2012 / 2013 Escape Side by Side

The Edge is a retread of the Dave design language that is going away.....

That is a shame because I think the Edge is one of the best looking (front end) SUVs on the road. It's anonymous from the side and rear, but that front is sharp.

Expect the next Edge to look like the Escape, Focus, Fusion, etc....

Yuck. Once again, Ford is swapping unique for bland/anonymous.

• Like 2

That is a shame because I think the Edge is one of the best looking (front end) SUVs on the road. It's anonymous from the side and rear, but that front is sharp.

Yuck. Once again, Ford is swapping unique for bland/anonymous.

In what way is the new Focus bland or anonymous? It is among the most underivative cars in its class.

It looks like a it has a giant maw on it...it doesn't look bad, but nor is it that attractive either...

That is my sentiment towards the Edge as well. It isn't bad but isn't exactly great either. In my opinion it certainly is better looking compared to many of its competitors such as the Crosstour, Murano, or Venza.

The front end of the Focus has really grown on me... And the front half of the Escape might be the best application I've seen to date. I particularly like the extension of line from the A-pillar, across the hood, to the oversized lower grill opening. But has to say I'm not too found of the rear on any Focus application to date. And on the Escape the backend has some droopy butt coming in as the slopped roof gives way to a rear glass.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The power dome or whatever Ford called it on the old one doesn't look half as dumb as the Focus front looks on a crossover.

Can't agree more. Side by side makes me like the style of the outgoing model so much more than what we will soon get. I don't mind so much the fascia of the new Escape, the front clip is better executed than the outgoing model IMHO. The problems I have are more how low slung the front end is compared to the cab. Which that non-cohesive element is extremely noticeable when viewed from the side (profile). Then the rear, well it's a hot mess all over.

Of course the new models NVH, interior and power trains are superior to the outgoing model, no question. Problem, is it's just not a very good looking overall design IMHO.

I just hope it doesn't suffer from the "me too" syndrome where it is hard to differentiate from all the other vehicles in its class. At least with the old model it looked like a more traditional SUV than most of the competition even if it was more CUV than SUV.

Agreed. The 2013 simply looks like every other CUV on the market now, doesn't set itself out from the rest of the segment. Of course I hate the CRV and RAV4 design, so it's no surprise I dislike the new Escape from a style standpoint.

Expect the next Edge to look like the Escape, Focus, Fusion, etc....

Lord help us. Love the Fusion, both Gen I & II. Totally dislike the Escape and the just dislike the Focus style overall.

Edited by V8-X

I just got an email from a buddy who had talked to a production supervisor at KC. According to him, Job Last is not until September !

we just put our last orders in for our final allocation....so, based on that we are at buildout.

2012 orders are excepted until 01/06/12, 2013 order acceptance begins 01/11/12, and 2013 Job1 is 04/06/2012. (all info current as of last week).

Unless they plan to continue building "heritage" Escapes for fleet customers at KC until September, I think your buddy may have gotten some bad info, Wiz.

2012 orders are excepted until 01/06/12, 2013 order acceptance begins 01/11/12, and 2013 Job1 is 04/06/2012. (all info current as of last week).

Unless they plan to continue building "heritage" Escapes for fleet customers at KC until September, I think your buddy may have gotten some bad info, Wiz.

they may, same as what they did with the old body style Taurus. That said we are getting an awful lot of Fleet Fusions of late..... :redcard:

Regarding the next-gen Edge, For one thing, the new Fusion embodies the new global face of ford, the Escape and Focus are part of or the old global face. Second, the Edge is domestic product like the Explorer and Taurus....it'll be interesting to see what happens there (whether they go global or stay domestic and figure out their own design flavor).

I never said you were alone. My assertion still stands that many place to high of value on the style of the Escape in explaining its sales success. If the styling of the Escape, which you describe as 'tough', explains the success of the Escape then why don't models like the Liberty and Patriot do better in terms of sales as they both certainly embody the 'tough' styling you value so highly. Conversely why do models like the CRV and Rav4 sell so well despite their lack of 'tough' styling?

Whaaa? Because there's nothing tough about the ugly liberty.... talk about a chick car! Just because a car is boxy doesn't mean i looks tough, and just because a car is boxy doesn't mean it has to be "outdated" It's all about the particular design.

