650HP for $54,995

Or, $1,136 per month for 60 months with $5,500 down and a 7% APR. Not that we've priced that out or anything…

Come on, that rate is a little high...it's possible to get that rate down closer to 2.5 and make this thing MUCH more affordable at closer to $1k/month. hysterical.gif

Choices, choices! House, or car?

Here $1k/month rents you a 1br apartment in a borderline sketchy neighborhood.... darn sunshine tax...tumbleweed.gif

My mortgage payment is just under $1k/month (including escrow for taxes and insurance) and I have a 2,400 sq. ft. home. Of course I have to deal with the Texas heat and hurricanes.....

Here $1k/month rents you a 1br apartment in a borderline sketchy neighborhood.... darn sunshine tax...tumbleweed.gif

Meh...you can have the sunshine for that price...we get plenty here in MO. I can visit CA any time I want for a lot less, and not have to deal with the crazies the rest of the time! (no offense...it's a joke)

Mine is $1100/month, for a 1750 sq. ft. ranch (double that if you count the finished basement), plus a 34x44 detached garage sitting on 3+ acres in a great neighborhood. All that in a 15 year mortgage. Needless to say, I'm shocked to watch House Hunters and see what people in cities pay for houses half the size of ours, sitting on a 1/4 acre lot!

Edited by fordmantpw

Meh...you can have the sunshine for that price...we get plenty here in MO. I can visit CA any time I want for a lot less, and not have to deal with the crazies the rest of the time! (no offense...it's a joke)

Mine is $1100/month, for a 1750 sq. ft. ranch (double that if you count the finished basement), plus a 34x44 detached garage sitting on 3+ acres in a great neighborhood. All that in a 15 year mortgage. Needless to say, I'm shocked to watch House Hunters and see what people in cities pay for houses half the size of ours, sitting on a 1/4 acre lot!

Im over 4 times that, mind you thats two mortgages and one of them is a rental which, aside from about $300 pays for itself....hell, between the two my Property taxes run probably $700 a month.....California rocks though.....although as retirement closes the thought of selling both and moving back to NZ has crossed both mine and my gals minds,,,,,,,,,

Im over 4 times that, mind you thats two mortgages and one of them is a rental which, aside from about $300 pays for itself....hell, between the two my Property taxes run probably $700 a month.....California rocks though.....although as retirement closes the thought of selling both and moving back to NZ has crossed both mine and my gals minds,,,,,,,,,

I'm not quite that bad...I pay about 2900 a month between my old condo (rental that loses money) and my house...but my property taxes are roughly 3600 a year for both places.

I pay $1600/mo. for a 1 bdr apartment rental here in NJ...

I'm not quite that bad...I pay about 2900 a month between my old condo (rental that loses money) and my house...but my property taxes are roughly 3600 a year for both places.

Living the dream mate, livin the dream, the OTHER varient is 3 slobby room-mates with hot girlfriends, a fake rolex, expensive cologne, huge bar tab and a co-signed leased M series Bimmer parked outside your Mums place......

Edited by Deanh

Yeah but how many breweries can you reach within biking distance? I'm up to 6 as of last weekend :)

party.gifbike.gif

Within biking distance coming or going?

Also, I have a theory that good beer only comes from places that have winter.

So wrong Rich... soooo very wrong.

The west coast makes the best beer in the US. Period. Colorado, and Michigan come close, but still not quite there.

I will say with no doubt whatsoever, that my favorite stout is from Founders in Michigan. But overall? California has got it on spades. Then the PNW has really great stuff too.

Woo woo! West coast!

Stone

Russian River

Dechutes

Ballast Point

Lagunitas

The Lost Abbey/Port Brewing

Bootleggers

The Bruery

Sierra Nevada

Rogue

Elysian

Hangar 24

AleSmith

Green Flash

I will say that Goose Island and Founders are excellent but outside of the great lakes there isn't a whole lot going on back east.

I'll make a deal with you: I'll argue my 'no good beer without winter' theory just as strongly as you argue your 'best beer is from the west coast' theory.

I'm prepared to do so with tongue firmly in cheek.

For instance, there are many famous imported beers. But only one comes with a recommendation that you jam fruit in it: Corona. A Mexican beer.

Again, there are many famous imported beers. But only one has a pitchman who by his own admission isn't much of a beer drinker and isn't even overly partial to the beer being advertised: Dos Equis. Also Mexican.

I would, in fact, go so far as to assert that speaking a Romance Language also disqualifies you from making good beer. Exhibit A: Stella Artois. Any beer company that advertises the GLASS in which the beer is consumed, any beer company that bought a Super Bowl commercial spot in which the male lead is a whisper thin jazz singer who is apparently oblivious to the bevy of attractive women falling at his feet, any company that does that clearly does not understand beer, or much of anything really.

So there you have it. If you speak Italian (I'm looking at you, Peroni), come from a tropical place (that's you Red Stripe) or any other Romance Language (Corona, Dos Equis, Tecate, etc.), you just can't make good beer. Try moving some place where the weather is an immovable obstacle to your existence during some sizable portion of the year. Some place loaded to the gills with taciturn people from sturdy, heavy browed northern European stock, people with a heritage of doing strange things to cabbage, fish, and organ meat, and you might accomplish something.

But do not pretend that you can enjoy beautiful sunshine, a friendly climate, delightful cuisine, and the various languages of love, and then turn around and make good beer!

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Historically warmer climates preferred lighter beers because they go better with the hot weather. Now that we drink our beer after coming in from a long day in front of the keyboard, instead of a long day behind a sweaty donkey, we're no longer so dehydrated that high-alcohol (and hence high flavor) beers would knock us over, so we can enjoy the stronger beers in life.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

The west coast makes the best beer in the US. Period. Colorado, and Michigan come close, but still not quite there.

I will say with no doubt whatsoever, that my favorite stout is from Founders in Michigan. But overall? California has got it on spades. Then the PNW has really great stuff too.

Woo woo! West coast!

Stone

Russian River

Dechutes

Ballast Point

Lagunitas

Bootleggers

The Bruery

Sierra Nevada

Rogue

Elysian

Hangar 24

AleSmith

Green Flash

I will say that Goose Island and Founders are excellent but outside of the great lakes there isn't a whole lot going on back east.

Three of those are on my "within biking distance" list. happy%20feet.gif

I must take exception to your statement about East Cost brewing, having been a craft beer drinker for over 30 years I would say the rule is the fresher the better , unless it is one of the high alcohol specialty beers. There are many breweries on the right coat making brews as good as those mentioned on your list, including Dog Fish Head, Victory, Shipyard, Allagash, Smutty Nose, and Slumbrew to name a few. I have enjoyed beers from most of the breweries your mentioned but prefer to drink beers brewed closer to where I am drinking them. You should be a little less provincial in your statements until you have explored the subject completely.

Woo woo! West coast!

Stone

Russian River

Dechutes

Ballast Point

Lagunitas

Bootleggers

The Bruery

Sierra Nevada

Rogue

Elysian

Hangar 24

AleSmith

Green Flash