Avon Lake Medium Duty

How so?

The lower overall height of the super duty cab does put it at a disadvantage when used as a cutaway. Check out interior pictures of class c motorhomes and compare those that use e-series & f-series cabs and you'll see what I mean. The f-series cab is designed for a frame that dips down under the cab, so when it's used on a straight frame, there's a big gap between the frame & cab and has a more laid back seating position. Whereas the e-series cab is made for a frame that is straight leaving no gap and a more upright seating position. Which is more ideal when driving a vehicle that can be up to 40' long, 8' wide and 12' tall.

• Like 1

The lower overall height of the super duty cab does put it at a disadvantage when used as a cutaway. Check out interior pictures of class c motorhomes and compare those that use e-series & f-series cabs and you'll see what I mean. The f-series cab is designed for a frame that dips down under the cab, so when it's used on a straight frame, there's a big gap between the frame & cab and has a more laid back seating position. Whereas the e-series cab is made for a frame that is straight leaving no gap and a more upright seating position. Which is more ideal when driving a vehicle that can be up to 40' long, 8' wide and 12' tall.

I could see the issues when building a MH, but I don't see the issues on a shuttle like this. I could see possibly the F-Series having a higher step-in height than the E-Series, adding an additional step.

let me introduce you to what ford is selling for the >20 passenger Light shuttle market.

GL17067-1b.jpg

and this

this is a FL version

The use of the SD cab in the this application compromises the competitiveness of Ford in this segment.

He's right. The SD cab & frame are not designed to accommodate this usage.

They are being pressed into service because you can't get a 6.7L E-Series.

This is also the reason why I suspect that Ford's long range plan is a dedicated MD cab.

• Like 1

Repeat question -Job one is 3 months away-and nothing is happening yet??? Then again if they could gut Dearborn in a month and get it back up, this should be a piece of cake!

I don't think there's a lot of work required. The cabs aren't going to be stamped on site--there's no on site stamping AFAIK.

It's all still steel and the line moves slow enough that I'm guessing they don't need the "latest & greatest" robot welders, and--again, AFAIK, the noses of these trucks are fiberglass, so the only part of the truck that has to be dipped in the e-coat tank is the cab, and if they can dip an E-Series body in that tank, they can dip a SD cab.

Clearance apparently isn't an issue getting these things down the line after the body/chassis marriage, so like I said, apparently not a whole lot to do.

It probably matters more on a shuttle than a MH. Think about the airport shuttles where the driver jumps out & grabs your bags. Getting in & out of the f-series cab is a real pain compared to the e-series & FL style cabs.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer climbing in and out of my SD than the vans I'm been in. It's just something about the narrow opening and the narrow foot area next to the dog house makes it more cumbersome.

Of course, I've never done it 20+ times a day either. :)

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer climbing in and out of my SD than the vans I'm been in. It's just something about the narrow opening and the narrow foot area next to the dog house makes it more cumbersome.

Of course, I've never done it 20+ times a day either. :)

Right.

But this isn't about driver inconvenience, notwithstanding NLPR's remarks.

I've owned both vans & trucks and like them both. I may even prefer the more upright seating in the van versus truck, but that's probably due to the herniated disc in my lower back...

In regards to why van type cabs are better than truck cabs for shuttles, MH's, etc., try going from the front seat of your truck to the back seat without opening the door. Now, do that in a van. That's what I'm referring to. ;)

In regards to why van type cabs are better than truck cabs for shuttles, MH's, etc., try going from the front seat of your truck to the back seat without opening the door. Now, do that in a van. That's what I'm referring to. ;)

I can't, the console is in the way! ;)

In a MH, I definitely see that. However, in a shuttle, where do the bags go? Are the drivers walking through to the back or getting out the door? I'm asking because I don't know. The only shuttles I've ridden in, I've carried my own bags. I don't get out much. :)

I can't, the console is in the way! ;)

In a MH, I definitely see that. However, in a shuttle, where do the bags go? Are the drivers walking through to the back or getting out the door? I'm asking because I don't know. The only shuttles I've ridden in, I've carried my own bags. I don't get out much. :)

The driver usually exits out on the curbside, grabs the bags, throws them on a rack (usually behind the driver seat) and then they jump back behind the wheel and go to the next stop. A truck cab would make doing their job much harder for no good reason whatsoever.

The driver usually exits out on the curbside, grabs the bags, throws them on a rack (usually behind the driver seat) and then they jump back behind the wheel and go to the next stop. A truck cab would make doing their job much harder for no good reason whatsoever.

What about a right hand drive van?

OK, well then, that makes perfect sense. The shuttles I've been on, the driver never left the seat.

• Like 1

I don't think there's a lot of work required. The cabs aren't going to be stamped on site--there's no on site stamping AFAIK.

It's all still steel and the line moves slow enough that I'm guessing they don't need the "latest & greatest" robot welders, and--again, AFAIK, the noses of these trucks are fiberglass, so the only part of the truck that has to be dipped in the e-coat tank is the cab, and if they can dip an E-Series body in that tank, they can dip a SD cab.

Clearance apparently isn't an issue getting these things down the line after the body/chassis marriage, so like I said, apparently not a whole lot to do.

Probably right on all points. Like I said-look at what Dearborn went through in a month and this is nothing. Also I have visions of KTP building LTL 9000's and CLT's on long wheelbases, 46,000 lb rears etc etc. Not gonna happen here. Cookie cutter truck with the same basic 6.7 PS and trans that goes into a 250. Not like they will be slinging 2500 lb Cummins big blocks and 13 speed Roadrangers-unfortunately.

Dearborn wasn't done in a month. Much longer. Also, those busses shown a few posts back are not your typical shuttle bus. Most busses I have seen that size are on a class 5 or 6 truck chassis, not an E series cutaway or even a stripped chassis as is used for motorhomes.

Dearborn wasn't done in a month. Much longer.

In 6 weeks the body shop went from running 2014 model steel trucks to ruining 2015 model aluminum PP builds. Unheard of in this industry. Building was totally gutted from floor to ceiling. Every piece of equipment replaced. LED energy efficient lighting was installed.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't diminish the accomplishment I was part of. I'm kinda proud of what we completed in a short time.

• Like 2

In 6 weeks the body shop went from running 2014 model steel trucks to ruining 2015 model aluminum PP builds. Unheard of in this industry. Building was totally gutted from floor to ceiling. Every piece of equipment replaced. LED energy efficient lighting was installed.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't diminish the accomplishment I was part of. I'm kinda proud of what we completed in a short time.

It was truly amazing when you stop and think about everything that had to be orchestrated to complete such an undertaking in such a short period of time. Hats off to everyone involved!

We hear about the drastic change at DTP. Was the change at KCAP not as drastic? Were there things in place that made the changes easier or less involved?

Edited by fordmantpw

The assembly plant was quite an accomplishment, but the stamping facility did take longer (installing and commissioning the presses is a major task). Did not mean to diminish anything, but major advances do take a bit of time. From what I saw being in the stamping facility, I would rank it with the best greenfield facilities

ruining??

The assembly plant was quite an accomplishment, but the stamping facility did take longer (installing and commissioning the presses is a major task). Did not mean to diminish anything, but major advances do take a bit of time. From what I saw being in the stamping facility, I would rank it with the best greenfield facilities

Stamping plant took about a year. Not only the new presses, but the old roof was torn out and raised to accommodate the new cranes. The assembly side was enlarged and took over part of the engine plant. Word is that they will be expanding again and adding two new tandem line presses to support Super Duty volume.

I would guess, if it already isn't, it will be the largest stamping plant in the world by the time it's done.

• Like 1