2013 Lincoln MKZ Concept Debuts!

This qoute is totaly within line of how BMW as a company brands and markets itself, and as such not a surprise. You've got to understand that this is exactly how BMW has for years differntiated itself from Mercedes. BMW as a corporate culture puts a strong emphasis in its historical heritage; motor company came first, followed by motorcycles and automobiles. This is in contrast to Damlier-Benz who is a full line manufacture with a strong commerical divison building trucks and buses. BMW has for years taken the "we don't produce trucks or buses" marketing slant to seperate itself from Mercedes-Benz. So its completely within character for them to apply the same to Ford and GM. And as for the "rebadge" comment it is BMW parroting the mass media... When one has a media advantage one enforces it everytime they get.

The arrogance of that comment is one of the reasons I dont lust for their unreliable POS. I hope Cadillac / Lincoln do succeeded.

One of my first thoughts when I saw the new Fusion, after I got over the wow it looks good mental reflex, was something like, "Doesn't this sort of now overlap with the not nearly as nice looking Taurus?" (Note to moderator: this is sort of a thinking out loud question to ponder - no need to bust a "goit" slapping yourself on the back for concluding that you have shot down a speculative conclusion, by retorting with another speculative conclusion). What I mean is that the perceivable interior volume might not be that much different between these two cars. The wider Taurus will have more interior volume, but if the 2013 Fusion has good headroom and ingress/egress like Motor Trend reported a few days ago, the perceived difference could be fairly small. I've driven a Taurus from my workplace's fleet and the cabin feels a little claustrophobic for the size of the car. It might be the high door sills in relation to the headroom.

I think it will be interesting to see how much bigger the next generation Taurus will need to be to create a clear differentiation. The question of how big does the company want this car to be seems to be an interesting one with CAFE standards on the rise and uncertain fuel prices for any time period farther out than just a few months. Four sizes of cars is common with makers, but it seems like it could get difficult to get lots of volume with the largest one if the next one down in size is fairly roomy. Some of these four model makes don't need volume with their premium large car, but the Taurus doesn't have the profit per unit of a 7-Series.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

Note to moderator: this is sort of a thinking out loud question to ponder

Note to TBirdStangSkyliner: other people have already speculated as much.

Another note to TBirdStangSkyliner: Saying something like, "Wow. The Taurus is screwed," will get a raised eyebrow and a request for at least some sort of supporting argument.

lincoln-mkz-r34-2.jpg

lincoln-mkz-r34-1.jpg

My only gripe is still how the beltline, c-pillar, and deck lid interact. Other than that, its perfect.

Some nice pics there! And I totally agree. If there is one aspect I dislike, it's that same section. Too bulky and odd looking. Otherwise, this car is a stunna! Still wonder how much they will change it between the concept and production, and where they will locate the exterior door handles.

Edited by V8-X

The car is 75% the same as the current design. Only from the C-pillar back does it hint of change. It looks like Lincoln is trying to save $$$$ by using the current design, especially that front grill....UGH. Yahoo today has the Lincoln as one of the TOP 5 MISSES! Not good.

• Like 1

The car is 75% the same as the current design. Only from the C-pillar back does it hint of change. It looks like Lincoln is trying to save $$$$ by using the current design, especially that front grill....UGH. Yahoo today has the Lincoln as one of the TOP 5 MISSES! Not good.

:headscratch:

How can it be 75% the same as the current MKZ when they don't share anything at all? ANYTHING. Different platforms, different powertrains. By all means, point out the areas where this concept looks like the current MKZ. Hell, even the Lincoln badge isn't the same.

You can call it ugly if you want, but to say this is similar to the current MKZ shoots your credibility out the window.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

While Won't say it looks the same, I can see the same design cues from the current car and the MKR concept

The only design cue I see carried over from the current car is the shape of the grille. But, if that were really a dealbreaker, BMW would have been out of business 40 years ago.

The only design cue I see carried over from the current car is the shape of the grille. But, if that were really a dealbreaker, BMW would have been out of business 40 years ago.

Well the green house looks similar...just the C-pillar has more of rake to it...While its not the same car, you can tell its a evolution of the current look

As for that Yahoo Article...its basically hung up that the MKZ in their option doesn't look as good as the Fusion and costs more....

