2013 Lincoln MKZ Concept Debuts!

Those small windows are undoubtedly there to allow the roll-down windows to function properly. There is no way Ford would go to the expense of adding that kind of cost to a vehicle unless it were necessary.

Ok because normally your mirror would go there and fill in the triangle? I can understand that.

What is up with those micro-windows anyhow? Windows have always rolled down in front all the way without them on every other car. I'm not saying they are a big issue, just wonder what their purpose is. I don't think some greenhouse commonality will be an issue at all since the rest of the car is very different. This is not a typical current gen MKZ or MKX rebadge at all. All I am saying is if you honestly think you will never be able to tell they share a platform no matter how hard you look you might be disappointed. Now if you have to look REAL hard to find the similarities then Ford has done an awesome job of making two cars out of one.

The Bentley Continental GT (and GTC) have small windows in the front like that:

2012-bentley-continental-gt.jpg

One year ago — his first week on the job — Wolff sat down with Ford design chief Moray Callum for a briefing on what was working and what was not.

"(Callum) flippantly said we should create a unique Lincoln studio and I immediately said 'yes,'" Wolff recalled.

Callum confirmed the story, adding: "We need to emphasize the distinctiveness. If the engineering is different, design should be, too."

The Lincoln studio, with about 200 employees, is "like a think tank for Lincoln," said Tobin, and has great support from Ford's top management.

"The chemistry of the team is great. Lincoln is no longer a family divided," O'Donnell said.

While his colleagues work on the new lineup of cars, O'Donnell must sell he image of a rejuvenated Lincoln.

A few things I noticed missing here: no Lincoln emblem on the decklid or front fenders. Current Lincolns have a total of FOUR logos on the exterior, which is a bit excessive! Also, unlike recent concepts, this is no model nameplate anywhere on the vehicle. Does anyone see "MKZ" anywhere in these pics? I wonder if they're considering renaming the new MKZ... Also the "new" logo is not on the new MKS and MKT.

Edited by hbalek
  • Like 1

FRD2012010982778_PV.jpg

How the decklid transitions into the C-pillar reminds me of the 2012 Acura TL. This is one aspect of the TL that I didn't like.

acura-tl-2010.jpg

Proportionately It's a good design, but the side skirts in the profile shots look as though they're lower than the rear bumper. The result is that it looks more forward-leaning than FWD cars are typically.

The concept MKZ doesn't look as good as the production Fusion in my opinion.

I think it's a beautiful car. I'd love to see it in black.

I hope the production model is as beautiful (remembering the difference between the Zephyr concept/production models and how disappointed I was).

Some of the comments I've been reading on various sites make me laugh - are we looking at the same car? This is the company that brought out the MKT after all.

Edit - one more thing.......the production car deserves a true name to identify it - not a sequence of letters.

Edited by LincolnV

Was more hopeful of something a bit more squared off like the photoshop we saw yesterday (or at least what was represented by that wacky view). But I still like it.

Side note: The first thing I thought of when I saw the thick chrome window surrounds and the rear quarter window though was Malibu. (NO, I don't think the car looks like a Malibu for those just looking at the image I posted! :) )

2011-Chevrolet-Malibu-Rear-Side-590x443.jpg

However, I like the car (and even the rear quarter window). I see a lot of family resemblance to the MKS in the front quarter view with the high expanse of sheetmetal.

Not sure what to make of that thing under the rear window though?

Edited by Intrepidatious

Most people won't notice that, especially with the window changes (6th window etc).

I also think the fact they are the same car underneath will also be hidden very well. I do think regular production versions may share some greenhouse elements and glass pieces (front door window design?) but this is the proper way to platform share and is not a rebadge like the current MKZ.

Also sharing certain elements on the outside is fine if it works with the design. What you don't want to do is just change stuff for the sake of change and not because it makes the vehicle more attractive. When you do that you end up with something like the MKT.

I do think you will notice more interior similarities after looking at both pictures especially in the door panels, vent design, etc. but I'm glad they spent their budget on the exterior.

I still would purchase a well equipped Fusion over this and use the thousands I saved for something else, but it should appeal to those with extra money who want something with more luxury.

A few things I noticed missing here: no Lincoln emblem on the decklid or front fenders. Current Lincolns have a total of FOUR logos on the exterior, which is a bit excessive! Also, unlike recent concepts, this is no model nameplate anywhere on the vehicle. Does anyone see "MKZ" anywhere in these pics? I wonder if they're considering renaming the new MKZ... Also the "new" logo is not on the new MKS and MKT.

I would LOVE it if the whole MKZ thing went away and this Lincoln was properly renamed Zephyr, but I think Ford is so proud of their Alphabet Soup MK this and that I'm afraid it won't happen. I have seen very few people who like the whole MK thing and as they add models in the future it is just going to get nasty.

This would be a good time to start naming them again. I have always said just because Cadillac had to copy the Asian and European luxury brands with alpha-numerical model names didn't mean that Lincoln also had to jump on it. Let Lincoln be Lincoln. Copying everyone else when your last to the table doesn't always work.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Am I the only one who sees a lot of Lexus ES in the overall shape? Certainly not a bad thing, as that is one of the better selling vehicles in this class. I think the Lincoln looks more elegant than the ES though. I really like this design. There's not one thing that really stands out to me screaming "please change me for production!" I hope the one unveiled in NY is pretty close to this!

Even without knowing the powertrain options?

Well the possibility that the Lincoln could get a V6 especially if it is the 300 HP D37 is no doubt a pretty big deal, but for those of us who have to carefully budget every dollar the Fusion is by far the better value. You and others are claiming a Fusion ST is coming, so that is probably the car I would wait for if I was in the market for a midsize sedan again.

When my Escape lease is up I'm not sure what I will do... Probably either buy my current lease or go get another Escape even though I'm hardly a fan of the new style. I will also consider the Fusion AWD, but after having an SUV again I would find it hard to go back to a car.

I like the "shoulder" that runs the length of the vehicle the best.

This vehicle has a distinctive presence. If it was parked next to an Audi, Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. it would stand out. We may quibble with some of the details, but I think Lincoln successfully accomplished what they set out to do, establish a new design language.