2013 Lincoln MKS World Debut

I was talking tonight with guy who drives test mules for Ford and their competition and this week he was driving a test mule with Lincoln's new push button automatic shifting system. He said there is a touchpad on the center console where the convenntional gear shifter would be. Supposedly all Lincolns in future will have this old Chrysler like system, only using modern touch pad instead of push buttons. So CCD suspension and push pad auto systems coming.

• Like 2

I was talking tonight with guy who drives test mules for Ford and their competition and this week he was driving a test mule with Lincoln's new push button automatic shifting system. He said there is a touchpad on the center console where the convenntional gear shifter would be. Supposedly all Lincolns in future will have this old Chrysler like system, only using modern touch pad instead of push buttons. So CCD suspension and push pad auto systems coming.

Good intel, FB! :shades:

We've known that "pushbutton transmissions" were coming, but the form was unclear. It sounds interesting. I'm not sure what purpose this move serves, besides being a marketable gimmick. But, hey, luxury cars are full of gimmicks!

In real world settings, the new MKS looks awesome. The press photos played with the proportions but I think she's a real looker. Leaps and bounds better than the garish XTS.

mksonstage.jpg

All we are seeing in that picture is what we have been seeing since 2009. You can hardly use that picture to say that the new MKS is a "looker".

Completely agree. I feel most people shopping for this type of car don't particularly want a car that 'yells' look at me which is the styling direction the Cadillac subscribes too.

I don't know...a lot of Cadillacs are bought every month...and not so many Lincolns...they must be doing something right with the styling.

Time will tell though if the XTS or whatever alphabet soup name they are calling it is a success...

Edited by Boss444

All we are seeing in that picture is what we have been seeing since 2009. You can hardly use that picture to say that the new MKS is a "looker".

That's a negative, ghostrider:

13184753.jpg

The 2009's front end is much more heavy handed, clunky, and disjointed. The new grille, lower fascia, sculpting, and rear all flow much more elegantly when viewed at this angle then the outgoing model. Remember: The bow-weave grille was shoehorned between the production MKS' headlights after the MKR found so many fans on the autoshow circuit. It was never a cohesive design, and the 2013 update has done a lot to make the look flow.

Everybody wants to focus on extreme angle closeups of the grille and call it a fail. However, looking at the car as a singular design shows a much more elegant, cohesive appearance than the outgoing model.

• Like 2

If you didn't like the design before, you're not going to like it now.

Lincoln-MKS-Hennessey-Performance.jpg

01-2013-lincoln-mks-press-628.jpg

FALSE!

Looking at those two cars together makes me FURTHER like the 2009-current model and further DISLIKE the 2013. It really shows how backwards the design went.

That's a negative, ghostrider:

The new grille, lower fascia, sculpting, and rear all flow much more elegantly when viewed at this angle then the outgoing model.

And we see exactly none of that in the photo you posted. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you posted a pic of the side...which we've seen since 2009 and said the new MKS is a looker.

In the picture you posted, what you see when you look at it is the 2009-current MKS. If you stare at it really closely, you can see that the grille looks kinda different. But at the first, second, third glance, you see what didn't change.

• Like 1

In the picture you posted, what you see when you look at it is the 2009-current MKS. If you stare at it really closely, you can see that the grille looks kinda different. But at the first, second, third glance, you see what didn't change.

When I look at the still from the debut video, I can clearly see a reworked lower fascia, different grille details, differently styled headlights, a newly sculpted hood, and new taillights. That is all quite obvious in that picture.

When I look at the still from the debut video, I can clearly see a reworked lower fascia, different grille details, differently styled headlights, a newly sculpted hood, and new taillights. That is all quite obvious in that picture.

Alrighty then. I'm not going to argue about it. I was focusing on the silver one in the pic...not the greyish/blue one in the background. Perhaps that is where the difference is coming from.

Edited by Boss444

One thing I do like is the frontend seems to have more vertical substance. The front-edge of the hood looks a bit taller (might be the angle I'm looking at). If it is, it might be the pedestrian regs in effect, but I like luxury cars to have a more stalwart appearance.

After a day of digesting, it doesn't look horrible. But I think we are used to some substantial fascia MCE's from Ford (Fusion, MKX, etc...) and were expecting something more dramatic. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it in person.

One thing I do like is the frontend seems to have more vertical substance. The front-edge of the hood looks a bit taller (might be the angle I'm looking at). If it is, it might be the pedestrian regs in effect, but I like luxury cars to have a more stalwart appearance.

I was trying to formulate my thoughts and you summed it up for me. More vertical substance. The finer grill slats give it a bit more of a richer appearance. The previous MKS (which I liked) looks a bit more pedestrian (pardon the pun) in comparison.

Sure hope that touchpad works better than MFT! :runaway:

Tell me why someone should pay thousands more for this....

01-2013-lincoln-mks-press-628.jpg

Then this?

Ford-Taurus_2013_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Sorry, but the 2013 Taurus is a better looking car for thousands less. Just my opinion, but you have to wonder if other buyers won't have the same opinion when faced with a choice between these two full sized Fords.

