Ford Mustang most Manlest car in the world

Anyone that in any way defines their "manhood" or "womanhood" by the car they drive needs to get a life. I've owned three Mustangs, none of them defined anything about my personality. It's just a car.

I don't think a certain kind of car makes you more "manly" than another, but I do certainly think your choice of car does say something about your personality. A Camry and Accord are just "cars", Mustangs are in a different category and so are their owners.

• Like 1

Anyone that in any way defines their "manhood" or "womanhood" by the car they drive needs to get a life. I've owned three Mustangs, none of them defined anything about my personality. It's just a car.

I agree. If someone thinks it's "un-manly" to drive a V6 Mustang, then they have bigger issues that what car they drive.

• Like 1

The Mustang has always been popular with women. Gene Bordinat, Ford's styling chief until 1980, called the first generation model the "original secretary's special." Most early Mustangs were sold with the straight six or low-level V-8.

Just because Gene said this or Gene said that doesn't make it so or set in stone. I owned two V8 Mustangs and one V6 and I have to tell you that in all the years I've been around Mustang owners there were just as many men driving the V6 car as their were women and there were plenty of women driving the V8. I've also owned everything from pickup trucks and SUV's to my current compact commuter car. A car does not say anything about you or your personality. Some guys drive minivans because they have to even though they might hate the thing. But its what they needed for the family. Is that a reflection of his personality? No, its just a reflection of what they needed at the time. Some guys like driving minivans.

NLPRacing, today's Mustang owner is tomorrows Camry owner. Or maybe they were yesterdays Accord owner. They are not a "different category" of owner. They are just people like everyone else. There is nothing special or unique about them that makes them drawn to the Mustang. There is not something about their personality that only a Mustang can reflect. Spend some time at a Mustang club get together and the first thing you're going to find is that there is a wide variety of personality types. Most people that buy a Mustang will own it for anywhere from two to six years and then trade it, probably never to own one again. Like I said, it's just a car.

Edited by BlackHorse

The new 2011 V6 Mustang has 305 HP. The old "manly" Mustang GT had 300 HP in 2005.

So the new V6 should be powerful enough for your penis. Unless your penis has mysteriously grown to accommodate 412 HP.

This conversation is inane, sure, back in the 90s when there were 4 cylinder Mustangs, and they were pathetic posers. Now the base V6 is above all that BS. We need to advance as well.

• Like 1

Sounds like Blackhorse is a little insecure ;)

I think the V6 is a chick's car, because why would you buy a "muscle" car that didn't have muscle? (But I never understood why they made GT convertibles or automatic gearbox's either. I guess there isn't enough real drivers out there to keep the Mustang afloat without it's softer little sister around)

I do think your car says something about you, whether you realize it or not. Jeremy Clarkson said it best, if you are going to drive something like a Toyota, then you don't care about cars. And if you don't care about cars, then you don't care about driving. And if you don't care about something, you more than likely suck at it.

Somebody who drives a dull car, is dull. Somebody who drives a flashy car, is either flashy, or wants to be flashy. I also think the type of car defines who how you drive. Fast aggressive cars are usually driven fast and aggressive. Big trucks and SUV's are bullies. Little eco crap boxes are driven by the timid and scared.

• Like 2

Sounds like Blackhorse is a little insecure ;)

I think the V6 is a chick's car, because why would you buy a "muscle" car that didn't have muscle? (But I never understood why they made GT convertibles or automatic gearbox's either. I guess there isn't enough real drivers out there to keep the Mustang afloat without it's softer little sister around)

I do think your car says something about you, whether you realize it or not. Jeremy Clarkson said it best, if you are going to drive something like a Toyota, then you don't care about cars. And if you don't care about cars, then you don't care about driving. And if you don't care about something, you more than likely suck at it.

Somebody who drives a dull car, is dull. Somebody who drives a flashy car, is either flashy, or wants to be flashy. I also think the type of car defines who how you drive. Fast aggressive cars are usually driven fast and aggressive. Big trucks and SUV's are bullies. Little eco crap boxes are driven by the timid and scared.

Insecure about what? Becasuse I understand that a car is just metal and plastic and rubber and not some soul altering experience that eludes to your innermost character traits even if you don't realize it? lol What a load of horse****. Get a clue pal.

Jeremy Clarkson is an arrogant windbag who talks about cars for a living. Of course he's going to say somethiing stupid like that.

• Like 1

Just because Gene said this or Gene said that doesn't make it so or set in stone. I owned two V8 Mustangs and one V6 and I have to tell you that in all the years I've been around Mustang owners there were just as many men driving the V6 car as their were women and there were plenty of women driving the V8.

Considering that he was the chief stylist during the development of what became the original Mustang, and was privy to the marketing plans and goals of the car - which directly affected not only its looks, but also its price and engineering - I'm inclined to take his word for it. Check out the number of Mustang ads from the 1960s that featured women as OWNERS (as opposed to eye candy to catch the men's attention - think the "Dodge Rebellion" and "Dodge Fever" girls). It's pretty obvious that the car was marketed pretty aggressively to women, which was rare at that time.

Edited by grbeck

Insecure about what? Becasuse I understand that a car is just metal and plastic and rubber and not some soul altering experience that eludes to your innermost character traits even if you don't realize it? lol What a load of horse****. Get a clue pal.

Jeremy Clarkson is an arrogant windbag who talks about cars for a living. Of course he's going to say somethiing stupid like that.

You tell me, you have been very defensive and angry over this topic.

