Cadillac CUE Infotainment System Unveiled

BORG

Cadillac took the wraps off it's new Infotainment System and it carries some of the MyLincoln Touch elements, but does so in a much more ambitious way with a fully customizable LCD IP and a larger capacitive touch panel with a UI that behaves more like an iPad and less like a kitchen appliance. I have to say, the SRX with the 3.6 and that system is looking very attractive to me.

Also, we get a look at the new XTS interior, which is looking sumptuous enough.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/12/cadillac-cue-gms-luxury-brand-ups-the-infotainment-game-w-vid/

In the end I still don't think GM/Google understands good UI, the information is not well organized, complete with tiny icons and small text. Ford is closer to better UI design, but the technology in Ford is so far behind that no UI superiority can make-up for lag and the complete uselessness of resistive touch panels as an interface.

In any case, this is how Lincoln should be distinguishing itself from Ford...instead of sharing the exact same Infotainment system with Ford, they should move it up a considerable notch with bigger displays and an all LCD IP. The update MKS can't compare to what Caddy is putting into the XTS and I'm pretty sure the Lincoln won't be priced cheaper.

Edited by BORG

I do like its ability to customize a home screen with your favorites. I will hold out final judgement for MFT/MLT for when the re-write is released, but so far, it's not quite as useful as I would have thought it would be. It's not awful, but doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table thus far yet.

I do like its ability to customize a home screen with your favorites. I will hold out final judgement for MFT/MLT for when the re-write is released, but so far, it's not quite as useful as I would have thought it would be. It's not awful, but doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table thus far yet.

Nick, for me it's staggering just how bad MFT/MLT is, It really is just a sales gimmick...Ford has no ability or interest in actually making it usable. There are some good concepts and ideas in there, but the software and hardware is absolutely the worst thing this side of a $59 Chinese iPad knockoff. This system completely undid any trust I had in Ford and Mullally and partially why I'm incredibly bitter and distrustful of Ford and why I look to the other manufacturers with envious eyes. Pile on the huge quality and engineering gafs plaguing their newest products (Focus in particular) and I'm mad as hell. The only thing I can hang my hat on at Ford is Ecoboost, which is starting to look like it's just too pricey for the application it's being used for (economy).

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Ford has no ability or interest in actually making it usable.

Seriously? A new software release every 1-2 months and a total complete rewrite is no interest? As for ability - Ford knew they didn't have it so they hired BSQUARE who claimed they had it but were wrong. So now they brought in Microsoft to help.

You can grouse about the problems but you can't say Ford isn't trying desperately to fix it.

Nick, for me it's staggering just how bad MFT/MLT is, It really is just a sales gimmick...Ford has no ability or interest in actually making it usable. There are some good concepts and ideas in there, but the software and hardware is absolutely the worst thing this side of a $59 Chinese iPad knockoff. This system completely undid any trust I had in Ford and Mullally and partially why I'm incredibly bitter and distrustful of Ford and why I look to the other manufacturers with envious eyes. Pile on the huge quality and engineering gafs plaguing their newest products (Focus in particular) and I'm mad as hell. The only thing I can hang my hat on at Ford is Ecoboost, which is starting to look like it's just too pricey for the application it's being used for (economy).

Well, frankly, I disagree and we'll leave it at that. I still love the system for the most part. It just needs a bit more speed to really be up to my liking (which apparently is on the way).

And my friend who recently bought a Focus has been tickled pink with it so far, "crap" transmission and all.

Now that I'm awaiting my new iPhone 4S, I want to see how frustrated I'll get speaking to "Siri"...I can't say MLT has been frustrating..I mean, it has it's "stupid" moments, but I haven't grown to dislike it in any way. The "Proximity" buttons on the A/C thing I think are a bit "stupid" because it's not like you can "feel" what your adjusting. Before you could pull a Helen Keller and feel for the button and know that when you pushed, you activited, but now it requires that extra step of "Looking" to see if it activated. although I'm not one to really adjust it too much, its FL. It'll be on 72 and call it a day.

You can grouse about the problems but you can't say Ford isn't trying desperately to fix it.

Trying to fix it is only half the game. How about they try to do something for all the people suffering from it. Offer something, anything, to ease their suffering the way a business who cares about customers would. You know, something like negotiating discounted satellite radio on our behalf, offering us 1 free map update, offering to subsidize an aftermarket replacement by refunding that part of the purchase price that was for this faulty equipment.

When it is something mechanical that is suffering from a general failure to perform, they recall and replace it. If Sync / MFT was a tire, it would be called Firestone.

Edited by GT_IE

When it is something mechanical that is suffering from a general failure to perform, they recall and replace it. If Sync / MFT was a tire, it would be called Firestone.

In my experience, a more appropriate analogy would be saying it was an under-inflated tire and Ford is willing to inflate it again for you. I've had no failure in mine. Just some slow performance and quirky issues, all of which have improved with each update. Most owners I've spoken with seem relatively happy with it. Sure, Ford could possibly do something for those who have had catastrophic failures to make them feel a little better, but frankly, that's not a very large group.

Trying to fix it is only half the game. How about they try to do something for all the people suffering from it. Offer something, anything, to ease their suffering the way a business who cares about customers would. You know, something like negotiating discounted satellite radio on our behalf, offering us 1 free map update, offering to subsidize an aftermarket replacement by refunding that part of the purchase price that was for this faulty equipment.

Yes, that would be nice. But that wasn't Borg's statement. He said Ford had no interest in making it usable and that's patently false.

Seriously? A new software release every 1-2 months and a total complete rewrite is no interest? As for ability - Ford knew they didn't have it so they hired BSQUARE who claimed they had it but were wrong. So now they brought in Microsoft to help.

