Camaro ZL1 laps Nurburgring in 7.41

Focus06

That's about 20 seconds slower than the Corvette ZR1 and probably at least 10 seconds slower than base model Corvettere. I don't see the point. A squashed looking top of line Camaro will run you $45,000 or more, and a two year old Corvette that will beat the snot out of it every which way can be had for about the same price, and looks 5 time better to boot. I don't see a long term future for the Camaro as it will probably go dormant again. If base Corvette models were going for over $100,000, I could see the point. The baby boomers I know are not buying the Camaro V8, but going for used Corvettes instead. Much better, faster, better handling vehicle. Iconic sports car vs. a wannabe that is ugly inside and arguably outside.

Current Drives:

2002 Matador Red Ford Taurus SES Sport

2001 Orient Red Metallic Porsche Boxster

• Like 1

That's about 20 seconds slower than the Corvette ZR1 and probably at least 10 seconds slower than base model Corvettere. I don't see the point. A squashed looking top of line Camaro will run you $45,000 or more, and a two year old Corvette that will beat the snot out of it every which way can be had for about the same price, and looks 5 time better to boot. I don't see a long term future for the Camaro as it will probably go dormant again. If base Corvette models were going for over $100,000, I could see the point. The baby boomers I know are not buying the Camaro V8, but going for used Corvettes instead. Much better, faster, better handling vehicle. Iconic sports car vs. a wannabe that is ugly inside and arguably outside.

Current Drives:

2002 Matador Red Ford Taurus SES Sport

2001 Orient Red Metallic Porsche Boxster

Most of the people I see in new camaros are young adults 21-35. Muscle cars are supposed to attract a young crowd, they aren't targeted solely at baby boomers.

Edited by Focus06

Most of the people I see in new camaros are young adults 21-35. Muscle cars are supposed to attract a young crowd, they aren't targeted solely at baby boomers.

GM could do ANYTHING to the camaro and I would still HATE the car with a passion....its like a cartoon to me.....

• Like 2

the CRAPMARO zl1 is not even in production yet.the car they tested is not one pulled off the line.Generic Motors is doing just like they have always done,they sent a souped up car there to get that number.it is said that the SCRAPMARO zl1 might weigh 4200lbs.the 5.8 GT500 will spank the zl1 and all of the gadgets that they put on that car wont mean a thing. :hysterical: :happy feet:

I am so sick of hearing of Nurburgring! It's like that is the only test of the car's worth. What's next a Nurburgring rating on the window sticker?

I don't think I'll ever take my car there, so that is useless to me. It would be better to develop a more real world track to see how fast you can go on a track of never ending pot holes, people texting and talking on cell phones, Prius drivers who clog the fast lane and drift from lane to lane. And you would have points deducted every time your super sized drink spills on your cup holder.

F Nurburgring!

• Like 1

It just shows how desperate GM is for recognition of Camaro.

Sure, Mustang sales are lower at the moment but this product cycle and retro styling is drawing to an end,

I'm not sure what GM has planned after this Camaro but they better be able to go with Ford or get left behind.

Zakspeed Ford Capri turbo done it in 7:08 a few decades ago, 7.41 is quite slow and its on the shorter Nurburgring circuit as well. The Old Skool Capri is lightyears ahead, done on the longer circuit as well.

And in other news, old group 5 racing cars are faster than 2011 standard production road cars...

Edited by jpd80