2013 Lincoln MKZ Concept Debuts!

Well. we pensioners on the West Coast certainly don't mind pizzazz in our cars (on the outside and under the hood) ... strongly support it ... as long as we get all the creature comforts, too. And personally, while a rose on the seat is nice, I'll take the car wash. The rose is for the driver but the car wash says a lot more. It's a courtesy to the driver, but it's practical and it says the dealer also cares how their cars look when they leave.

P.S.

Just maybe pizzazz and muscle mean some of the same things here. :-)

P.S.

Just maybe pizzazz and muscle mean some of the same things here. :-)

I think the word that sums up how both of us feel is "boldness". Lincoln can't offer vehicles that just blend in with everything else on the highway. It doesn't particularly matter how they stand out, just as long as they do it in an unoffensiive manner.

Vehicles like the current MKZ and MKX are nice enough vehicles, but they definitely blend in with traffic.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Well, we agree ... kind of. :-) I didn't buy the current Lincoln because I thought it just blended in, but you know, it's in the eye of the beholder. I think the current Lincoln is nice ... except for dumb retro things like the key start and remote entry. I've mentioned them so many times, you have to know by now how much I hate them. And the door keypad? WOW! Who OK'd that!! Especially when the Taurus already had the 'swipe' technology. Yet, there were things about it that made me buy it anyway. But if the 2013 can look anything like the Concept car, it'll be really nice. I think folks in the business just see these vehicles differently than we 'street folks' do.

We're going in the right direction, except ... I also want assembly to come back home!! I want Ford products to be as American as they can be.

• Like 2

Well, we agree ... kind of. :-) I didn't buy the current Lincoln because I thought it just blended in, but you know, it's in the eye of the beholder. I think the current Lincoln is nice ... except for dumb retro things like the key start and remote entry. I've mentioned them so many times, you have to know by now how much I hate them. And the door keypad? WOW! Who OK'd that!! Especially when the Taurus already had the 'swipe' technology. Yet, there were things about it that made me buy it anyway. But if the 2013 can look anything like the Concept car, it'll be really nice. I think folks in the business just see these vehicles differently than we 'street folks' do.

We're going in the right direction, except ... I also want assembly to come back home!! I want Ford products to be as American as they can be.

:rolleyes: The crap you keep complaining about were established platform limitations, period. Unless Ford wanted to spend a ridiculous amount of money for small changes which were coming a couple years later with the new platform anyway they just weren't going to happen.

Both issues are addressed with the 2013 Fusion and MKZ. Can we lay them to rest now?

Is it a morning thing with you or do you just change your tone when Richard's around? What ever happened to courteous exchanges, even when disagreeing? I'm a customer; I don't have to lay anything to rest. Get over it or get off of here!!!

It changes when people complain over and over and over and over about the same things that have already been clearly explained as to why they were that way in the first place. Should I still be complaining that my '97 Cobra didn't come with traction control? :rolleyes:

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

So what's this about a new AWD system? Is it the latest and greatest Haldex system? In case you guys didn't know, Saab's XWD was actually Haldex 4.0. GM and Haldex had a one year exclusivity agreement that has expired, making the very good system available for other automakers. It certainly wouldn't be a bad addition to the MKZ.

I keep hearing rumblings about the 3.5L EB making an appearance as well. The combination of 355hp and H4.0 could make for a very competent sports sedan.

Edited by atvman

So what's this about a new AWD system? Is it the latest and greatest Haldex system? In case you guys didn't know, Saab's XWD was actually Haldex 4.0. GM and Haldex had a one year exclusivity agreement that has expired, making the very good system available for other automakers. It certainly wouldn't be a bad addition to the MKZ.

I keep hearing rumblings about the 3.5L EB making an appearance as well. The combination of 355hp and H4.0 could make for a very competent sports sedan.

No, it's not the latest and greatest Haldex system, it's a Ford-designed AWD system. IIRC, Ford no longer uses Haldex. :)

AFAIK Haldex more or less copied the Ford/Borg-Warner system.

They used to use a viscous coupler. But that required too much wheelspin to activate, so they went with a preprimed pump that activated the coupling as soon as sensors detected slip, and then, AFAIK, they got rid of the fluid entirely and now the Haldex system is 100% electromechanical.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Lincoln V-6

The next production MKZ will be offered with a V-6 engine, a turbocharged four-cylinder and a hybrid powertrain. The Fusion, which still will share a platform with the MKZ, will be available with three four-cylinder engine options and hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains -- but no V-6.[/b[

Bob Tasca Jr., owner of Tasca Ford-Lincoln in Cranston, R.I., and chairman of the Lincoln National Dealer Council, thinks Lincoln has hit the mark with the new models.

He says the new car's sleek exterior, coupled with its unique interior, will wow people. The interior has a push-button electronic gear selector and a center console inspired by a suspension bridge.

"The new MKZ was one of the hits of the auto show. It's a very sharp looking car," Tasca says. "We can't wait to get that on the showroom floor."

But he will have to wait. Before the MKZ replacement arrives later this year, Lincoln will launch refreshed versions of the MKS sedan and MKT crossover this spring. Those vehicles will feature a toned-down version of the waterfall grille and will have Lincoln's continuously controlled damping suspension feature, which lets a driver choose among ride qualities.

Other Lincolns in the pipeline include a compact crossover that shares the same platform as the Ford Escape. The new Lincolns will sport variations of Wolff's signature look.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120123/OEM03/301239979#ixzz1kIY2AAz4

I am disappointed that the MKZ does not drift further from the Fusion, it reminds me of the Lincoln Continental and the Taurus. except There were more mechanical differences between the conti and Taurus.

• Like 1

I am disappointed that the MKZ does not drift further from the Fusion, it reminds me of the Lincoln Continental and the Taurus. except There were more mechanical differences between the conti and Taurus.

I'm sure the 2.0 EB will put out more power in the MKZ and the 3.7L V6 w/ 300+ HP is far above the Fusion. The hybrid is probably the only truly shared powertrain for obvious reasons.

I have a feeling Lincoln could design a brand new stand alone car with new everything and somebody would complain about it.

I'm sure the 2.0 EB will put out more power in the MKZ and the 3.7L V6 w/ 300+ HP is far above the Fusion. The hybrid is probably the only truly shared powertrain for obvious reasons.

I have a feeling Lincoln could design a brand new stand alone car with new everything and somebody would complain about it.

I can understand offering the V6 only in the Lincoln, but for the life of me I can't understand why they would hold back the 2.0 EB in the Fusion just to make the MKZ look better. Competitors mainstream midsized cars already offer more powerful engines then what is available as the best engine in the Fusion. To be able to match those other mainstream brands you now have to move up to a Lincoln? That doesn't seem right.

I can understand offering the V6 only in the Lincoln, but for the life of me I can't understand why they would hold back the 2.0 EB in the Fusion just to make the MKZ look better. Competitors mainstream midsized cars already offer more powerful engines then what is available as the best engine in the Fusion. To be able to match those other mainstream brands you now have to move up to a Lincoln? That doesn't seem right.

Could be fuel economy or exhaust restrictions. I don't think they are detuning the Fusion 2.0L EB as much as they would be adding expensive tuning to the Lincoln version. Sheer speculation of course until the numbers come out.

I hope your are right.

I'm sure the biggest difference between the EB 2L in the MKZ vs the Fusion is that it will be tuned for Premium or at least have the option to run on it. Maybe something along the lines of the SHO Engine vs the MKS Ecoboost. Give you an extra 10-15 HP and 10-20 Ft-lb of Torque if you run premium on it.