Edited by 2005Explorer

The driving dynamics should be quite different. But honestly - this was a mid cycle refresh and we all knew this wouldn't get the new Wolff treatment until it gets a new platform.

Just look at the front clips of all the luxury competition. M-B has all the subtlety of a hammer without a sickle, then there's the Audi Koala Snout, and the BMW fixation with bad headlight design, and Cadillac with lumpy grilles.

IMHO, the MKS will be recognized for refined value. That's a refined grille, there. This will do fine until it gets replaced, when? 3 years from now?

Just look at the front clips of all the luxury competition. M-B has all the subtlety of a hammer without a sickle, then there's the Audi Koala Snout, and the BMW fixation with bad headlight design, and Cadillac with lumpy grilles.

IMHO, the MKS will be recognized for refined value. That's a refined grille, there. This will do fine until it gets replaced, when? 3 years from now?

I'm guessing it will be more like 2 years.

Bye-bye Baleen. IMHO, very, very nice, look forward to seeing it. The grille and new headlights quieten and soften the car, visually, plus exhibit a finer, subtle detailing. This starts to make Mercedes look gauche. That will do just fine until the new sled. :)

ES-Yuk yuk- "Baleen" that was my handle too-for all the Lincolns. Agree-this isn't too bad.

As for the MKT, I saw a news story and some big limo fleet operator was saying.."if they think we are going to buy this, they are wrong"-Town Car was in the background. they then have Fields on who says--"It willgrow on them-"

He hopes. All it needs is a frame and a rear axle, V-8 etc.

ES-Yuk yuk- "Baleen" that was my handle too-for all the Lincolns. Agree-this isn't too bad.

As for the MKT, I saw a news story and some big limo fleet operator was saying.."if they think we are going to buy this, they are wrong"-Town Car was in the background. they then have Fields on who says--"It willgrow on them-"

He hopes. All it needs is a frame and a rear axle, V-8 etc.

And if it doesn't grow on them, Ford won't really care too much if they're not bright enough to see that the MKT has a rear axle, too. Seriously, livery work adds no value to the brand, and I hope the stretch industry decides to stay away.

Let the stretch gang work on Chrysler 300's. They don't have frames, but that nice iron-block Hemi will make 'em feel all right, connected to the rear axle that it has, too.

Meanwhile re-building the brand goes on. :)

Yes, you are probably right. At first glance, the front grille looked too generic to me, but after seeing it in pictures over and over again, it does look more refined. However, for me, the big story on refreshed MKS is the stronger V6 motor with 3 more mpg highway, and even more significantly computer adapted suspension with 3 settings. That feature alone with the stronger motor make the MKS a far more interesting luxury car. If I were in Lincoln marketing, I would really push that computer adapting suspension big time and show how you can turn MKS into sport sedan by just turning a knob or land yaght cruiser by turning knob other way. Excuse me, I mean touching a pad on MLT.

And if it doesn't grow on them, Ford won't really care too much if they're not bright enough to see that the MKT has a rear axle, too. Seriously, livery work adds no value to the brand, and I hope the stretch industry decides to stay away.

Let the stretch gang work on Chrysler 300's. They don't have frames, but that nice iron-block Hemi will make 'em feel all right, connected to the rear axle that it has, too.

Meanwhile re-building the brand goes on. :)

I agree. Being the dominate brand in the livery market probably isn't part of the rebuilding plan. It's a distraction they don't need to expend energy and resources chasing.

• Like 1

I agree. Being the dominate brand in the livery market probably isn't part of the rebuilding plan. It's a distraction they don't need to expend energy and resources chasing.

What about exposure?? You don't think there is a value in say 10, 20 whatever higher income people a day getting into a car and saying..."Hey this isn't a bad car-never knew Lincolns were this nice". I say what ever incremental volume you can get is worth it. "Incremental"-a key word if you don't spend a fortune getting it.

What about exposure?? You don't think there is a value in say 10, 20 whatever higher income people a day getting into a car and saying..."Hey this isn't a bad car-never knew Lincolns were this nice". I say what ever incremental volume you can get is worth it. "Incremental"-a key word if you don't spend a fortune getting it.

Which is what I believe they are doing by offering an MKT limo version. But being the top dog in the limo market isn't something they are sweating right now.

Yeah, but, the stretch market is mainly 20-30-somethings partying their faces off, puking through the sunroof and exposing themselves for the edification of onlookers. I am sure that the "black fleets" will latch onto the MKT and S in their non-stretch versions, anyway.

Lincoln will be 100 years old in 2017. It can get along just fine without the pukemobiles. Patience, Grasshopper, patience. :)

Hopefully Ford will make the MKS available with the same beefed up chassis as MKT...both the MKT and MKS can enjoy a good following from the livery business utilizing the Town Car name directed squarely at the limousine/livery market.....MKT Town Car can have MKS Town Car as a stable mate...

L-P9250003-1.JPG

Edited by twintornados