2013 Lincoln MKS World Debut

Yikes. The up-close shots of the grille are even worse. The black plastic visible behind the grille (particularly adjacent to the headlight) is just ghastly. The lack of depth in the grille slats (in addition to their lack of width) make it seem like an afterthought.

Looks marginally better in a darker color, but ouch!

Yikes. The up-close shots of the grille are even worse. The black plastic visible behind the grille (particularly adjacent to the headlight) is just ghastly. The lack of depth in the grille slats (in addition to their lack of width) make it seem like an afterthought.

Is it really that bad??

I think too many people are getting spun up over nothing...and I guess if you don't like the narrow slatted grill on the MKT/MKS, your not gonna like the MKZ

Is it really that bad??

Did you look at the photos?

There was one shot of the dark colored one and one of the silver one where it just looks BAD.

I'm still holding out hope for the MKZ since the design will have been applied more or less from the get go instead of being forced onto a body shape that was never intended for it.

I do like some small slat grilles that have existed over the years, for example, the last gen Lexus GS:

2008-lexus-gs-460-4-door-sedan-front-exterior-view_100296835_l.jpg

Edited by NickF1011

Did you look at the photos?

Yep And I actually like it better then old grill...

Though you might have a point with the plastic behind the grills...however...short of being run over by an MKS, your not going to see that often and the alternative is seeing the front subframe with a more open grill.

I'm sure part of it has to do with impact regs (like the 2005-2008 Mustang honeycomb grills, after market fixed that)

The flash also highlights the plastic in an unflattering light.

Lincoln is in trouble if the MK looks like this.

B ig time. the more I see it, the more I think 1998-2002 Continental

I don't think I can take Lincoln seriously in this match...they are way outclassed by the XTS, especially in interior and exterior design. This is another fight Lincoln is sure to loose to Caddy.

And yet you like it? I don't get that.

-----

For me, after having a night to sleep on it, this is a major step in the wrong direction and furthers my fears that Lincoln will be going to the great auto yard in the sky. If this was simply just a stop gap until the next great thing arrives, then I could forgive it. But this little nugget in the press release has me thinking otherwise:

Refinements Signal Direction for Brand Today, Tomorrow.

Tomorrow? Are you kidding me? There should have never been a 'today' if what we are seeing is the result.

The way I see it, Lincoln should have left the MKS and MKT alone in terms of styling, added the content and just waited until the release of the MKZ style. What would they end up losing? The sales of both vehicles are garbage as it is...and this styling tweak won't help.

I had high hopes for Lincoln but with one refresh, they have all but erased. I feel let down. This was supposed to turn a page...and while that happened...the page we are now on is 1998-2002 Continental.

As I said before, there isn't enough content in the world to make these designs palatable. Hell, if Lincoln got the styling right...they could have DECONTENTED the MKS/MKT and sales would have gone up.

This is very frustrating. I mean really? This is your idea of refinement:

post-47048-0-89319200-1321565048_thumb.png

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 1

Seeing the real-world pictures, I like the MKS even better. It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but we saw how well they did with bland styling before.

The new MKS has one direct competitor, the new Cadillac XTS. I don't see anything that makes the Caddy more appealing than the Lincoln. To me, the XTS looks like the Avalon's greenhouse with the first-gen CTS' front end.

• Like 1

Seeing the real-world pictures, I like the MKS even better. It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but we saw how well they did with bland styling before.

The new MKS has one direct competitor, the new Cadillac XTS. I don't see anything that makes the Caddy more appealing than the Lincoln. To me, the XTS looks like the Avalon's greenhouse with the first-gen CTS' front end.

I like the MKS well enough, but the XTS is gorgeous from tip to...well....maybe not tail. It has by far the sexiest profile and fascia between the two, very clean architecture and nicely balanced proportions. The precision and sophistication of the design is just perfect for this class of vehicle. The MKS design is just too pedestrian and sloppy with very little attention paid to cohesiveness. It's a better match for Buick than Caddy, and even then Buick has done much better design with the LaCrosse (Maybe Enclave would be a better analogue despite the genre differences).

