Ford Rushes to fix Gearboxes

Don't tell those that keep spouting off about Ford doing nothing to fix the problems (**cough**BORG**cough**).

Did I say they are doing nothing? EVERY car-maker that faces quality problems does something to fix it...the point is that once you have it in the customer's hands it's too late you've already failed. That's the most basic truth of producing quality. The fact that nothing is breaking is actually worse, the problem lies in the engineering. Why is that happening? They know the problem is there but they won't fix it before customers bitch and moan. I just don't get it, like MFT/MLT, I'm convinced nobody is actually driving their cars before signing off on them.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Well if Ford is addressing the issue, then it's because they are admitting there's enough issues to warrant a solution to. And/or, people are not pleased with the "actions/performance" of the transmission.

Yep. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and this is about pleasing more of the people more of the time.

Fine-tuning of the programming, I'm sure. Sometimes, you just can't work all of the bugs out until you get it into the hands of your consumers. Not everyone will use the cars the way the testers do, so some things just won't be caught, or things that were acceptable to the engineers isn't acceptable for the customers. Or things that are acceptable in another part of the world aren't acceptable in the US. Teething pains of One Ford and the latest greatest technology.

• Like 1

Did I say they are doing nothing? EVERY car-maker that faces quality problems does something to fix it...the point is that once you have it in the customer's hands it's too late you've already failed. That's the most basic truth of producing quality. The fact that nothing is breaking is actually worse, the problem lies in the engineering. Why is that happening? They know the problem is there but they won't fix it before customers bitch and moan. I just don't get it, like MFT/MLT, I'm convinced nobody is actually driving their cars before signing off on them.

And I'm convinced you JUST DON'T GET IT! :banghead:

• Like 2

Probably the biggest "WTF, is this Toyota?" moment is when the complaints started, then the instructions were to train the sales people to let them know how that particular transmission works. Obviously that isn't working, so now we go back to step one to address the issue. The Fusion better be a flawless launch after the ones this past year...

• Like 2

While customers may be disappointed that the Powershift didn't operate as well as expected,

I'm sure that a lot are prepared to give the reprogram a go and see how it works

there will be sum that will wipe Ford and buy another brand but by and large,

the dry clutch Powershift should settle in and operate just as effectively

as its wet clutch sibling does with diesel and Ecoboost applications.

If the transmission was truly bad, the Europeans would have

roared from high heaven about it.

I am not at all convinced of Ford's apparent quality gains. Every F-150 around here has had multiple problems.

That's a pretty big blanket statement. I know numerous people with new F150s, none have had any problems! My 09 F350 has been good, only one brake issue at 35000 miles. My 06 F150 perfect, same with my 2012 Focus, though its a manual without MFT.

• Like 1

While customers may be disappointed that the Powershift didn't operate as well as expected,

I'm sure that a lot are prepared to give the reprogram a go and see how it works

there will be some who will wipe Ford and buy another brand but by and large,

I would be interested to hear follow up on the manual Trans problem in Mustang, was there a fix?

there will be some who will wipe Ford and buy another brand but by and large,

I would be interested to hear follow up on the manual Trans problem in Mustang, was there a fix?

I havent heard any more complaints...perhaps the issue has been adressed, whatever it was....

The simple questions I ask will probably never be answered:

1. What was the problem?

2. How many units effected/dates of manufacture?

3. Status of fix and time to complete?

4. Lessons learned.

5. Is there a good up-to-date site I can go to to see if my car is affected?

• Like 1

I havent heard any more complaints...perhaps the issue has been adressed, whatever it was....

Good.

Blogging is just graffiti with punctuation, maybe the problem was blown way out of proportion and if it had been

as serious as some made out, there would have been a major announcement. by now.

And clearly, the Powershift is not a faulty design when a slight software change can solve the problem.

We all bring our own biases but provided opinions are not proffered as fact, all is well..

Edited by jpd80

I just don't get it, like MFT/MLT, I'm convinced nobody is actually driving their cars before signing off on them.

So...what's your excuse for having signed off on purchasing the MKX despite your own repeated statements about terrible the system is? I'm sorry, but you're so hypocritical on this issue, it's very difficult to take you seriously.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 1

I am not at all convinced of Ford's apparent quality gains. Every F-150 around here has had multiple problems.

WOW, that's a sweet gig--you're independently wealthy and have no other obligations! Well, right? I mean, to say this, you woud've had to have had the time to determine every F-150 that exists in your city and the surrounding area, reach out to the owners, discuss their problems and verify not only every single F-150 that exists had A problem, but more than one.

What's that? Oh, a generality? You talked to a few people that have F-150s? Hmm. Then perhaps you'd be well served to avoid using absolutes in your writing. You can be "not convinced" all you want. It may very well influence YOUR purchasing decisions, which is fine...but what you actually said is ridiculous and I'm sure you know it. Ford sells ~ 50k F-series trucks A MONTH and you have the gall to say "every one around here has had multiple problems". Just. Wow.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 3

Ford knew about this problem way back into the launch of the Focus, they treated as if you ignore the problem it will go away..So far there is no fix out there, just talk.

I'm waiting for dealer CS to call me so I can get this fix...since June.. :banghead:

Did you read the article? There is a fix, apparently a re-programming of how the clutches take up and release. Call your dealer. :)

• Like 1

there will be sum that will wipe Ford and buy another brand but by and large,

Europeans favor manuals.

So...what's your excuse for having signed off on purchasing the MKX depsite your whining and bitching about how flawed MFT is? (And please don't give the same reason you did before---"I wouldn't buy a vehicle without it". I mean, honestly, Borg, your position on this issue makes politicians look good).

I already answered that question twice this week.

• Like 1