Honestly man, if you think a car is "just metal and plastic and rubber", then you deserve to drive a "girl's car" like the V6 Mustang. If that's all cars were, then the Mustang would have never been invented. We would have never seen a Ferrari Enzo, or a Lambo. No Bugatti Veyron or Ariel Atom. Cars are more than just metal and plastic, they are inspiring and thrilling moving pieces of art and technology

Furthermore, I think it's funny that you are discounting the opinion chief stylist of the Mustang because it goes against your own. Like I said, a tad insecure.

Edited by Cocheese
  • Like 2

Considering that he was the chief stylist during the development of what became the original Mustang, and was privy to the marketing plans and goals of the car - which directly affected not only its looks, but its price and engineering - I'm inclined to take his word for it. Check out the number of Mustang ads from the 1960s that featured women as OWNERS (as opposed to eye candy to catch the men's attention - think the "Dodge Rebellion" and "Dodge Fever" girls). It's pretty obvious that the car was marketed pretty aggressively to women, which was rare at that time.

44% of V6 Mustangs are bought by males and 61% of GTs are bought by males. That's pretty close to the half way mark in both groups. You might have a point if say 10 to 20% of the V6 was males and 10 to 20% of the GT's were female. Now, if that 44% of males that bought the V6 suddenly quit buying it because some chode convinced them that buying it was "unmanly" or whatever, what do you think happens to the Mustang? Similarly, if 39% of GT buyers suddenly quit buying the GT because it wasn't very "womanly" then what happens? This whole notion of ascribing character or personality or machismo to a car is just stupid and timm is right, this whole conversation is inane. You guys believe whatever you want.

44% of V6 Mustangs are bought by males and 61% of GTs are bought by males. That's pretty close to the half way mark in both groups. You might have a point if say 10 to 20% of the V6 was males and 10 to 20% of the GT's were female. Now, if that 44% of males that bought the V6 suddenly quit buying it because some chode convinced them that buying it was "unmanly" or whatever, what do you think happens to the Mustang? Similarly, if 39% of GT buyers suddenly quit buying the GT because it wasn't very "womanly" then what happens? This whole notion of ascribing character or personality or machismo to a car is just stupid and timm is right, this whole conversation is inane. ]b]You guys believe whatever you want.[/b]

We will. V6 Mustangs are for chicks. Or guys who aren't "guys".

You know, for someone who thinks cars are "just metal and plastic and rubber", you seem pretty worked up over this.

• Like 2

You tell me, you have been very defensive and angry over this topic.

Honestly man, if you think a car is "just metal and plastic and rubber", then you deserve to drive a "girl's car" like the V6 Mustang. If that's all cars were, then the Mustang would have never been invented. We would have never seen a Ferrari Enzo, or a Lambo. No Bugatti Veyron or Ariel Atom. Cars are more than just metal and plastic, they are inspiring and thrilling moving pieces of art and technology

Furthermore, I think it's funny that you are discounting the opinion chief stylist of the Mustang because it goes against your own. Like I said, a tad insecure.

Having appreciation for a car as a work of art and implying that said work of art somehow says something about you is two different things. I fully appreciate that beauty and craftsmanship in say a Gallardo or various Ferraris and even in a Mustang. But just because I buy a work of art does not mean that it reflects something about me other than I just happen to like it. That's like saying that buying a da Vinci painting somehow reflects something about you personally. No it doesn't, it's a reflection of da Vinci. So yes, I fully appreciate artisitc craftsmanship in the automotive field. But owning one doesn't say anything about me personally.

We will. V6 Mustangs are for chicks. Or guys who aren't "guys".

You know, for someone who thinks cars are "just metal and plastic and rubber", you seem pretty worked up over this.

I don't think cars are just metai and plastic and I would have no problem owning a new V6 Mustang. Go ahead, tell me I'm not a "guy". Go ahead...

Asshole.

I don't think cars are just metai and plastic and I would have no problem owning a new V6 Mustang. Go ahead, tell me I'm not a "guy". Go ahead...

Asshole.

I can't speak for cocheese but I personally would never tell anyone that regardless of the car they drive. It's sort of like not judging a book by its cover. A good friend of mine has over twenty years in the Special Forces, has two tours in the Stan and fought in the first gulf war with me. This is not the guy you call unmanly by any means. Last time I saw him he was driving a beat up V6 mid eighties GMC pickup with a camper shell. It was a real beater, but it was what he wanted. This whole line of thought about a car being manly is sort of like saying.

Hey, I'm a real manly man.

Really? What makes you say that?

Because, I bought a Mustang.

And I think that's the only part about this that actually upsets me. I would like to see a return in our culture to qualities that actually do make a man "manly" or whatever your term for it is. In my book, those qualities are strong, smart, and honorable. No where does the kind of car you drive matter in the equation. It's ridiculous that we have reached a point where manlyness is easily defined just by the car you drive. What kind of warped thinking is that?

Edited by BlackHorse

I can't speak for cocheese but I personally would never tell anyone that regardless of the car they drive. It's sort of like not judging a book by its cover. A good friend of mine has over twenty years in the Special Forces, has two tours in the Stan and fought in the first gulf war with me. This is not the guy you call unmanly by any means. Last time I saw him he was driving a beat up V6 mid eighties GMC pickup with a camper shell. It was a real beater, but it was what he wanted. This whole line of thought about a car being manly is sort of like saying.

Hey, I'm a real manly man.

Really? What makes you say that?

Because, I bought a Mustang.

And I think that's the only part about this that actually upsets me. I would like to see a return in our culture to qualities that actually do make a man "manly" or whatever your term for it is. In my book, those qualities are strong, smart, and honorable. No where does the kind of car you drive matter in the equation. It's ridiculous that we have reached a point where manlyness is easily defined just by the car you drive. What kind of warped thinking is that?

I agree (again).