that's a shame, but we'll see how it sells. The V6 arguably missed several of it's goals, and MT hated it pretty flamboyantly, and yet it's a smashing sales success.

All ford needs to do now is release an Explorer Titanium model with the 3.5EB V6 and all will be forgiven! Come on Ford, chop chop!!

Still can't believe the Ford Edge, the smaller crossover, gets a more powerful drive-train than the ginormous Explorer.

I hope the 3.5EB Explorer is more sport than luxury. Let's leave Luxury for the Lincoln version.

Well stats.................... obviously.

That is why I have determined that the Boss 302 is the best Mommy-mobile on the planet. :D

I tried telling my wife that, and when she couldn't find the 3rd seat belt in the back seat, she stopped listening... ;)

As compared to what other non-Ford vehicles?

Among the Ford Explorer competitors I test drove with my family members (all V6, highline versions - this is distinct from my base model Explorer Ecoboost evaluation last week) the Enclave, Highlander and Durango were the quietest. The CX-9 I drove had better suppression of wind noise than the Explorer, but was slightly worse in terms of road noise.

Edited by aneekr

I tried telling my wife that, and when she couldn't find the 3rd seat belt in the back seat, she stopped listening... ;)

:hysterical:

My daughter wants me to get a Mustang (which I can't say that I disagree with), but something about not having room for the whole family is a bit of an obstacle for her mother.

Among the Ford Explorer competitors I test drove with my family members (all V6, highline versions - this is distinct from my base model Explorer Ecoboost evaluation last week) the Enclave, Highlander and Durango were the quietest. The CX-9 I drove had better suppression of wind noise than the Explorer, but was slightly worse in terms of road noise.

From Edmunds InsideLine:

Enclave:

Sound level @ idle (dB) 44

@ Full throttle (dB) 73.8

@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 67

Durango:

Sound level @ idle (dB) 42.5

@ Full throttle (dB) 78.5

@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 61.2

Explorer:

Sound level @ idle (dB) 44.8

@ Full throttle (dB) 74.2

@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 63.8

Audi Q7:

Db @ Idle: 45.5

Db @ Full Throttle: 71.1

Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 62.4

Highlander hybrid:

Sound level @ idle (dB) 38.2

@ Full throttle (dB) 74.2

@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 66.3

CX-9:

Sound level at idle, dB 41.4

@ full throttle, dB 73.8

@ 70-mph cruise, dB 64.5

Granted that wind conditions varied between these various tests (except the Durango & Explorer which should've been tested in nearly identical conditions), and granted that the Enclave tested was an '08...

About all I can say is that the quality of the noise undoubtedly varies from vehicle to vehicle..... The Explorer is certainly not the worst of these--in fact the only remarkable outliers are the Durango's WOT noise, and the idle noise of the Highlander (presumably with the engine on).

Edited by RichardJensen

Nano is on schedule. I think the first application will be MkZ, but I do NOT think it will be GTDI (EcoBoost).

I wouldnt think so in the Mkz, eco in that car would be overkill, unless of course thats what they want. But in a vehicle the size of the Exoplorer that capacity eco'ed would, at least to me , seem like a perfect fit.

Ding, ding, ding !! We have a winner !!!!!

just my opinion, but sometimes i feel ford plays it just a tad conservative...this engine is capable of more, maybe not in this application, but 300 hp in the ST would be nice. And REALLY, wheres the 400 in the SHO?....IMO, the only engine they have gone hog wild on is the 5.0...RELEASE THE HOUNDS FORD! ( well, thats my best impersonation of a magazine writer......)

Edited by Deanh

You can only do so much to mask a dated and mediocre chassis, the D3/D4 needs to be replaced.

Last I heard, the D3/D4 is on the way out, but certainly not tomorrow.

Last I heard a variation of the EUCD would be the new platform for everything currently using D3/D4.

But back to the issue at hand. Either the vehicle is overweight or the engine is under-powered (okay, "adequately" powered). Probably both sides are to blame.

• Like 2

Heck C&D is better written than MT. So's Automobile for that matter. And AutoWeek. MT is the Weekly World News of car mags.

They're the US answer to "AutoExpress"

LOL

Nobody comes even close to Auto Express they are "Simply the Worst" nobody else can be that bad surely Richard? AE are in a league of their own.

LOL

Nobody comes even close to Auto Express they are "Simply the Worst" nobody else can be that bad surely Richard? AE are in a league of their own.

pfffffffffft, they are all pretty much as bad as each other, they are all Momo glove wearing, Piloti shoe enthusiasts that think they are Arton Senna.....and NO vehicle can live up to their requirements unless its a hyper- exotic plaything with zero functionality barring an ability to elicit crooked teeth grins and collect phone numbers from bimbos that dye their roots black.....

Nano is on schedule. I think the first application will be MkZ, but I do NOT think it will be GTDI (EcoBoost).

I hope the Nano is offered only as an EcoBoost because the Nano will be far less powerful than the 3.5 and 3.7 normally aspirated engines.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS FORD! ( well, thats my best impersonation of a magazine writer......)

I have mentioned this over the last 3 years: for the FWD/AWD cars it seems that transmissions are the plug in the toilet. Ford hasn't had a transmission that can take 400 hp AWD without all sorts of power-limiting off the line, like the SHO. If Ford wants Lincoln to be taken seriously, they have to do better than that. The MK S should have a 400 hp+.

There seems to be a new generation of transmissions coming to match the German/Japanese 8-speeds, and maybe they will be strong enough. As it is, it seems that nobody seems to do any high-performance work on Ford FWD/AWD cars. :)

Let me guess, you haven't driven an Explorer, JGC, or Durango. Quit being such a homer and call a spade a spade for once, the Explorer isn't all that great.

Yes, the new Explorer is GREAT! It's a no brainer with the dumbest of the dumb. The article is purely a hack job from those who have no sense or were paid off. You need to watch programs other than homer for real life experiences. Motortrend puked out any reputation they had and so did you!

Edited by GaryG
  • Like 1

All ford needs to do now is release an Explorer Titanium model with the 3.5EB V6 and all will be forgiven! Come on Ford, chop chop!!

Still can't believe the Ford Edge, the smaller crossover, gets a more powerful drive-train than the ginormous Explorer.

I have to say that is one thing that makes no sense to me and no matter what anyone says will never make any sense. Why is the 3.7 available in the Edge, but not in the much larger and heavier Explorer?

Wouldn't that be like offering a 3.5 in the Escape and only the 3.0 in the Edge? Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me.

• Like 1