Ford Expands Manual Trans Availability In Focus

cant offer any input, I just found out about this this morning. My guess is the take will probably be miniscule, but at least its there....and in conjunction with the Titanium handling package could be a blast...BUT, my fingers are crossed it will also be mated with the 1.6 eco engine....perhaps, just perhaps this is a sign that may actually eventuate

Will your shop stock any Titanium 5spds?

Any idea how many manual tranny Foci your shop has ordered as stock since the car went on sale last year?

Will your shop stock any Titanium 5spds?

Any idea how many manual tranny Foci your shop has ordered as stock since the car went on sale last year?

Im not sure, only a small % gravitate to the Titaniums, the bulk like the SELs...which makes me question why theres no mention the SEls will recieve the trans....I would have just expected Ford to make it Avail across the board

Huh? Where? That doesn't make any sense since the new vehicles will offer SELs.

Starting with the new Fusion

S

SE

SE Luxury package (probably similar to SEL)

Titanium

I think the idea is to boost the estimated residual on SE model and reduce dealer inventory/order complications. Most competitors have simple 2 tier structure with optional packages too so moving to this kind of setup will allow Ford to better control residual and tailor lease offers that are competitive with other makes.

For example:

Hyundai Elantra GLS and Limited

Honda Civic LX and EX (DX is very rare like Focus S)

VW Jetta SE and SEL (base "S" trim is very rare)

Mazda3 i and S (touring, grand touring etc is equivalent to option packages)

Chevy Cruze LT, LTZ (LS is fleet friendly like Focus S)

Toyota Corolla LE, S (base "L" trim is mostly rental fleet)

Focus SE, Titanium (SE + option packages replacing SEL - just my speculation)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

cant offer any input, I just found out about this this morning. My guess is the take will probably be miniscule, but at least its there....and in conjunction with the Titanium handling package could be a blast...BUT, my fingers are crossed it will also be mated with the 1.6 eco engine....perhaps, just perhaps this is a sign that may actually eventuate

Hmm, 1.6 EB Fusion will have 6-speed manual and 6F35 auto trans...

I wonder if there will be a slight running change in Focus to introduce a 6-speed manual and true auto...

No doubt, 1.0 EB Focus will blow Cruze diesel out of the water for price and comparable economy

Edited by jpd80

Hmm, 1.6 EB Fusion will have 6-speed manual and 6F35 auto trans...

I wonder if there will be a slight running change in Focus to introduce a 6-speed manual and true auto...

I doubt we'll see an "real" Automatic till refresh...if the market calmors for it...seems like the bugs are straightened out from the original launch.

I can see them using the 6 speed from the ST becoming the new manual, but I'm sure the 6 speed costs quite a bit more then the 5 speed to make it not worth it.

I doubt we'll see an "real" Automatic till refresh...if the market calmors for it...seems like the bugs are straightened out from the original launch.

I can see them using the 6 speed from the ST becoming the new manual, but I'm sure the 6 speed costs quite a bit more then the 5 speed to make it not worth it.

It depends on the feed back from customers and while the Powershift is much improved, there could still be a considerable

number of buyers out there who still want a 6-speed auto, just as the manual also has a bigger than expected following.

All I'm saying is that an Auto could be added as an option without disturbing the line too much.

Remember Ford also thought hatchbacks were dead until Fiesta proved there was a bigger than expected market,

there's only so much market research can reveal, in this case I think customer feed back loop is the best indicator..

Edited by jpd80

w 10 speakers, rear disc brakes, Dual Zone EATC, cruise , Black surround lighting, Ambient, MyFord$hit, Rear spoiler, 17 inch wheels, power 1 touch on all windows, Garage door opener, Leather wrapped steering wheel.....all standard.....

The SE Sport package includes rear disc brakes, rear spoiler, and leather wrapped steering wheel and also allows 17" wheels to be specified as an option; cruise control is part of SE Rapid Spec packages 201A and 203A. Since the other items on the Titanium variant are largely useless fluff, me thinks (as C&D does) that the SE Sport with 203A is still the sweet spot in the U.S. Focus lineup.

Nonetheless, any and all efforts to expand manual transmission availability are commendable. Way to go Ford! :shades:

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 2

It depends on the feed back from customers and while the Powershift is much improved, there could still be a considerable

number of buyers out there who still want a 6-speed auto, just as the manual also has a bigger than expected following.

All I'm saying is that an Auto could be added as an option without disturbing the line too much.

Why offer another option that's going to add unneeded complexity to the line for little gain?