In what way is the new Focus bland or anonymous? It is among the most underivative cars in its class.

The Focus isn't. It's just hideous. But that's my opinion. I'm not a fan of this silly European design language that Ford is using. Don't like the Fiesta, don't like the Focus, and I don't like the Escape. The interiors are decent, the powertrain upgrades are awesome, but the exteriors? Bleh.

As I say when I see a Focus..."Yay...giant triangles for everyone!"

• Like 2

Whaaa? Because there's nothing tough about the ugly liberty.... talk about a chick car! Just because a car is boxy doesn't mean i looks tough, and just because a car is boxy doesn't mean it has to be "outdated" It's all about the particular design.

Nothing about the current Escape makes it any less a chick car than the Liberty.

The Focus isn't. It's just hideous. But that's my opinion. I'm not a fan of this silly European design language that Ford is using. Don't like the Fiesta, don't like the Focus, and I don't like the Escape. The interiors are decent, the powertrain upgrades are awesome, but the exteriors? Bleh.

As I say when I see a Focus..."Yay...giant triangles for everyone!"

Just because you don't like a cars styling doesn't mean it is going to be a failure. You are not some sort of 'styling barometer' that determines whether a cars styling allows a car to be a success or not.

Regarding the next-gen Edge, For one thing, the new Fusion embodies the new global face of ford, the Escape and Focus are part of or the old global face. Second, the Edge is domestic product like the Explorer and Taurus....it'll be interesting to see what happens there (whether they go global or stay domestic and figure out their own design flavor).

I have been thinking that the Edge will be sold worldwide... Like the Murano. I also had in the back of the my mind that with the Explorer now in the lineup if the Edge will take a more "sporty" stance... Something more like the Venza. Something to differntiate itself from the more mainstream and utilitarian Explorer.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Nothing about the current Escape makes it any less a chick car than the Liberty.

The Liberty has 5000# tow capability, 4WD hi/low range, skid plates, etc. How many other CUVs these days have that kind of gear? People must forget that the Escape's chassis came from that extra manly, heavy duty Mazda 626 sedan. Those 626s had a ripping 170hp back in 2002.

• Like 1

The Liberty has 5000# tow capability, 4WD hi/low range, skid plates, etc. How many other CUVs these days have that kind of gear? People must forget that the Escape's chassis came from that extra manly, heavy duty Mazda 626 sedan. Those 626s had a ripping 170hp back in 2002.

And, unfortunately, the currently capable Liberty is not long for this world, and Nitro has already been phased out. A Fiat car-based model, complete with crossover-inspired styling, is due in 2013.

Just because you don't like a cars styling doesn't mean it is going to be a failure. You are not some sort of 'styling barometer' that determines whether a cars styling allows a car to be a success or not.

Notice his statement of

But that's my opinion.
Problem is most people I know who have seen it, think the same. Blah, looks like everything else out there, nothing special about it's design. Everyone has their opinion about everything, whether you agree/disagree with that point of view.

And to your point, just because you like a cars styling doesn't mean it is going to be a success either. Just like you are no more a 'styling barometer' than he is.

I dislike the Explorer style and what has been done to it overall. But it's been a success. Would I buy one though? Answer is still, heck no.

The problem is there are several people here who state their personal preferences for styling and performance as if they are universal truths and imply that Ford is making a mistake if they don't build the vehicle THEY want.

Ford's internal barometer for success of the new Escape is far more complicated than just sales volume. It includes all the cost savings of reducing platforms and sharing components with other vehicles and increasing ATPs with more options. It also includes a forecast of future sales volume of the old model vs. the new one 5 years from now when the current Escape styling would be even more dated compared to the competition.

If the negatards would just stick to "I don't like it" without implying that Ford is making a bad business decision we would have far less arguments.

• Like 1

Are they building the new Escapes yet...or have they stopped building the old ones?

Don't know about the 2012 but the plan was to build 400 2013's the last couple of weeks should be finishing them up this week.

Yes madison hts Costco, yes I have a Raptor. They are just doing production at the pilot plant, so a few more months before production starts. There are about 10 new escapes sitting outside of the pilot plant currently.

Production starts around the third week of Febuary. also see above reply

The date For job 1 is also what we are hearing in plant