Well the green house looks similar...just the C-pillar has more of rake to it...While its not the same car, you can tell its a evolution of the current look

As for that Yahoo Article...its basically hung up that the MKZ in their option doesn't look as good as the Fusion and costs more....

Yeah, the way it has uhhh...side windows....and it's so carryover that it uhhh...has a windshield?

Name a sedan on the road that doesn't have a "similar" greenhouse based on the design elements presented here.

Lincoln-MKZ-Concept-side.JPG.jpg

0811_06_z+2010_lincoln_mKZ+profile_view.jpg

Really? Those greenhouses look similar??? The only thing remotely similar is the blacked out B-pillar trim, which dozens upon dozens of other vehicles utilize as well.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Yes, it has push button start and keyless entry). The button to the left of the HVAC controls is the start button (it is a trapezoid-shaped button instead of the "traditional" circle start button). Not sure whether that trapezoid-shaped button will carry over to production, but that's how it is on the concept.

Gr4eat. Thanks. Would not have thought to ooh there. :-)

13-lincoln-mkz-concept.jpg

R-

Thanks, for the update on the keyless start . I wouldn't have thought to look there. :-)

And to those who think they look alike ... I drive today's design and when I look in the garage I don't think I'm looking at the Concept Car!!!

I will when it comes out though.

Edited by Dedonut

Won't need to be bigger. Will need to make better use of the space.

I wouldnt be so sure of that, new CAFE rules have a loophole that makes cars bigger by this. Say a 200in car needs to have 40 mpg by '14 but a car that's 205 in can have 29 mpg in the same model year, what do you think a carmaker would do?, upsize. That's why VW and some greenies were crying, Ford/ Chrysler/GM loved it. One result is GM upsizing atleast Impala and LaX for 14'.

Edited by Fgts

I wouldnt be so sure of that, new CAFE rules have a loophole that makes cars bigger by this. Say a 200in car needs to have 40 mpg by '14 but a car that's 205 in can have 29 mpg in the same model year, what do you think a carmaker would do?, upsize. That's why VW and some greenies were crying, Ford/ Chrysler/GM loved it. One result is GM upsizing atleast Impala and LaX for 14'.

1 - You're dramatically overstating the difference in mileage between segments

2 - wheelbase, not overall length is the determiner of footprint, which is not good for RWD vehicles, as those vehicles tend to have a lower ratio of interior volume to wheelbase

3 - if GM is upsizing vehicles to take advantage of CAFE, in defiance of a general preference for smaller cars, well....... good for them.

1 - You're dramatically overstating the difference in mileage between segments

2 - wheelbase, not overall length is the determiner of footprint, which is not good for RWD vehicles, as those vehicles tend to have a lower ratio of interior volume to wheelbase

3 - if GM is upsizing vehicles to take advantage of CAFE, in defiance of a general preference for smaller cars, well....... good for them.

1. I know its overstated but for other readers to understand I put up that type of example, I'm sure its a bit more complex but overall its just what I discussed.

2. Rwds shouldn't suffer at all, hell 1950-70s big cars had bigger wheelbases but big room too, without the use of CAD.

3. Ford will be upsizing too, I said Ford/ GM/ Chrysler like the new Cafe, I bet the current Fusion looks like a compact compared to the 13'.

Yeah, the way it has uhhh...side windows....and it's so carryover that it uhhh...has a windshield?

Name a sedan on the road that doesn't have a "similar" greenhouse based on the design elements presented here.

Lincoln-MKZ-Concept-side.JPG.jpg

0811_06_z+2010_lincoln_mKZ+profile_view.jpg

Really? Those greenhouses look similar??? The only thing remotely similar is the blacked out B-pillar trim, which dozens upon dozens of other vehicles utilize as well.

Wow, I didn't realize the belt line was so high on the new MkZ. It makes the current generation look tame. I wonder how that will be received and how it will effect sight lines. There's been lots of complaints on this board about high belt lines as of late. Heck, Chrysler even lowered theirs on the new LX's to combat the gunslit complaints.

Mind you, I think it's slick. That view above has a certain CLS feel to it.