I see it as either all Powershift and manuals or all 6 speed autos and manuals...not a mix of the 3..just doesn't make any sense

Why offer another option that's going to add unneeded complexity to the line for little gain?

That is the clincher in your statement, is a 6-speed auto justified for Focus?

Customer demand is never unneeded complexity, let's see what happens....

Edited by jpd80

Im not sure, only a small % gravitate to the Titaniums, the bulk like the SELs...which makes me question why theres no mention the SEls will recieve the trans....I would have just expected Ford to make it Avail across the board

Maybe it's a way to push potential SEL drivers into Titanium models i.e. more money?

I'm not sure how this will play in Canada. The SEL can be had with a manual transmission, but our sales brochures has listed the "late availability" of a 5-speed Titanium since its introduction last year. Something might have to give up here...

That is the clincher in your statement, is a 6-speed auto justified for Focus?

Customer demand is never unneeded complexity, let's see what happens....

If it's the same basic 6-speed ATX that Ford and GM co-developed, the question is "how could they justify any other ATX?" That same basic ATX is used in a boatload of Ford vehicles, so using it would simplify the supply chain, not add complexity.

I do agree with your basic premise, though. It really grinds my gears that I can't buy a new F150 without a slushbox. Not having a manual in a truck is just sinful. :censored:

• Like 1

If it's the same basic 6-speed ATX that Ford and GM co-developed, the question is "how could they justify any other ATX?" That same basic ATX is used in a boatload of Ford vehicles, so using it would simplify the supply chain, not add complexity.

The complexity is supplying 4 different powerpacks to the plant. Now you just have the powershift and manual. Next you add the ST with a 6 Speed manual....then your going to add a automatic transmission and confuse your buying public even more? Sometimes having too many choices to as bad as not having any.

Easiest fix is to add an torque converter to the Powershift, from what I understand that is what Madza is doing.

And I'd assume the Powershift might be a bit cheaper then an Automatic too..not to mention better gas millage.

I do agree with your basic premise, though. It really grinds my gears that I can't buy a new F150 without a slushbox. Not having a manual in a truck is just sinful. :censored:

It adds complexity to the Focus assembly line (and pricing and dealer inventory, etc. etc.)

It adds complexity to the Focus assembly line (and pricing and dealer inventory, etc. etc.)

What does? Using the same ATX in all of their cars, or adding a stick to the F-Series? ;)

Yes, I understand that adding the MTX adds complications, but I'm still glad to see that you can get a clutch on something other than a Mustang or a Sally Rand-edition econobox...

I see it mentioned "Late Availability" In the Canadian brochure too, still waiting. I see the SE and SEL but personally, I'm not seeing the 'S' model. I have to check what's the real difference with a base SE and a S and the difference in price can't be that far off. I am really glad a manual is available. I saw a Euro-Focus 'Zetec' that's the EB16 and 6M. Now that, is a nice configuration!

What does? Using the same ATX in all of their cars, or adding a stick to the F-Series? ;)

Yes, I understand that adding the MTX adds complications, but I'm still glad to see that you can get a clutch on something other than a Mustang or a Sally Rand-edition econobox...

Adding the 6F35 conventional automatic transmission to the Focus in addition to the current manual and powershift DSG.

Adding the 6F35 conventional automatic transmission to the Focus in addition to the current manual and powershift DSG.

If it makes sales, I'm for it. Another option is the current Mazda 3 DCT which includes a torque converter to a max speed of 5 mph I think.

I hope Ford takes the opportunity to advertise (in a big way) this great combination manual + Handling Package on a car that is getting very good write ups regarding being a "drivers car" with features not found in this segment.

Hopefully the dealerships who decide to order Titaniums with a manual tranny have enough sense to spec them with the Handling Package.

I am sure Car & Driver will make lots of positive noise when they test this combo, and hopefully some of the other car rags will have some positive things to say.

Edited by MKII

Seriously, the 6-auto in the Focus has been ripped in reviews, but I haven't seen any reviews since the August re-programming.

I love my auto SEL (built in October) and can't imagine wanting to get a manual in a car ever again. When the MFT is updated (any day?) I think it will be an unbeatable combo, but the question is who/when is going to review the 2013's with the updates so the public finds out about it.

I love my auto SEL (built in October) and can't imagine wanting to get a manual in a car ever again. When the MFT is updated (any day?) I think it will be an unbeatable combo, but the question is who/when is going to review the 2013's with the updates so the public finds out about it.

Well the Escape had a atrocious launch when it came out...look where its at today...LOL

The problems with the Focus today are nothing like what it had when it first came out...