I've spent 10 hours in waiting rooms for these incremental updates that do very little to fix major problems. This product has been out for over a year and they still haven't fixed it. Seriously, the system shipped with the world's worst software I have EVER seen, It still blows me away that Ford let it get to production in that condition...this is not an early adopters issue, the faults were so obvious even when Ford spent a F-ing year previewing the software before its release! I mean I still don't get it, what kind of monkeys are running that company, what CEO lets this happen? They have destroyed Ford's quality reputation in the span of a year, it's just remarkable and I want heads to roll!

Edited by BORG

I've spent 10 hours in waiting rooms for these incremental updates that do very little to fix major problems. This product has been out for over a year and they still haven't fixed it. Seriously, the system shipped with the world's worst software I have EVER seen, It still blows me away that Ford let it get to production in that condition...this is not an early adopters issue, the faults were so obvious even when Ford spent a F-ing year previewing the software before its release! I mean I still don't get it, what kind of monkeys are running that company, what CEO lets this happen? They have destroyed Ford's quality reputation in the span of a year, it's just remarkable and I want heads to roll!

It's pretty obvious you aren't in the software industry and don't know what it takes to completely rewrite a complex system like MFT from the ground up.

It's pretty obvious you aren't in the software industry and don't know what it takes to completely rewrite a complex system like MFT from the ground up.

So now that they are rewriting it, we can excuse the management that let it happen in the first place? So while Ford is trying to fix their innovation, other companies have spent more time to get it right and are going to swoop in while Ford is still putzing around with an outclassed system with a bad reputation and no opportunity to redeem itself. This is one step forward, two steps back.

I'm bitter, I know...I am so disappointed because I wanted to believe Ford could make me proud as a true tech leader and innovator, and it turns out they just want to pretend and have no idea how to actually do it.

That said, I LOVE my MKX, both this and the last one have been quality products and this one is just a marvelous machine in every way possible, I definitely want another...but MyLincoln Touch has been a colossal failure for me.

Edited by BORG

So now that they are rewriting it, we can excuse the management that let it happen in the first place? So while Ford is trying to fix their innovation, other companies have spent more time to get it right and are going to swoop in while Ford is still putzing around with an outclassed system with a bad reputation and no opportunity to redeem itself. This is one step forward, two steps back.

I'm bitter, I know...I am so disappointed because I wanted to believe Ford could make me proud as a true tech leader and innovator, and it turns out they just want to pretend and have no idea how to actually do it.

No, you can't excuse it, but you can't say they are making no attempt to fix it. You can't expect them to have it fixed right away. Software is NEVER bug free...EVER! So at your release date (before actually), you decide if you can release it or hold it back until it is closer to perfect. Ford knew they couldn't hold back the Explorer, Focus, Edge, and MKX a year until the bugs were fixed, so they decided to roll with what they had, knowing there were going to be issues, and knowing they were going to have a completely new system in a year (ish). From the way it sounds, there are issues, but not near as widespread as many would have us to believe. And once it is fixed, 99% of users not named Borg will accept it and forget about the original issues. It happens with early adopters ALL THE TIME!

I've spent 10 hours in waiting rooms for these incremental updates that do very little to fix major problems.

Sounds like a dealer problem to me unless you experienced some sort of failure during the update? My first update was done during an oil change and took less than an hour. The other updates I have done in my own driveway. :headscratch:

• Like 1

There's nothing saying the Cadillac version won't be buggy as well. While they are already taking the next logical steps to get ahead of the Ford system, that doesn't mean it's going to work right. Take a look at BMW. One would have thought with their German engineering prowess, they'd have a perfect system. Took them quite awhile just to get their system to work.

And Caddy is basing their product on something that hasn't been released in any other car. It took Google a few shots at Android before it was "world worthy". It'll take a few shots at this as well.

Yes Ford screwed up. But give GM some time. They'll show they can screw things up just as well, or even better!

I can see this topic taking on "Ford believers" VS "non believers". I have to agree with Borg, other then I wouldn't buy any Lincoln product out now, so with going back to Ford products and getting burned on a new vehicle, I don't blame anyone that puts out a chuck of money on a vehicle getting pissed at Ford or whatever auto maker when something is brought to market and it's a flop. You either fix a problem or redeem the costs back to the customer. In some cases buy backs,

You either like what you bought or dislike it, simple fact...Yes, Ford has shot their foot off as to quality assurance.

• Like 1

MFT is a little slow in my car. Most of the time it works as advertised though. No other quality issues at all that I've encountered. No foot shooting in my experience.*

* - Your experience may vary.

MFT isn't the main issue that Ford has had lately. Again, your either satisfied or not with a product. Also, customer service falls into play, and Ford has gotten sloppy as to good customer service and how it should work for the customers.

MFT isn't the main issue that Ford has had lately. Again, your either satisfied or not with a product. Also, customer service falls into play, and Ford has gotten sloppy as to good customer service and how it should work for the customers.

Good grief. Nobody is saying that Ford didn't screw up. Nobody is saying their customer service is great. Nobody is saying that customers who have had problems shouldn't be upset.

All we're saying is that given the screw up already occurred, they're moving as fast as possible to get it fixed and they're not ignoring the problem.

And a lot of those customer service problems were caused by the dealers who Ford has absolutely no control over due to state franchise laws.

As an example: Ford told dealers months ahead of time they needed a specific usb cable to do the MFT updates. Most dealers did not buy one until they needed it causing many unnecessary delays. They also did not have good computers and/or internet connections. Not something that is under Ford's control.

I believe you were one of the first to report witnessing the issues with MFT/MLT, and yet you still purchased a vehicle with it.