Edited by BORG

For me the biggest loss in the new design is the cut lines for the hood which raked neatly from the grille to the cowel...they've spread those out so the hood looks flatter and wider, not a good thing.

(-) I agree with you there, the cut line of the hood doesn't flow into the grill as neatly as the old one did.

(+) I do like the thin bar grill, it evokes the original Continental.

(+) The new hood seems inspired by the Starliner. I like that too.

post-19198-0-24195000-1321567538_thumb.jpg

post-19198-0-32710200-1321567840_thumb.jpg

, but the XTS is gorgeous from tip to...well....maybe not tail. It has by far the sexiest profile and fascia between the two, very clean architecture and nicely balanced proportions. The precision and sophistication of the design is just perfect for this class of vehicle. The MKS design is just too pedestrian and sloppy with very little attention paid to cohesiveness. It's a better match for Buick than Caddy, and even then Buick has done much better design with the LaCrosse (Maybe Enclave would be a better analogue despite the genre differences).

Truth...this is.

Completely agree. I feel most people shopping for this type of car don't particularly want a car that 'yells' look at me which is the styling direction the Cadillac subscribes too. Every time I see the XTS I immediately see an Avalon wearing a bunch of gaudy bling.

Completely agree. I feel most people shopping for this type of car don't particularly want a car that 'yells' look at me which is the styling direction the Cadillac subscribes too. Every time I see the XTS I immediately see an Avalon wearing a bunch of gaudy bling.

I can see the TV tie-in's now:

The all new Cadillac XTS: It's the Jersey Shore's Avalon!

..offered in a special edition, "Snooki Spray-tangerine" paintjob.

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 2

I like the MKS well enough, but the XTS is gorgeous from tip to...well....maybe not tail. It has by far the sexiest profile and fascia between the two, very clean architecture and nicely balanced proportions. The precision and sophistication of the design is just perfect for this class of vehicle. The MKS design is just too pedestrian and sloppy with very little attention paid to cohesiveness. It's a better match for Buick than Caddy, and even then Buick has done much better design with the LaCrosse (Maybe Enclave would be a better analogue despite the genre differences).

I disagree about the XTS, in my opinion its design is finicky and pretentious. If anything I would argue that it is less cohesive. I feel that the LaCrosse - specifically the GL model - is actually the best design out of the three in terms of exterior cohesiveness. The XTS simply has too much rear end overhang and the design does nothing to hide it either. Viewed in profile the MKS just looks so balanced compared to the XTS. The emblem placement on the front of the MKS is the most unfortunate part of the whole design in my opinion.

Some real-world photos. For me it's the back-end that doesn't work.

2013-lincoln-mks-la.jpg

WOW! Love that color, not so much the design.

post-47048-0-89319200-1321565048_thumb.png

That image angle is horrible and makes me think of a whale (blue whale maybe). Simply horrible. Now not the entire car is bad, but the updates just weren't good ones.

In real world settings, the new MKS looks awesome. The press photos played with the proportions but I think she's a real looker. Leaps and bounds better than the garish XTS.

mksonstage.jpg

Have to disagree. Not bad overall, just not very appealing and not as attractive as the out going model. But I am not a fan of the XTS either. IMHO.

Edited by V8-X

People look, but they don't see. Borg thinks it's "pedestrian".

LOOK at the headlight detail. The amber outside element and the chrome surround reprise the wing theme of the whole grille.

Deliciously tasteful and subtle for Detroit. This is not "pedestrian", however much Borg wants to pontificate to the contrary. Rather, "pedestrian" is the new Cadillac and its truly "imaginative" grille with all its careful, exquisitely subtle details and finesse.

Maybe it's pedestrian to people who love black velvet paintings and plaster busts of Elvis? :)

-140972005833895090.jpg